Alan R. Silverman, Ph.D.
Top Rated Family Law Attorney in San Francisco, CA
Alan R. Silverman, Ph.D. is a Certified Family Law Specialist and the founder of Silverman Family Law. His office is located in Newport Beach, California. His practice is focused on the mediation and private judging of family law matters. He is available for consultations on family law issues.
Mr. Silverman received his undergraduate degree in psychology from the University of California, Berkeley, in 1970. After obtaining a Ph.D. in counseling psychology from the University of Oklahoma in 1976, he received a marriage, family and child therapy license from the state of California the following year. He remained active as a therapist until 1989, when he entered Whittier Law School, earning his Juris Doctor in 1991. This extensive background in psychology has provided Mr. Silverman with a rich and unique perspective in his family law practice and is invaluable when he is resolving family law cases with complex psychological issues.
Mr. Silverman has extensive experience in high-conflict custody cases and cases involving domestic violence, substance abuse and parental alienation issues.
Admitted to practice in California, Mr. Silverman is certified as a specialist in family law by the Board of Legal Specialization of the State Bar of California. He has also received extensive training in mediation, alternative dispute resolution and collaborative divorce law and serves as a settlement attorney for the Unified Family Court of the Superior Court of California - County of San Francisco and San Diego County Family Court.
Mr. Silverman has taught classes at several higher education institutions, most recently as an adjunct professor in the family law paralegal program at San Francisco State University. He has served since 2007 as a judge pro tempore on the Superior Court of California - County of San Francisco.
About Alan R. Silverman, Ph.D.
First Admitted: 1993, California
Professional Webpage: https://www.familylegalhelp.com/attorneys/alan-silverman/
Pro bono/Community Service
- I serve as a Judge Pro Tem and Settlement Master with the San Francisco Unified Family Court. I am a Settlement Conference Judge Pro Tem with the San Diego County Family Court
- Blattler, A. and Silverman, A., "Contingency Management Program Policies," Department of Institutions Policies and Procedures Manual, State of Colorado, 1981
- Harney, David M., "Medical Malpractice," second edition, The Michie Company, 1991
- Silverman, A., "Evaluating Goal Attainment Scaling by Independent Observation in Parent Behavior Management Counseling," Dissertation Abstracts, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1976
- McKee, Mike,"Shrink-Turned- Lawyer Offers a Different Kind of Counsel," biography, The Recorder, San Francisco, California, April 1997
- Zemper, Melinda,"Expansion of Child Abuse Center Possible," biography and commentary, Morning Press, Oceanside, California, June 1983
- "Behavioral Approaches to Family Counseling," symposium sponsored by University of Colorado Medical Center, Department of Psychiatry, 1982
- "Non-Participant Observation Systems in Family Therapy," symposium with Carl Thoreson, Stanford University, American Psychological Association annual meeting, Washington, D.C., 1976
- "Learning House, An Overview", symposium with Montrose Wolf and Carl Thoreson, American Educational Research Association annual meeting, Los Angeles, 1976
- Casa de Amparo, San Diego County Department of Social Services, funding grant for treatment of physically and sexually abused children, 1983
- Northern California Youth Treatment and Evaluation Center, budget approved by Bay Area Placement Committee, funding by social services agencies of Bay Area counties, 1977-1979
- Seiden, R. & Silverman, A. "Deadly Violence Among California's Youth, An Epidemiological Study," School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, funding by California Commission on Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Assistance Administration, 1979
- United States Marine Corps, Camp Pendleton, residential and outpatient treatment of abused Marine Corps dependent children, 1983
- Rand v. Board of Psychology, 205 Cal.App.4th 1209, 140 Cal.Rptr.3d 837, 2012
- Certified Family Law Specialist, Board of Legal Specialization, State Bar of California, 2010
- Marriage Child & Family Counselor, California, 1977-1989
- University of Oklahoma, Norman, Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology, 1976
- University of California, Berkeley, M.P.H.in Behavioral Sciences/Epidemiology, National Science Foundation Fellow, 1979
- University of California, Berkeley, A.B. in Psychology, 1970
- University of Oklahoma, Norman, M.Ed. in Guidance and Counseling, 1973
- I serve as a judge pro tem for settlement conferences in the Family Law Division of the San Diego County Superior Court and the San Francisco Unified Family Court , 2022
- California, 1993
Last Updated: 4/12/2022