Top rated Employment Litigation attorney in San Diego, CaliforniaBerger & Williams, LLP
Timothy Williams is managing partner at the law firm Berger & Williams, LLP, in San Diego, California. Focusing his practice on employment litigation and counseling, Tim provides expert representation to his clients. Tim litigates significant and complex cases involving wage/hour, discrimination, harassment, and separation and termination matters. Tim regularly advises executives on employment contract and separation agreements, and works with businesses on compliance and training matters.
Tim is a member of the California Lawyers Association Labor and Employment Section's Executive Committee. Tim is also serves on the Board of Directors for the San Diego County Bar Association. Tim teaches advanced employment practices courses to employment lawyers, teaches employment law clinics to law students, authors and edits employment practice guides, and volunteers in various community projects, including as a volunteer mediator.
In his practice, Tim is a dedicated and persistent attorney who takes the time to listen to his clients and form strategies for each of their unique cases. Tim uses the experience of representing workers and companies to fight aggressively for his client's interests.
In addition to advocating for their rights and liberties, Tim has significant experience in cases involving classes of workers and consumers. He has been selected to serve as lead counsel in many high-stakes class action disputes.
With a Bachelor of Arts degree in social sciences and communication, Mr. Williams graduated from the University of Southern California. He pursued law at the South Texas College of Law Houston in business and corporate law and earned his Juris Doctor in 1996. In law school, he participated in the law school’s nationally-renowned advocacy programs.
In 2014, Mr. Williams attended Pepperdine University Law School's Strauss Institute for Dispute Resolution for Mediating the Litigated Case training. Tim is also active in his legal community through memberships in the American Bar Association, the State Bar of California’s Labor and Employment Section, the San Diego County Bar Association, Lawyers Club of San Diego, and Tom Homann LGBTQ Law Association.
Recognized for his work in the employment law field, Tim has received an AV Preeminent* peer-review rating through Martindale-Hubbell. Lawdragon 500 named him to its Leading Plaintiff Employment Lawyers list, and he has a “Good” rating on Avvo.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer-review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasEmployment Litigation: Defense, Employment Litigation: Plaintiff, Employment & Labor: Employee, Employment & Labor: Employer, Entertainment & Sports
Employment Law - Employee, Sexual Harassment, Wage & Hour Laws, Whistleblower
- 20% Employment Litigation: Defense
- 30% Employment Litigation: Plaintiff
- 20% Employment & Labor: Employee
- 20% Employment & Labor: Employer
- 10% Entertainment & Sports
First Admitted: 1996, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://bergerwilliams.com/attorney/timothy-g-williams/
- Prince, et. al. v. CLS Limo, et al. (2004) 118 Cal.App.4th 1320 (Plaintiffs’ Counsel).
- Moorer v. StemGenex Medical Group, Inc. (S.D. Cal., June 25, 2019, No. 16-CV-2816-AJB-NLS) 2019 WL 2602536 (Plaintiffs’ Lead Counsel At Class Certification Oral Argument)
- Pataky v. Brigantine, Inc. (S.D. Cal., Jan. 14, 2019, No. 317CV352GPCAGS) 2019 WL 183583 (Plaintiffs’ Class Counsel)
- Quiles/Turman v. Koji’s Japan, Inc.
- Brinker Restaurant Corp. v. Superior Court (2012) 53 Cal.4th 1004 (Amici Curiae).
- "AV" rating from Martindale Hubbell
- Alumnus of the Louis M. Welsh American Inn of Court
- Annual update on state wage-and-hour laws., Senior Editor & Chakter Author, Bureau of National Affairs/American Bar Association Section of Labor and Employment Law, “Wage and Hour Laws–A State by State Survey”
- Recent: February 2021, American Bar Association, Section of Labor and Employment Law, Federal Labor Standards Legislation Committee “Midwinter Meeting,” speaking on “Top Ten Trends Affecting Wage and Hour Practitioners: It All Began in the States”
- Recent: April 2021, Presentation of “One Year Later: COVID-19 and Workers’ Compensation Updates on Presumptions, Cal/OSHA, LOA’s, the Vaccine, and Pending Bills,” speaking on federal and California COVID-19 paid sick leave legislation
- Recent: September 2022, California Lawyers Association Labor and Employment Law Section’s Annual Wage and Hour Conference, “Wage and Hour Update,” presenting a summary of recent legislation and case activity
- Recent: November 4, 2022, San Diego County Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Section’s panel discussion on “Being an Employment Mediation Advocate: Strategies for Mediating Employment Cases”
- Upcoming: September 2023, California Lawyers Association Annual Meeting; Speaking on an “Employee Misclassification Issues in Franchise Law” panel
- Upcoming: January 19-20, 2023, California Lawyers Association Labor and Employment Law Section’s Annual “New Employment Practitioners Conference,” speaking on the “Employment Law 101 Basics” panel
- Annual update on FMLA/USERRA leave laws, Chapter Author, Practising Law Institute “Employment Law Yearbook” (Family, Medical and Military Leave chapter)
- University of Southern California, B.A. in Social Sciences and Communications with an emphasis in International Relations, 1993
- Texas, 1997
- Lawyers Club of San Diego
- State Bar of California
- California Lawyers Association, Labor & Employment (Executive Committee), and Litigation
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, San Diego County Bar Association (Bench Bar Committee)
- Athletic clubs and companies
- Defense Contractors
Office location for Timothy Williams
401 B Street
San Diego, CA 92101
- Super Lawyers: 2009 - 2024