Kevin R. Budner
Top rated Consumer Law attorney in San Francisco, CaliforniaLieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, LLP
Practice Areas: Consumer Law, Personal Injury
Licensed in California since: 2012
Education: University of California Berkeley School of Law
Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, LLP275 Battery Street
San Francisco, CA 94111 Phone: 415-956-1000 Email: Kevin R. Budner Visit website
Kevin R. Budner is a partner in Lieff Cabraser’s San Francisco specializing in complex, high-impact litigation.
Of particular note, Kevin is one of the lead attorneys prosecuting San Francisco’s case in the nationwide opioid litigation. Among other roles, Kevin directed the team’s discovery efforts against Walgreens and played a key role in the multi-month bellwether trial. In a milestone opinion, Judge Charles R. Breyer concluded that “the aggregate evidence that Plaintiff presented at trial was not only adequate to establish Walgreens’ culpability—it was devastating.” This was a landmark victory for the People of San Francisco and a significant factor in driving Walgreens’ developing multi-billion dollar, nationwide settlement.
Kevin has also had a number of success representing the owners of over-polluting and underperforming vehicles, beginning with the Volkswagen “Clean Diesel” multidistrict litigation. In that case, plaintiffs alleged that Volkswagen lied to the government and misled its customers about the emissions of its diesel engine vehicles. Kevin worked closely with lead counsel, Elizabeth Cabraser, and the team’s efforts resulted in settlements worth nearly $15 billion. Kevin’s other vehicle emissions cases include the Fiat-Chrysler “EcoDiesel” MDL, which led to a $307.5 million settlement for owners of over-polluting diesel trucks, and cases against Audi and Porsche for overstating fuel economy in hundreds of thousands of gasoline-powered vehicles. In all of these cases, Kevin and his colleagues secured meaningful, hard-fought results that large classes of consumers overwhelmingly supported. As one illustration, in approving a recent, $80 million settlement with Porsche, the court noted that class members would recover “close to all of the damages they might expect to receive at trial” and applauded counsel for the “unusually successful” class participation rates.
For these and other achievements, Kevin has been recognized as a “Top 40 Under 40 Lawyer” (Daily Journal), a “Rising Star for Class Action law (Law360), a “Rising Star of the Plaintiff’s Bar” (National Law Journal), a “Rising Star for Northern California” (Super Lawyers), and “One to Watch” (Best Lawyers). He and his colleagues have also received awards for “Trial Lawyer of the Year” (Public Justice), “Trial Lawyer Excellence” (Law Bulletin), “California Lawyer of the Year” (California Daily Journal), and “Consumer Attorney of the Year Finalist” (Consumer Attorneys of California).
First Admitted: 2012, California
Professional Webpage: https://www.lieffcabraser.com/attorneys/kevin-r-budner/
- Co-Author, “Federal Courts Split Likely to Lead to More FCPA Whistleblowing,” Law 360, February 2014; Co-Author, “Play Ball: Potential Private Rights of Action Emerging From the FIFA Corruption Scandal,” 11 Business Torts & RICO News 1, Summer 2015
- “Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers in America,” Lawdragon, 2023; “Ones to Watch,” Best Lawyers, 2021, 2022; “Rising Star for Northern California,” Super Lawyers, 2019 – 2022; “Top 40 Under 40 Lawyer,” Daily Journal, 2021; “Rising Star for Class Action Law,” Law360, 2021; “Rising Star of the Plaintiffs’ Bar” National Law Journal, 2021; “Trial Lawyer of the Year,” Public Justice, 2019; “Trial Lawyer Excellence Award,” Law Bulletin, 2019; “California Lawyer of the Year,” California Daily Journal, 2018; “40 and Under Hot List,” Benchmark Litigation, 2018; “Consumer Attorney of the Year Finalist,” Consumer Attorneys of California, 2017, Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein
- American Association for Justice; Bar Association of San Francisco; Consumer Attorneys of California; San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association; State Bar of California
- Wesleyan University, Middletown, CT, B.A. – December, 2005
- Rising Stars: 2019 - 2022