R. Brooks Whitehead
Top rated Business & Corporate attorney in Sacramento, CaliforniaMurphy Austin Adams Schoenfeld LLP
Practice Areas: Business & Corporate, Real Estate, Tax view more
Licensed in California since: 2009
Education: University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law
Murphy Austin Adams Schoenfeld LLP555 Capitol Mall
Sacramento, CA 95814 Phone: 916-446-2300 Email: R. Brooks Whitehead Visit website
Brooks Whitehead is a partner at Murphy Austin, practicing in the firm’s Real Estate, Corporate and Business, and Tax and Estate Planning Teams. As evidenced by his work with each of these practice groups, Brooks’s substantial breadth and depth of experience in transactional matters allows Brooks to bring a holistic approach to the representation of his clients.
Brooks frequently assists clients with complex real estate transactions relating to the purchase and sale of real property, including real estate financing, and the formation of entities used to acquire real property, such as partnerships and LLCs. Brooks also represents landlords and tenants seeking to lease or ground lease commercial, industrial, and retail space, with a particular focus on office and medical office leasing.
His business/corporate practice includes assisting clients in matters related to choice of entity, formation, and governance; mergers and acquisitions; and contract negotiation and drafting. He has advised and represented entities of all forms and types, including for-profit and nonprofit.
Brooks’s tax background further bolsters his real estate and business/corporate practice, as Brooks is fluent in matters of partnership, corporate, income, property, and sales and use tax. Brooks also has experience with estate/gift tax and complex estate planning.
Brooks is a former Chair and Board member of the Tax Section of the Sacramento County Bar Association (SCBA), and participates in the Tax, Business, and Real Property Sections of the SCBA.
Brooks serves on the Board of Directors for PBS KVIE Public Television in Sacramento, and currently holds the position of Secretary on the Board’s executive committee. Brooks is also co-commissioner/founder of “The League of Extraordinary Professionals,” a fantasy football league whose participants commit to making a charitable donation to the cause selected by each year’s league champion.
Brooks received his law degree (J.D.) from the University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, where he was named a member of the Roger J. Traynor Honor Society. He also holds a Master of Laws (LL.M.) in Transnational Business Practice from McGeorge, where his coursework emphasized taxation (including production of a master’s thesis regarding tax planning with IC-DISCs). Brooks received a Master’s Degree in Business Administration (MBA) from California State University, Sacramento, and double-majored in Economics and Political Science while at the University of California, Davis.
Brooks was named a Rising Star by Northern California Super Lawyers for seven consecutive years (2015-2021). He also maintains an AVVO attorney rating of 10.0 Superb.
Practice areasBusiness/Corporate, Real Estate: Business, Tax: Business, Tax: Consumer
First Admitted: 2009, California
Professional Webpage: http://www.murphyaustin.com/practice-teams/practice-teams-ov...
- 2014-2016, University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law - Transnational Business Practice LLM (emphasis in tax)
- 2007-2009, California State University Sacramento - MBA
- 2005-2008, University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, Juris Doctor
- 1999-2003, UC Davis, Economics, BA; Political Science, BA
- 2014, Sacramento County Bar Association - Tax Section, Chair
- Member, Sacramento County Bar Association, Business Section, 2014
- 2011-2014, Sacramento County Bar Association - Tax Section, Board Member
- 2009-Current, California Bar
- Member, Sacramento County Bar Association, Tax Section, 2009
- 2010-Current, Sacramento Estate Planning Council, Member
- Member, Sacramento County Bar Association, Real Property Section, 2015
- 2014-2015, Transnational Business Practice LLM Program, Scholarship, Pacific McGeorge Institutional Scholarship Award
- AVVO Attorney Rating: 10.0 Superb
- 2006-2008, Dean's Honor List, McGeorge School of Law
- 2006-2007, Academic Achievement Award, McGeorge School of Law
- 2005-2006, Barrister's Scholarship, McGeorge School of Law
- 1999-2003, Scholarship, Schwab-Rosenhouse Memorial Scholarship
- Traynor Honor Society, McGeorge School of Law
- Rising Stars: 2015 - 2021