Jan Joseph Bejar
Top rated Immigration attorney in San Diego, CaliforniaLaw Offices of Jan Joseph Bejar, A PLC
The Law Offices of Jan Joseph Bejar, A P.L.C., in San Diego, California, was founded by attorney Jan Joseph Bejar. Mr. Bejar has more than 40 years of experience handling immigration cases and serves clients in Southern California and across the country.
Mr. Bejar has been licensed to practice law in California since 1983 and has been practicing immigration law since that time. He is also admitted before federal courts, including the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th and 9th Circuits and the Supreme Court of the United States.
Over the course of his career, Mr. Bejar has developed a reputation as a strong advocate for his clients who are facing immigration issues. He speaks English and Spanish, allowing him to communicate with and help a wider range of individuals.
Outside of the office, Mr. Bejar is active in his legal community and belongs to organizations, including the San Diego County Bar Association and the American Immigration Lawyers Association where he served as the vice president for the San Diego chapter. He is a former adjunct professor and director of the immigration law clinic at the University of San Diego School of Law, where he taught from 1994 to 2013. He served as a commissioner on the State Bar of California's Immigration & Nationality Law Advisory Commission from 1999 to 2003.
Mr. Bejar holds a bachelor’s degree from the University of California San Diego, a master’s degree from the University of Southern California and earned his law degree from the University of San Diego School of Law. He is board certified in immigration law by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization.
Practice areasImmigration: Consumer
- 100% Immigration: Consumer
First Admitted: 1983, California
Professional Webpage: https://www.immigrationlawclinic.com/Attorneys/Jan-J-Bejar.s...
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1984
- San Diego County Bar Association, Member
- California, 1983
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California, 1983
- Immigration and Nationality Law Advisory Committee, Member
- American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA), San Diego Chapter, Former Vice Chapter Chair
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1997
- American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA), Member
- Immigration Law, State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization
- Adjunct Professor and Director, University of San Diego School of Law, Immigration Law Clinic, 1994 - 2013
- University of California, San Diego, California, B.A., 1977
- University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, M.A., 1980
- TIMES OF SAN DIEGO San Diego immigration lawyer Jan Bejar received Mexico’s prestigious Ohtli Award Monday at a Mexican National Day ceremony on the UC San Diego Campus. The Ohtli Award, which stands for "path" in the Nahuatl language, is the highest recognition granted by the Government of Mexico to individuals who have made exceptional contributions to the development of the Mexican community abroad. The vision of Jan Bejar, - an immigrant himself- is to defend and work for the immigrants of the Mexican community in San Diego, California. Although he first majored in Communications at the University of San Diego, not long after this he went through Law School as well. Halfway through his studies, he decided that studying law was possibly not his calling; however, after an immigration law class Jan discovered what he was meant to do and has done for the past 34 years: defend, protect and protest unfair conditions that are sometimes imposed upon Mexican immigrants due to their backgrounds., Recipient of the Ohtli Award , Government of Mexico, 2017
- Won an important victory at 9th Circuit Court of Appeals in Lorenzo-Lopez v. Barr. A Defective NTA Cannot be Perfected. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit ruled in Lopez v. Barr that the law provides that the NTA must contain the date and time of the hearing, otherwise it is defective and, therefore, does not trigger the stop-time rule. May 28, 2019 Lopez v. Barr Decision Could Save Thousands from Deportation, 2019
Office location for Jan Joseph Bejar
3230 Fifth Avenue
San Diego, CA 92103
- Super Lawyers: 2007 - 2024