Top rated Family Law attorney in San Francisco, CaliforniaBuchalter, PC
Practice Areas: Family Law; view more
Licensed in California since: 2002
Education: Southwestern Law School
Buchalter, PC425 Market St
San Francisco, CA 94105 Visit website
Monica Mazzei is a Certified Family Law Specialist representing clients in the Bay Area, with a concentration in San Francisco and Silicon Valley, as well as Los Angeles. She represents high net worth clients throughout the divorce process and in mediation. Monica has been named a California Super Lawyer from 2015-2019 and has been recognized in the international Chambers High Net Worth 2017-2019 guide for Family/Matrimonial Law.
Monica specializes in dissolution actions involving complicated valuation and financial matters, and complex community property and support issues, including international issues, dissolutions involving hedge funds, private equity, venture capital and privately held businesses.
Monica drafts and negotiates cohabitation agreements, pre-marital and post-marital agreements for her clients.
Monica also mediates pre-marital agreements. As a mediator, Monica helps to identify the thoughts and concerns of both parties in a non-confrontational setting. Mediation helps clients discuss difficult topics which allows Monica to create a financial structure that works for both parties.
Monica takes a modern approach to the practice of family law – addressing various needs for her clients related and unrelated to their family law case. Monica has relationships with top professionals in the Bay Area such as forensic accountants, mental health professionals, real estate agents, financial advisors and business valuation experts. She also works closely with estate planning attorneys to come up with creative solutions for her clients and ensure their agreements reflects their current objectives.
Monica is a frequent lecturer and speaker on family law matters and a staunch advocate against domestic abuse in her pro bono work.
Practice areasFamily Law
Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Dissolution, Divorce, Marital Property, Mediation & Collaborative Law, Name Change, Paternity, Prenuptial Agreements, Same Sex Family Law
- 100% Family Law
First Admitted: 2002, California
- Commentary, "Millennial Millionaires and Their Prenups -- What They Need to Be Thinking About," Entrepreneur, 2018
- Commentary, "Tax Planning for the Divorcing and Newly Divorced," Reuters, 2012
- Commentary, "3 Essential Money Conversations You Should Have Before Getting Married," Business Insider, 2014
- Contributing author, “Inside the Minds: Strategies for Family Law in California, 14th ed.” Aspatore Publishing, 2014
- Cohabitation Agreements – “Prenups” for the Non-Married
- "Love Money What You Need To Know To Protect Your Wealth Before During and After Marriage," Legal Update, 2015
- Monica Mazzei and Anne Freeman featured in “Secrets of the Divorce Lawyers” for the Nob Hill Gazette
- Monica Mazzei and Anne Freeman discuss “Here’s How to Start That Prenup Conversation” for The Bride magazine
- Commentary, "A Prenup Primer: What Silicon Valley Couples Should Consider," The San Francisco Chronicle, 2018
- Presenter, CALCPA Family Law Conference, 2013
- Commentary, "Trump's Tax Law Pushing People To Divorce Faster To Save Money," Newsweek, 2018
- Commentary, “A Prenup Is the Latest Must-Have for Tech Startup Founders in Love,” Bloomberg News, 2019
- Presenter/Lecturer, SF Financial Planning Association, 2013
- Member, International Society of Family Law
- Member, National Italian American Bar Association
- She is a member of the Family Law and the International Law sections of the American Bar Association and the San Francisco Bar Association. She is also a member of the Family Law sections of the Beverly Hills Bar Association, the Marin County Bar Association, and the San Mateo County Bar Association.
- Mentor Family Law Attorney, San Francisco Bar Association
- Selected as one of the Top 40 National Trial Lawyers Under 40 by The National Trial Lawyers, 2014
- Selected as one of the Top 40 Family Lawyers Under 40 in California by the American Society of Legal Advocates, 2013-2017
- Selected as one of the Top Women Attorneys in Northern California by Super Lawyers, 2012-2014
- Law Clerk for Judge Rolf Treu of the Los Angeles Superior Court Finalist Writer and Oralist, Moot Court Finalist, American Bar Association Negotiation Competition Editor, Southwestern Law Journal
- Listed in Northern California Rising Stars, 2011-2014
- Listed in Northern California Super Lawyers, 2015-2019
- Named one of the 10 Best Attorneys in California by the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, 2016, 2017
- Recognized in Chambers High Net Worth 2017-2019 guide for Family/Matrimonial: California
- Volunteer Legal Services Program
- Volunteer mediator SF Superior Court Family Law Division, Pro Bono Family Law Attorney SF Bar Association (VLSP)
- Listed in Northern California Rising Stars®: 2011-2014 Selected as one of the Top Women Attorneys in Northern California by Super Lawyers: 2012, 2013, 2014 Selected as one of the Top 40 Family Lawyers Under 40 in California by the American Society of Legal Advocates: 2013, 2014 Selected as one of the Top 40 National Trial Lawyers Under 40 by The National Trial Lawyers, 2014
- Certified Family Law Specialist
- Harvard Law School, Advanced Negotiation Workshop, 2013
- Holy Names University, B.A., Magna Cum Laude, 1999
Office location for Monica Mazzei
425 Market St
San Francisco, CA 94105
- Super Lawyers: 2015 - 2023
- Rising Stars: 2011 - 2014
Certificates and credentials