Ellen A. Friedman
Top rated Bankruptcy attorney in San Francisco, CaliforniaFriedman & Springwater LLP
Practice Areas: Bankruptcy, Creditor Debtor Rights, Business & Corporate
Licensed in California since: 1987
Education: Vanderbilt University Law School
Friedman & Springwater LLP350 Sansome Street
San Francisco, CA 94104 Phone: 415-834-3800 Email: Ellen A. Friedman Visit website
Ellen A. Friedman specializes in commercial transactions, bankruptcy and insolvency. She has extensive experience representing both debtors and creditors. She has participated in financial restructurings ranging from small companies to large well-established hardware manufacturers and has provided legal advice in connection with the wind down of many companies. Ellen has also represented secured lenders in a variety of bankruptcy cases including real estate and retail.
Ellen has handled a wide range of commercial transactions, including venture capital finance, sales of private label credit card portfolios, inventory finance transactions, and sales of intellectual property. She also has expertise in guaranty law and has represented several guarantors of real property in restructurings, workouts and civil suits.
First Admitted: 1986, New York
Professional Webpage: https://friedmanspring.com/attorney/ellen-a-friedman/
- “Acquisitions of Distressed Dot-Coms” (Bank and Corporate Governance Law Reporter, 2001)
- Secured Transactions in California Commercial Practice (CEB 2001).
- “Taking Security Interests in Personal Property” (CEB 1997)
- Transition Rules Under the Revised Division 9 of the UCC, CEB Case n'Point 1, Co-authors, Blackett, Friedman, (December 2000)
- Foreclosure Under Revised Division 9, CEB Case n' Point, Co-authors, Blackett, Friedman, (December 2002)
- "Subordination Agreements," California Business Law Practitioner (CEB Summer 2013)
- “Security Interests in Trade Secrets,” Trade Secrets Practice in California (CEB 1998)
- Represented several creditors in the Lehman Brothers Chapter 11 case with respect to claims relating to ISDA and SWAP agreements, and assisted clients with the sales of their claims.
- Represented the Chapter 11 debtor and the Chapter 11 trustee in companion cases involving disputed claims by attorneys for fees. The firm litigated the validity of a $4.0 million claim of attorney’s lien that resulted in a judgment avoiding the lien and making the funds available to the trustee for the settlement of other claims.
- Represented creditors as defendants in preference litigation in all types of bankruptcy cases throughout the country.
- Represented the largest unsecured creditor and chaired the creditors committee in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy of a national consumer-electronics retail chain.
- Represents a private-label credit card provider in many retail bankruptcies throughout the country.
- Represented several guarantors in connection with the restructuring of over $450 million in securitized loans relating to more than 200 apartment buildings in San Francisco held by more than 30 limited partnerships. This matter involved senior debt, junior debt, the bankruptcy of certain entities, foreclosures on certain real property, restructuring of debt, as well as litigation in state and federal courts.
- Represented regional bank and largest secured creditor in bankruptcy of major real estate developer involving more than 200 parcels of real property in Sonoma and Napa counties.
- Represented lenders and borrowers in numerous debt restructurings including a children’s activity book manufacturer and an aircraft carrier operating as a museum in Alameda, California.
- Super Lawyers: 2014 - 2023