Elliot R. Peters
Top Rated White Collar Crimes Attorney in San Francisco, CA
When America's top corporations and executives face legal crises in California, they turn to Elliot R. Peters at Keker, Van Nest & Peters LLP. Over the past few decades, this San Francisco attorney has tried more than 50 criminal and commercial cases across the country. Antitrust law, appellate law, consumer and class actions, contract and commercial law, professional liability, securities and white collar crimes make up the bulk of his caseload.
In 1980, Mr. Peters completed his undergraduate studies at Yale University. Five years later, he completed his J.D. at New York University School of Law. He was first admitted to The State Bar of California in 1992. He is also licensed to practice in New York. While in school, he earned several awards for academic performance and extracurricular activities. For example, he was named Moot Court Champion at New York University School of Law and also received recognition as Best Brief, Best Oralist.
Since then, Mr. Peters has continued to earn awards in his professional life. From 2006 to the present, he has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America for White Collar Criminal Defense, Commercial and Legal Malpractice Litigation. This and other awards result from a consistent record of winning. Some of his top clients have included cyclist Lance Armstrong and internet activist Aaron Swartz.
Mr. Peters maintains active memberships in several professional organizations. These include the International Academy of Trial Lawyers and the American College of Trial Lawyers. He has also published several articles and papers on criminal investigations, trial management and digital defense.
- 40%Criminal Defense: White Collar
- 40%Professional Liability: Defense
- 20%General Litigation
White Collar Crime, Ethics & Professional Responsibility, Litigation
- Super Lawyers: 2004 - 2022
Certificates and Credentials
About Elliot R. Peters
First Admitted: 1985, New York
Professional Webpage: http://www.kvn.com/Lawyers/Peters-Elliot
- Genentech v. JHL Biotech
- United States v. Investment Banker
- United States ex rel. Robert C. Baker v. Community Health Systems, Inc., et al.
- Securities and Exchange Commission v. Executive
- United States v. McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc., et al.
- United States v. Executive
- United States v. Genentech Inc. et al.
- Plaintiffs v. Tribal Council of the United Auburn Indian Community
- Plaintiff v. Law Firm
- Former Client v. Law Firm
- United States ex rel. Landis v. Tailwind Sports, et al.
- "Identification and Management of Cases Almost Certainly Destined for Trial," American Bar Association's National Legal Malpractice Conference, 2014
- "Fourth Amendment Litigation," Edward Bennett Williams Inn of Court, 2011
- "Daubert Challenges in Federal Intellectual Property Litigation," Association of Business Trial Lawyers (ABTL) Annual Meeting, 2011
- Co-author with Nic Marais, “Battening Down the Hatches: Representing a Law Firm in the Stormy Seas of a Criminal Investigation,” Attorneys’ Liability Assurance Society Annual General Meeting 2012
- "Criminal Investigation of Lawyers," Attorneys’ Liability Assurance Society Annual General Meeting 2012
- "Computer Searches in the New Millennium: The Collision between the Fourth Amendment and Computer Forensics," Cybercrime Conference, 2012
- "Digital Defense: Representing the Alleged Cyber Criminal," NACDL's Annual West Coast White Collar Conference, 2013
- "A Lawyers Holiday," Huffington Post, 2013
- "Defending a Charles Ponzi or Bernie Madoff," the California Bar's Eighteenth Annual Statewide Ethics Symposium, 2014
- California Trailblazer, The Recorder, 2019
- Most Outstanding Clinical Student, New York University School of Law
- Best Brief, Best Oralist, New York University School of Law
- Moot Court Champion, New York University School of Law
- U.S. Department of Justice Director’s Medal for Superior Performance
- America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Chambers USA
- California Lawyer Attorney of the Year (CLAY), California Lawyer, 2003
- Litigator of the Week, The American Lawyer, 2009
- Attorney of the Year, The Recorder, 2010
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers, inducted 2011
- Recommended Attorney, Litigation - White Collar Criminal Defense, The Legal 500, 2011 - 2012
- Top 75 IP Litigator, Daily Journal, 2012
- Northern California Innocence Project's Pro Bono Award, 2015
- California Lawyer Attorney of the Year (CLAY) for Pro Bono, California Lawyer, 2014
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America, White Collar Criminal Defense, Commercial, and Legal Malpractice Litigation, 2006 - present
- Litigation (Band 2), Chambers USA, 2012 - present
- Fellow, International Academy of Trial Lawyers, inducted 2016
- Top 100 Lawyer, The Daily Journal, 2010, 2013 - 2018
- New York
- Yale University, B.A., 1980
Last Updated: 2/24/2022