John S. Poulos
Top rated Business Litigation attorney in Sacramento, CaliforniaLewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith, LLP
John S. Poulos is a partner at Lewis Brisbois Bisgaad & Smith, LLP, in Sacramento, California. With a practice focused on business, commercial and construction litigation, as well as banking and finance law, Mr. Poulos represents clients in the Sacramento area and nationwide. Skilled in courtroom litigation, he is also familiar with alternative dispute resolution methods such as mediation and arbitration.
Educated at Claremont McKenna College, where he earned a degree in economics, Mr. Poulos received his law degree from the University of California, Berkeley, School of Law.
After graduating, Mr. Poulos clerked for the Alaska Supreme Court and later went on to gain litigation experience as both an associate and a partner at another law firm before joining Lewis Brisbois Bisgaad & Smith, LLP. He is admitted to practice in the state courts of California, Alaska, Colorado and Oregon.
Over the course of his legal career, Mr. Poulos has been involved in numerous high-profile cases, several of which have resulted in million- or multimillion-dollar verdicts. In a case involving a breach of contract claim by a utility district against a contractor, Mr. Poulos recovered over $42 million for his client.
Mr. Poulos' successful litigation practice has earned him honors and recognition among his peers in the legal community. The "Best Lawyers in America"* guide named Mr. Poulos one of northern California's top attorneys in 2012 and 2013, and a top attorney in construction and real estate law in 2014. Mr. Poulos has also authored articles in an assortment of publications, and several of his cases have been published as opinions by various appellate courts.
*The Best Lawyers in America® 2013. Copyright 2013 by Woodward/White, Inc., Aiken, SC.
Practice areasBusiness Litigation, Media and Advertising, Construction Litigation: Consumer
- 50% Business Litigation
- 30% Media and Advertising
- 20% Construction Litigation: Consumer
First Admitted: 1991, California
Professional Webpage: http://lewisbrisbois.com/attorneys/poulos-john-s
- Hansen Medical Inc. v. Luna Innovations Inc.
- Cundiff v. Alfa Laval
- Premier Medical v. CNA Insurance - Fourth District Court of Appeal
- 1800 South Maple Street, llc v. Allied Property and Casualty Insurance co.
- Mora v. Minster Machine Co.
- Verizon v. Airtouch - Third District Court of Appeal
- Gomez v. General Motors Corp.
- Reynolds v. Hamilton Materials Inc.
- Marciano v. Fahs, 7/27
- Trealoff v. Forest River Inc.
- Zhao v. Los Angeles Dealers Auto Auction
- Thomas v. Global Vision Products Inc.
- Strange v. Entercom Sacramento, LLC
- U.S. Department of Justice v. Merco Const. Engineers Inc.
- Rogers v. Storms
- Louis Vuitton Malletier s.A. V. Akanoc Solutions Inc.
- Brighton Collectibles Inc. v. Marc Chantal USA Inc.
- American Nurses Association v. O'Connell - Third District Court of Appeal
- Nelsen v. Hillyard Inc.
- Rogers v. State of California
- American Nurses Association v. Torlakson – Third District Court of Appeal
- City of Modesto v. Dow Chemical Co.
- Nolen v. Foster Wheeler
- Medtronic Inc. V. Aga Medical Corp.
- Woodard v. Alfa Laval Inc.
- Campen v. Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Sacramento Municipal Utility District v. Fru-con Construction Corp.
- Elie v. Smith
- Kelemen v. Alfa Laval Inc.
- Citizens of Humanity LLC v. Caitac Corp.
- Health Net v. Haukedelin - Third District Court of Appeal
- Tran v. Arrellano
- Plikaytis v. Roth
- Kern County Water Agency, et al. v. California Department Water Resources - Fourth District Court of Appeal
- Pierson v. Ford Motor Co.
- Bisby v. Weitzeil
- Auerbach Acquisition Associates Inc. v. Daily
- Anmari Electronics v. Pacific Bell Directory
- Arellano v. Fillmore Convalescent Center
- Bianchi v. Demma
- Gottesman v. Cathedral Oaks Tennis
- Nonprofit Defends Purchase Deals for City of Los Angeles, Authors: Deborah B. Baum, Andrew D. Bluth, Alvin Dunn, John S. Poulos, Chris R. Rodriguez, 4/25/2008
- Pillsbury Winthrop on Affordable Housing 2003 Issue, Authors: Rachel B. Horsch, Michael Ouimette, John S. Poulos, Matthew Africa, Jason A. Hobson, Tuan A. Pham, Monique L.C. Wright, Paul R. Schrecongost, Gary Downs, 2/18/2003
- Supreme Court Settles Jurisdiction Question Under Telephone Consumer Protection Act, Authors: Andrew D. Bluth, Lauren Lynch Flick, John S. Poulos, 1/19/2012
- Recognized by Best Lawyers as Top Attorney in Construction Law and Real Estate law 2014
- Recognized by Best Lawyers as a Top Attorney in Northern California 2012-2013
- Recognized as a Northern California Super Lawyer 2005, 2011-2013
- Claremont McKenna College, Bachelor of Arts, 1987
- Nevada, 2019
- Washington, 2017
- Banking & Finance Practice Group and the Commercial Litigation Practice Group, Vice-Chair
- California, 1991
- Colorado, 1994
- Alaska, 1994
- Oregon, 2011
Office location for John S. Poulos
2020 W. El Camino Avenue
Sacramento, CA 95833
- Super Lawyers: 2005, 2011 - 2023