Steven J. Brewer
Top Rated Personal Injury Attorney in Oakland, CA
As a partner at Gwilliam, Ivary, Chiosso, Cavalli & Brewer, Steven J. Brewer is dedicated to serving clients in Oakland, California, and throughout Northern California. He focuses his practice on personal injury, handling cases that involve motor vehicle, roadway defect and construction accidents, as well as products liability, general negligence, and medical and legal malpractice.
After earning a Bachelor of Arts from the University of California, Berkeley, in 1976, Mr. Brewer attended Lincoln University of Law receiving a Juris Doctor in 1980.
With more than 40 years of experience, Mr. Brewer understands the devastating impact that suffering serious injuries due to others' carelessness or negligence can have. He strongly believes that everyone who is injured in such situation is entitled to fair compensation for the damages they have suffered. Mr. Brewer has obtained numerous multimillion-dollar verdicts and settlements for his clients, including a $14.8 million verdict for a family whose child suffered a birth injury due to a delayed C-section.
Mr. Brewer works closely with his clients, listening to their needs and goals, and serving as a strong advocate to help them achieve the best possible outcomes to their legal issues. For his efforts, Mr. Brewer has received the highest possible ratings of AV Preeminent* from Martindale-Hubble. He has an Avvo "Superb" rating.
Beyond the courtroom, Mr. Brewer is an active member of the legal community. His professional association memberships include the following: the Alameda-Contra Costa Trial Lawyers' Association, the American Association for Justice, the Alameda County Bar Association, the American Board of Trial Advocates, Consumer Attorneys of California, the International Brain Injury Association, The Bar Association of San Francisco and The Public Justice Foundation.
*AV®, BV®, AV Preeminent® and BV Distinguished® are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer-review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings fall into two categories -legal ability and general practice standards.
- 40%Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 30%Personal Injury - Products: Plaintiff
- 30%Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff
Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Wrongful Death, Construction Accident, Brain Injury, Trucking Accidents, Premises Liability - Plaintiff, Medical Malpractice, Birth Injury
- Super Lawyers: 2005 - 2022
About Steven J. Brewer
First Admitted: 1980, California
Professional Webpage: https://www.giccb.com/Our-Firm/Steven-J-Brewer.shtml
- Northern California Super Lawyers, 2005 - 2018
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Rated
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers, 2011 - 2017
- A $14.8 million verdict against a hospital and doctor for delay in performing a c-section resulting in brain damage to the baby
- A $2.5 million verdict in Las Vegas, Nevada against an interstate trucking company whose driver rear ended a 52 year old man on the freeway resulting in low back injuries
- A $1.6 million verdict against an obstetrician who failed to detect a tubal pregnancy resulting in the death of a 36 year old woman
- A $7.75 million settlement for a client who suffered serious injuries, resulting in quadriplegia, due to the negligence of several contractors on a school construction project
- A $2.5 million settlement for a 24-year-old man who suffered injuries resulting in quadriplegia in premises and products liability claims against Best Western Hotels and Anthony Pools
- A $8.5 million settlement for a 30 year old laborer burned in a gas pipeline explosion
- A $2.3 million jury verdict against the City of San Jose and Granite Construction Co. for serious injuries suffered by a construction worker who was impaled in the cab of his truck when it struck a metal gate pole on a job site
- A confidential settlement for a 44 year-old female airplane janitor struck by the wheel of a passenger loading bridge resulting in the amputation of left leg and severe right leg trauma
- State Bar of California, Member
- Alameda County Bar Association, Member
- Consumer Attorneys of California, Member
- San Francisco Bar Association, Member
- Alameda-Contra Costa Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Member
- National Spinal Cord Injury Association, Member
- Trial Lawyers for Public Justice, Member
- California, 1980
- American Association for Justice, Member
- International Brain Injury Association, Member
- University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, California, B.A., 1976
- Panelist, "Civility Matters"- Alameda County Bar Association, 2013
- Panelist, "Direct & Cross-Examination of Experts" Continuing Education of the Bar, 2006
- Lecturer, "Pleadings & Motions" San Francisco State University Legal Nurse Consulting Program, 1999
- Discussion of the impact of the Howell decision on proof of medical damages at trial, Speaker, Proof of Medical Damages at Trial, Alameda County Bar Association, 2016
- Meet Steven Brewer, Meet Steven Brewer, Esq., 2019
Last Updated: 5/15/2022