Top rated Real Estate attorney in San Francisco, CaliforniaTobener Ravenscroft LLP
Practice Areas: Real Estate; view more
Licensed in California since: 1999
Languages Spoken: English, Spanish
Joseph Tobener is an attorney and partner at Tobener Ravenscroft LLP in San Francisco, California. Mr. Tobener concentrates his practice on real estate and landlord-tenant law, with a focus on tenants’ rights. He serves clients on both sides of the San Francisco Bay and throughout California.
Mr. Tobener has over 20 years of experience representing a diverse client base. Over his time as a practicing attorney, he has recovered millions of dollars for his clients, who include art collectives, executives, lawyers, mobile home residents and the San Francisco Tenants Union.
As a result of his successful work in high-profile cases, Mr. Tobener has often been called upon to speak to the news media and been featured in the Daily Journal and the San Francisco Bay Guardian. Additionally, his cases have received mentions in the San Francisco Chronicle, the New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, Reuters and Wired.
Applying his legal knowledge to educate others, Mr. Tobener lectures for the Alameda Bar Association and the Bar Association of San Francisco and has served as an adjunct professor at both the University of California Hastings College of the Law and San Francisco State University. He volunteers his time weekly at nonprofit organizations dedicated to housing rights and previously worked for the homelessness law nonprofit Home Base.
Earning a bachelor’s degree from the University of California, Los Angeles, Mr. Tobener went on to graduate from the University of Hastings College of the Law with his law degree. He also holds a master’s degree from San Francisco State University. He holds a license to practice law before all California state courts and is an active member of the Bar Association of San Francisco.
Practice areasReal Estate: Consumer
- 100% Real Estate: Consumer
First Admitted: 1999, California
Professional Webpage: https://www.tobenerlaw.com/san-francisco-bay-area-tenant-law...
- Alameda Bar Association
- San Francisco Bar Association
- Bar Association of San Francisco, 2014
- Selected to the 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 Northern California Super Lawyer list by Super Lawyers
- Client's Choice, Avvo, 2014
- , Certificate of Excellence Instruction, UC Hastings College of Law, 2007
- Superb Rating (10/10), Avvo, 2013
- Business of the Year -- Law Firm, San Francisco Bay Guardian, 2014
- BA, University of California, Los Angeles
- MS, San Francisco State University
- Partner Joseph Tobener interviewed by ABC 7 News reporter Katie Utehs on the impact of elderly San Francisco tenant relocations., Elderly San Francisco tenants nervous about possible relocation
- Fox 2 Investigates interviews tenant lawyer Joseph Tobener regarding how San Francisco Housing Authority violated the Federal Fair Housing Act in public housing high-rise buildings by ignoring elevator malfunctions., Fox 2 Investigates how San Francisco Housing Authority Ignored Elevator Malfunctions
- 2 Investigates Tenants say mold problems persist at luxury South Bay apartments., 2 Investigates Tenants say mold problems persist at luxury South Bay apartments.
- KGO interviews Tenant Lawyer Jacqueline Ravenscroft with Tobener Ravenscroft LLP, regarding a San Francisco Landlord who requested income verification of all his existing tenants, to prove each tenant has a salary of at least $100,000 or else. But is that a lawful request?, San Francisco Landlord Issues Apology Letter to Tenants
- We are pleased to announce that our client, who was forced out of her San Francisco apartment with a 315% rent increase, was awarded a $400,000 settlement in a wrongful eviction suit against her landlord., San Francisco Renter Wins $400,000 Settlement , 2017
- San Francisco Teacher Being Evicted For Using Appliances. CBS News interviews tenant lawyer Joseph Tobener with the Tobener Ravenscroft LLP., San Francisco Teacher Being Evicted For Using Appliances
- Tenant v. LandlordTenant had major repair issues at the property that were unattended by landlord. Verdict: $500,000 awarded to Plaintiff, 2013
- Tenant v. Landlord Family with sewage running under their mobile home in San Jose in Santa Clara County Superior Court. Verdict: $195,000 awarded to plaintiff, 2014
- Landlord failed to maintain a single family home in San Francisco. When tenants requested repairs, the landlord sent an illegal eviction notice. Verdict: $90,000 awarded to plaintiff, 2015
- Tenant v. Landlord Wrongful eviction action. Verdict: $250,000 awarded to plaintiff, 2014
- Tenant v. Landlord$1.2 million plus recovered in action brought against landlord who failed to maintain Sonoma County mobile home park in habitable condition. Fifty park residents suffered with black, oily water for more than twenty years. The landlord could have attached to City water for a nominal cost, but refused to do it. Other habitability issues included park flooding, sewage leaks, broken fences, open ditches, and rats. Instead of making requested repairs the landlord blamed and harassed the tenants. Verdict$500,000, 2013
- Causa Justa
- Housing Rights Committee
- San Francisco Tenants Union
Office location for Joseph Tobener
21 Masonic Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94118
- Super Lawyers: 2018 - 2023