Amber L. Eck
Top rated employment litigation attorney in San Diego, CaliforniaHaeggquist & Eck, LLP
Amber Eck, partner and trial attorney at Haeggquist & Eck, is a tenacious advocate for employees, consumers and shareholders, and has been for the past 27 years. Amber has taken cases to trial in both state and federal court as lead trial attorney, and has recovered millions of dollars for her clients in settlements. Amber doesn’t shy away from high-profile defendants — a fact well-illustrated by her role as co-lead counsel in the well-publicized class action against President Donald Trump and Trump University, which settled for $25 million. For her work in the case, which spanned seven years, Amber and her partners took no fees. In 2016, the Trump University settlement was deemed one of California’s Top 50 Class Action Settlements.
Ms. Eck has been recognized by Super Lawyers as one of the top 25 women lawyers in San Diego and top 50 lawyers in San Diego for the past two years. She and her firm have also been selected by U.S. News & World Reports as “Best Lawyers in America” and “Best Law Firm” for 2022. She graduated from Boston University School of Law magna cum laude, and Pepperdine University magna cum laude.
Amber is dedicated to providing pro bono legal assistance to underserved populations. She is a current member of the Southern District of California’s Pro Bono Panel, and has received the Distinguished Service Award and Wiley W. Manuel Pro Bono Service Award from the San Diego Volunteer Lawyers Program (“SDVLP”). Ms. Eck is also the author of numerous articles and frequent lecturer on employment law, class actions, and other legal issues.
She is a Master in the Welsh Inn of Court, a member of the California Employment Lawyers Association (“CELA”), Lawyers Club of San Diego, Federal Bar Association, and the American Association for Justice (“AAJ”). Outside the office, Amber enjoys going to the beach with her dog, hiking, skiing, scuba diving and spending time with her husband and teenage daughters.
Practice areasEmployment litigation: plaintiff, Class action/mass torts: plaintiff, Employment & labor: employee, Securities & corporate finance, Consumer law
Employment discrimination, Wrongful termination, Retaliation, Class actions, Employment law - employee, Wage & hour laws, Whistleblower, Sexual harassment, Labor law, Securities law
- 30% Employment litigation: plaintiff
- 20% Class action/mass torts: plaintiff
- 20% Employment & labor: employee
- 20% Securities & corporate finance
- 10% Consumer law
First Admitted: 1995, California
Professional Webpage: https://haelaw.com/attorney/amber-eck/
- REPRESENTATIVE CASES:Alexis v. Rogers, 2016 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 47031 (S.D. Cal., Feb. 26, 2016)In re Ecotality, Inc. Sec. Litig., 2015 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 114804 (Aug. 28, 2015)Cohen v. Trump, 303 F.R.D. 376 (S.D. Cal., Oct. 24, 2014) Makaeff v. Trump Univ., LLC, 26 F. Supp. 3d 1002 (S.D. Cal., June 16, 2014)Cohen v. Trump, 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 23885 (S.D. Cal., Feb. 21, 2014)Makaeff v. Trump Univ., LLC, 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 22392 (S.D. Cal., Feb. 21, 2014)Makaeff v. Trump Univ., LLC, 715 F.3d 254 (9th Cir., April 17, 2013)Brennan v. United States TelePacific Corp., 2013 Cal. App. Unpub. LEXIS 712 (4th Dist. Ct. App., Jan. 30, 2013)West Palm Beach Police Pension Fund v. Cardionet, Inc., 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 30607 (S.D. Cal., Mar. 24, 2011)In re Sony VAIO Computer Notebook Trackpad Litig., 2010 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 115142 (S.D. Cal., Oct. 27, 2010)Lane v. Page (“Westland”), 581 F. Supp. 2d 1094 (D.N.M., Sept. 24, 2008)In re Wireless Facilities, Inc., 253 F.R.D. 607 (S.D. Cal., Sept. 3, 2008)New Eng. Health Care Emples. Pension Fund v. Fruit of the Loom, Inc., 234 F.R.D. 627 (W.D.Ky., Mar. 17, 2006)In re Sprint Corp. Secs. Litig., 2004 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 7898 (D. Kan., Feb. 24, 2004) StorMedia Inc. v. Superior Court, 20 Cal. 4th 449 (May 27, 1999)
- Ms. Eck was selected by her peers for recognition of her professional excellence in the 29th edition of The Best Lawyers in America for her work in: (1) Consumer Protection Law; (2) Labor and Employment Litigation; and (3) Securities Litigation., 2022
- National Association of Women Business Owners’ (NAWBO), Trailblazer’s Award, 2017
- , Best Lawyers in America and Best Law Firm, U.S. News & World Reports, 2022
- Super Lawyer
- Finalist for San Diego Magazine’s Woman Of The Year Award
- Ms. Eck received the Distinguished Service Award for pro bono service for her work on Sanchez v. County of San Diego., Distinguished Service award for Pro Bono Service, San Diego Volunteer Lawyers Program
- San Diego Business Journal’s Best of the Bar in 2017
- The National Association of Women Business Owners (NAWBO) has served since its inception in 1975 as the unified voice of over 9 million women-owned businesses in the United States. The annual BRAVO awards honor the accomplishments and contributions of entrepreneurial women who are leading the way in their local business communities, Woman Business Owner of the Year nominee, National Association of Women Business Owners, 2016
- Ms. Eck recieved the Wiley W. Manuel Pro Bono Service Award from the San Diego Volunteer Lawyers Program for her pro bono work in Badua v. City of San Diego., Wiley W. Manuel Pro Bono Service Award, San Diego Volunteer Lawyers Program
- Utilizing a peer nomination and review process, “Best of the Bar” honors San Diego lawyers who have made a significant impact on their profession and community. Amber Eck was selected for inclusion in the list after votes of more than 1,200 attorneys from throughout San Diego County were considered to determine the region’s best advocates in a wide range of practice areas., Best of the Bar, San Diego Business Journal
- Amber Eck is AV Preeminent-Rated by the Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings System. The AV Rating by Martindale-Hubbell is the highest level of professional excellence at which an attorney can be ranked by their peers. The Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings System is based on the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and the Judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell representatives conduct personal interviews to discuss lawyers under review with other members of the Bar. A compilation of these opinions from fifteen judges and practicing attorneys is necessary to form a consensus. In addition, confidential questionnaires are sent to lawyers and judges in the same geographic location and/or area of practice as the lawyer being rated. Members of the Bar are instructed to assess their colleague’s legal ability and general ethical standards. Lawyer Ratings serve as an objective indicator that a lawyer has the highest ethical standards and professional ability and are used by buyers of legal services to justify their hiring decisions, AV Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell, 2016
- CardioNet, Inc. (San Diego Sup. Ct.) – Total Settlement - $7.25 million (2012)Ecotality, Inc. Sec. Litig. (N.D. Cal.) – Total Settlement - $1.1 million (2015)Makaeff v. Trump University, LLC (S.D. Cal.) – Order awarding $798,779 in attorneys’ fees and costs on Plaintiffs’ successful Anti-SLAPP motion (2015)NQ Mobile Sec. Litig. (S.D.N.Y.) – Total Settlement - $5.1M (2016)Cliffs Natural Resources, Inc. (N.D. Ohio) – Total Settlement - $84 million (2016)
- El Pollo Loco - $20 million for securities class action settlement.
- Cliffs Natural Rescources, Inc. - $84 securities class action settlement.
- Class action against Donald Trump and Trump University, settled for $25 million in 2018, 2018
- Ms. Eck has written articles for publication, including “Lessons Learned from Mentors of the Past,” which was published in the national American Inn of Court magazine, The Bencher, in January, 2011. She has also lectured to law school students and attorneys, including a Lawyers Club symposium regarding Small Law Firms and Sole Practitioners, and Lawyers Club panel on Time Management for Attorneys.
- Ms. Eck spoke on using “The Law as a Tool” at the International Agro-Ecological & Environmental Conference in San Francisco., Speaker, The Law as a Tool, International Agro-Ecological & Environmental Conference
- Ms. Eck served as a discussion facilitator at the Lawyers Club Solutions Summit on the topic of Eliminating Sexual Harassment, Sexism & Bullying in the Workplace., Discussion Facilitator, Eliminating Sexual Harassment, Sexism & Bullying in the Workplace., Lawyers Club , Employment Law
- Ms. Eck spoke to the Public Interest Advocacy Collaborative on “Using a Victim Advocate to Strengthen Your Civil Case.”, Speaker, Using a Victim Advocate to Strengthen Your Civil Case, Public Interest Advocacy Collaborative, Employment Law
- Panelist, Lawyers Club Small Law Firms and Sole Practitioner Conference on Time Management for Attorneys
- Panelist, 2017 California Women Lawyers Conference on Transitions to Leadership
- Ms. Eck is a Lifetime Member of Girl Scouts of America, and has served as a Girl Scout troop leader for the past six years. Ms. Eck has also served as the GATE District Advisory Council Representative for Loma Portal Elementary School, volunteer for Genesis Diez (which provides service to orphans and indigenous poor children in Baja, Mexico), and as a Deacon for Point Loma Community Presbyterian Church. Amber Eck is also active in Christian Youth Theater (“CYT”) and has served on the public relations and historian committees.
- Point Loma Community Presbyterian Church, Deacon
- Genesis Diez, Volunteer
- Lawyers Club Human Trafficking Collaborative, Member
- S.D. Cal. Pro Bono Panel, Member
- Wiley W. Manuel Pro Bono Service Award for Badua v. City of San Diego (1999)
- Distinguished Service Award for pro bono service in Sanchez v. County of San Diego (2002)
- Boston University School of Law, JD (Magna cum laude) - 1995 Edward F. Hennessey Distinguished Scholar (top 1% third year – 4th out of 381 students) Concentration in health care law, with honors Law Related Education (LRE) Program; Director, 1992-1993 International Law Journal; Case & Note Editor, 1994-1995; member, 1993-1994 Giles S. Rich Intellectual Property Moot Court Team, Best Brief, Northeast Region, 1995 Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity, Chapter Justice, 1993-1994; Vice Justice, 1992-1993 International Law Society, 1993-1995Pepperdine University, B.A. (Magna cum laude) - 1990 Volunteer Center, co-founder and coordinator of Malibu Jr. High Tutoring Program, 1989-1990 Pi Beta Phi sorority, historian, 1989-1990; member 1988-1990 Alpha Chi National Honor Society, President, 1989-1990, member 1987-1990, 1995
- Pepperdine University, 1990
- Amber Eck Bio Video, Amber Eck, Haeggquist & Eck Bio Video, Employment Law, 2021
- American Association for Justice ("AAJ"), 2022
- Louis M. Welsh American Inn of Court, Master
- Federal Bar Association, 1997-2000, 2008-present
- San Diego Barristers Club, Board of Directors, 1996-1998
- National Employment Lawyers Assn. ("NELA"), 2016-present
- San Diego County Bar Assn., 1995-present
- Consumer Attorneys of San Diego, 2010-present
- California Employment Lawyers Assn. ("CELA"), 2015-present
- Lawyers Club, Sustaining Member, 1995-2000, 2008-present
Office location for Amber L. Eck
San Diego, CA 92101
- Super Lawyers: 2017 - 2023