Michelle L. Burton
Top rated Insurance Coverage attorney in San Diego, CaliforniaBurton Kelley LLP
Michelle L. Burton is the managing partner at Burton Kelley LLP, where she focuses her practice on insurance law. Located in San Diego, she provides representation to insurance companies throughout California. Admitted to practice in both California and Washington, Ms. Burton is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Courts for the Central and Southern Districts of California and the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington. She has been certified as a specialist in appellate law by the Board of Legal Specialization of The State Bar of California.
Ms. Burton provides defense representation to her insurance clients in cases involving coverage disputes, bad faith claims and other related matters. At both the trial and appellate levels, she has been able to obtain successful results in many of her cases, earning her an "Excellent" peer review rating through Avvo. In one representative case, she obtained a verdict for a client that had been sued by a homeowners insurance policy holder who had asked for more than $9 million in compensatory and punitive damages after her client had denied coverage. In a case for the same client that reached the appellate level, Ms. Burton was able to obtain a reversal of a lower court's decision that had awarded the plaintiff $1.9 million.
Outside of the courtroom, Ms. Burton has assisted her insurance company clients in drafting amendments to policies in order to comply with statutory changes, and she has trained their employees on the state's fair claims settlement practices regulations. A graduate of San Diego State University, where she majored in political science and received a Bachelor of Arts with distinction in 1991, she obtained her legal education at California Western School of Law and was awarded her Juris Doctor in 1996.
Practice areasInsurance Coverage, Civil Litigation: Defense, Appellate
Appeals, Bad Faith Insurance, Insurance, Insurance Defense
- 50% Insurance Coverage
- 40% Civil Litigation: Defense
- 10% Appellate
First Admitted: 1996, California
Professional Webpage: https://www.burtonkelley.com/michelle-l-burton
- Heaton v. Alindajao
- Heppler v. Peters
- Decena v. Pacific Specialty
- Otay Land v. United Enterprises (9th Circuit)
- Morgan v. Pacific Specialty
- Roepel v. Pacific Specialty
- Douglas v. Fidelity National Insurance Company
- Vanderhyde v. Pacific Specialty Ins. Co.
- Benyamine v. Pacific Specialty Ins. Co.
- Morgan v. Pacific Specialty Ins. co.
- Roepel v. Pacific Specialty Ins. Co.
- Hoffman v. King
- Allstate v. Pacific Specialty Ins. Co.
- Rouland v. Pacific Specialty Ins. Co.
- San Diego Business Journal Semi Finalist for Women Who Mean Business, 2013
- American Juris Purdence Award in Alternative Dispute Resolution, 1998
- Top Attorneys Semi-finalist, 2001
- Certified Appellate Specialist, 2013
- Bachelor of Science in Poltical Science from San Diego State University (1991)
- President Run Women Run (2010 to Present) - A non-partisan political action committee dedicated to the advancement of women in politics. Awarded Presidential Service Award for Community Service (2016) Member of Sprites of East County (2014 to Present) - a mother/daughter philanthrophic organization. Provides political and legal analysis for local media.
- State Bar of California , 1996
- State Bar of Washington, 1998
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California , 2006
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 2011
- California Women Lawyers, Member
- San Diego County Bar, Member
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
- President of Association of Business Trial Lawyers in San Diego (2018) Member Lawyers Club Member San Diego County Bar Member The Fellow of the American Bar Foundation Member American Bar Association Member Los Angeles County Bar
- Panel speaker, Combined Claims Conference on issues involving 2071 property appraisals, Panel Speaker, Combined Claims Conference, 2016
- Panel Speaker, Association of Business Trial Lawyers on the use of social media in jury selection
Office location for Michelle L. Burton
1450 Frazee Rd
San Diego, CA 92108
- Super Lawyers: 2018 - 2024
Certificates and credentials