Stuart C. Talley
Top Rated Class Action & Mass Torts Attorney in Sacramento, CA
- Free Consultation
Attorney Stuart C. Talley is a partner with Kershaw, Cook & Talley, law firm, which has offices in Sacramento and Chico, California. A highly rated trial attorney with more than 25 years of total legal experience, Mr. Talley provides exceptional representation and support to clients throughout Sacramento, El Dorado, Placer, Yolo, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Butte and Yuba counties who have legal needs involving any of the following:
- Class actions involving false advertising, unfair insurance practices, and consumer protection violations
- Whistleblower lawsuits
- Personal injury and wrongful death claims arising from motor vehicle accidents, construction accidents, unsafe property conditions, defective and dangerous products and medication, and other preventable tragedies
- Toxic exposure and class action claims involving environmental hazards, Roundup exposure, TDF lawsuits and more
- Injuries arising from defective medical devices
- Elder abuse
- Spinal cord and traumatic brain injuries
- Business litigation
- Handling numerous complex cases before state and federal courts across the country, Mr. Talley has achieved remarkable success advocating on behalf of his plaintiff clients suffering needlessly through no fault of their own. Over the course of his legal career, he has gained a reputation as a leader in litigation involving dangerous pharmaceutical drugs, defective medical devices and defective products, and he has recovered millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts for those he has served.
Among his most notable successes, he helped secure a $2.4 billion-dollar global settlement against a major hip implant manufacturer and a $240 million nationwide settlement against a maker of malfunctioning cardiac defibrillators. He has also obtained a class action award of $211 million against a major automobile manufacturer along with a $25 million award against a major online service provider that overcharged subscribers.
Honored for his outstanding professionalism and service, Mr. Talley earned a Top Lawyer designation from Sacramento Magazine each year between 2015 and 2018 along with many other endorsements from his peers. He has also received numerous testimonials and referrals from his satisfied clients.
A 1992 graduate of the University of California Santa Barbara, Mr. Talley obtained his Juris Doctor magna cum laude from Pepperdine University School of Law in 1995, where he was an editor of the Bar Review. He is an active member of the Sacramento County Bar Association as well as the American Association for Justice and The State Bar of California.
Mr. Talley has also served on the board of the Capitol City Trial Lawyers Association, and is a member of the Consumer Attorneys of America and the Federal Bar Association, among his other professional affiliations.
- 50%Class Action/Mass Torts: Plaintiff
- 20%Employment Litigation: Plaintiff
- 10%Consumer Law
- 10%Elder Law
- 10%Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
Class Actions, Toxic Torts, Employment Law - Employer, Consumer Protection
- Super Lawyers: 2015 - 2022
About Stuart C. Talley
First Admitted: 1995, California
Professional Webpage: https://www.kctlegal.com/our-team/stuart-c-talley/
- Kaiser Kidney Transplant Litigation – Mr. Talley was the lead attorney in a case representing over 100 Kaiser patients who were on the national kidney transplant list. The plaintiffs in the case alleged that through administrative blunders, Kaiser dropped patients waiting for kidneys from the national transplant list and, as a result, they did not obtain kidney transplants they otherwise should have received. The cases settled for a confidential sum.
- Contratto v. Ethicon, Johnson & Johnson, Lifecore, et al U.S. District Court, Northern CA. No. C03-3804MJJ ARB, Mr. Talley served as lead counsel in this mass tort action involving some sixty plaintiffs initially filed in the Northern District of California and ultimately prosecuted in Florida State Court, West Palm Beach, Florida. The action sought damages caused by the medical device, Intergel, a product intended to reduce adhesions in women undergoing abdominal surgery. However, in certain women, the device caused injury by actually increasing adhesions. The case was prosecuted over three years resulting in a global settlement on behalf of KCR’s clients. The settlement amount and the terms of the settlement are confidential.
- Gynecare Intergel Litigation – Mr. Talley represented 60 women who alleged they were injured following the use of a product known as Gynecare Intergel. The product was marketed by J&J subsidiary, Ethicon, Inc., and was recalled following its use in approximately 80,000 women. The cases settled for a confidential sum.
- Larkin v. Best Buy – Mr. Talley served as lead counsel in this consumer class action against Best Buy alleging that the marketing of its extended warranties is false and misleading. Specifically the complaint alleged that Best Buy did not have in place a sufficient number of service centers and technicians to make warranty repairs in a timely manner.
- Nguyen et al. v. BMW of North America, LLC, Case No. 3:10-cv-02257, in the Northern District of California. In this class action, Mr. Talley represented plaintiffs alleging BMW stopped replacing defective components and altered the vehicle's software after discovering design flaws in BMW models containing N54 engines. The case resolved in a settlement on behalf of roughly 200,000 class members for $211,470,000.
- In re Vicryl Sutures Litigation, Judicial Council Coordination proceeding No. 4148, Alameda County Superior Court, California; Neely, et al. v. Ethicon, Inc., et al. Civil No. 1:00CV569. U.S. District Court for Eastern District of Texas: Mr. Talley served as lead counsel in this mass tort action involving Ethicon Inc. and Johnson & Johnson's contaminated Vicryl sutures proceeding in multiple federal and state courts throughout the United States. Following a highly contested certification process and hearing seeking certification of a FRCP 23(c)(4)(A) class, the case was litigated to a successful resolution in a confidential proceeding.
- In Re AOL Spin-Off Sub Account Litigation – Mr. Talley and his firm were lead counsel in this MDL proceeding wherein it was alleged that millions of AOL subscribers improperly had screen names "spun-off" into separate accounts and were then billed additional fees for these "spun-off" accounts. The settlement in this case was valued at approximately $25,000,000.
- Schlegel v. Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, Inc. et al – Mr. Talley was the lead attorney representing over 100 Kaiser Patients placed on the national kidney transplant list. The plaintiffs in the case alleged Kaiser dropped patients waiting for kidneys from the national transplant list due to administrative blunders. As a result, they did not obtain kidney transplants. The cases settled for a confidential sum.
- In Re Guidant Defibrillator Litigation – Mr. Talley and his firm were part of the Plaintiff's Steering Committee in this MDL proceeding that sought reimbursement for more 5,000 individuals who had defective Guidant defibrillators placed in their bodies. A settlement in this case was recently announced wherein plaintiffs will receive more than $200,000,000.
Pro bono/Community Service
- Long Beach Barristers, Past President
- Rebuild McKinley Park Project, Organizer and Fundraiser
- Sacred Heart Elementary School, Volunteer Youth Basketball and Baseball Coach
- Capitol City Trial Lawyers Association, Past Board Member
- Federal Bar Association
- Consumer Attorneys of America
- The State Bar of California
- Sacramento County Bar Association, Member
- American Association for Justice, Member
- Long Beach Inns of Court, Member
- University of California, Santa Barbara, Bachelor of Arts, Honors: with High Honors, 1992
- Author, Performance Rights in Sound Records: Is There Justification In the Age of Digital Broadcasting, 28 Beverly Hills Bar Journal 79, 1994
- National Business Institute, Guest Lecturer
- Top Lawyer in the Sacramento region, Sacramento Magazine, 2015
- 1st Place Award for Excellence in Writing, Beverly Hills Bar Association, 1995
- Northern California Super Lawyer, 2015
- Medical Device
Last Updated: 5/15/2022