Timothy P. Murphy
Top rated Civil Litigation attorney in Pleasant Hill, CaliforniaEdrington Schirmer & Murphy LLP
Timothy P. Murphy, an attorney with Edrington Schirmer & Murphy LLP in Pleasant Hill, California, helps clients address Civil Litigation: Defense situations.
He received legal training from University of San Francisco School of Law. He graduated from law school in 1985. Timothy Murphy became licensed to practice law in 1985.
Timothy Murphy was selected to Super Lawyers. The designation means that he is a top-rated attorney as recognized by peers. He was selected to Super Lawyers for 2011 - 2024.
Practice areasCivil Litigation: Defense, Civil Rights, Employment Litigation: Defense, Personal Injury - General: Defense, Schools & Education
First Admitted: 1985, California
Professional Webpage: http://www.esmlawfirm.com/Bio
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale Hubbell for more than ten consecutive years. Listed in Bar Register of Preeminent Attorneys and named to 2012 - 2023 editions of Best Lawyers in America., https://www.martindale.com/attorney/timothy-p-murphy-282744/
- Member of Contra Costa County and Los Angeles County Bar Associations. Member of DRI.
- E-mentor for local high school law academy, offering information and guidance to students interested in a career in the law.
- U.C. Berkeley, Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, 1982
- Defense verdict for sixteen employees of California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation in federal civil rights action filed by prison inmate after rubber projectile fired by correctional officer during prison dining hall melee struck plaintiff in the eye, necessitating removal of the eye. Plaintiff requested one million dollars in closing argument., 2010
- Successfully defended trial court order sustaining Demurrer and finding that California's Unruh Act was not applicable to public school districts as plaintiff/petitioner appealed decision to First District Court of Appeal and then to California Supreme Court. Final decision rendered was Brennon B. v. Superior Court of Contra Costa County (2022) 13 Cal.5th 662., 2022
- Prevailed on Motion for Summary Judgment/Motion for Reconsideration filed on behalf of local flood control district in dangerous condition of public property/wrongful death claim involving 17-year old high school student killed by a train on a railroad bridge. Student accessed bridge using non-public service road owned by local flood control district. Parents alleged that flood control district's failure to install a fence to prevent access to railroad right of way contributed to their son's death. Court's initial ruling denying motion for summary judgment was reversed on motion for reconsideration., 2020
- Defense verdict in employment-related race discrimination action filed by two school district employees against their employing district., 2009
- Prevailed on motion for summary judgment filed on behalf of public school district in case based on assault of student. Order and resulting judgment affirmed by Court of Appeal after briefing and oral arguments., 2015
- Demurrer sustained without leave to amend in wage and hour case by employee against school district. Resulting judgment upheld after briefing and oral arguments in Court of Appeal., 2014
- Seminar speaker for "Tort Liability Update -- Case Law and Legislation" at CAJPA Fall Conference., 2012
- Presentation concerning the applicability of the Unruh Civil Rights Act to public school districts following trial court order sustaining demurrer and holding that Act did not apply to public school districts. Discussed presentation in Court of Appeal wherein trial court's order was sustained and case status as matter has been accepted for California Supreme Court review., Presenter, The Unruh Civil Rights Act and its Application to Public School Districts, Northern California ReLiEF Annual Conference, 2022
- Presenter on matters related to Title IX and to matter pending in California Supreme Court involving applicability of Unruh Civil Rights Act to public school districts. , Presenter, Title IX Refresher & Unruh Act Litigation, SELF Symposium Series, 2021
- Presentation concerning recent decision from First District Court of Appeal in case of first impression, wherein the Court determined that the provisions of California's Unruh Civil Rights Act are not applicable to public school districts., Featured Speaker at CAJPA Litigation, Insurance and Tort Liability Program, The Unruh Civil Rights Act and Discrimination Claims Against Public School Districts, Public Entities, Joint Powers Associations, Third-Party Claims Administrators., 2021
- Contra Costa County Bar Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Super Lawyers: 2011 - 2024