Terrance J. Evans
Top Rated Banking Attorney in San Francisco, CA
Terrance J. Evans is a partner in the Trial Practice Group of Duane Morris in San Francisco. He concentrates his practice in representing the financial services industry, which includes international, national and community banks; loan service companies; and insurance companies. During his career, Mr. Evans has both recovered and saved clients of the firm tens of millions of dollars in settlements, judgments and extrajudicial procedures. Mr. Evans is also a member of the firm's Diversity and Inclusion Committee, and serves as the West Coast Vice Chair of the Duane Morris Banking Practice Group. In 2016, the National Bar Association named Mr. Evans one of the top 40 attorneys in the United States under age 40.
With respect to the insurance industry, Mr. Evans concentrates his practice in complex commercial litigation and policy interpretation and analysis. He has represented commercial primary, excess and umbrella insurers in a wide range of multimillion-dollar cases, including declaratory relief, bad faith, rescission, subrogation, indemnity, additional insurance, interpleader and reformation actions. Mr. Evans has served as national coordinating counsel and monitoring counsel for insurance companies evaluating multi-jurisdictional claims where the exposure was estimated in the hundreds of millions of dollars.
Mr. Evans has extensively advised commercial insurers and policy holders regarding primary, excess and additional insurance obligations in jurisdictions around the United States. His experience includes analyzing and advising clients regarding claims related to the construction industry, automobile industry, homeowners associations, real estate agents, accountants, enrolled agents, attorneys, ministers, international religious organizations, intellectual property, trademarks, mobile home parks, international imports and exports, interstate commerce, livestock, retail chains, wineries, cemeteries and other commercial establishments. He has also advised insurers regarding issues related to national security and the U.S. military.
In relation to the banking industry, Mr. Evans has represented international, national and community banks and loan service companies in consumer lending litigation, complex commercial litigation and various secured transactions, including commercial and residential nonjudicial foreclosures; unified foreclosures; judicial foreclosures; creditors' rights issues, which includes obtaining relief from stay in various bankruptcy courts; mechanics' lien lawsuits; stop notice claims; abatement issues; priority contests; RESPA claims; forbearance agreements; municipality disputes; transfer tax disputes; property tax disputes; short sales; loan purchase and sale agreements; predatory lending claims; discriminatory lending claims; Fair Debt Collection Practices Act claims; and many other issues. Mr. Evans has extensive experience in representing banks and other financial institutions in title insurance coverage matters. In particular, Mr. Evans has analyzed coverage under title insurance policies, negotiated coverage with title insurance companies and successfully litigated numerous coverage disputes.
Mr. Evans has negotiated settlements in dozens of multimillion-dollar cases, litigated in more than ten states, and has participated in more than 100 mediations, mandatory settlement conferences, and other forms of alternative dispute resolution for matters in both federal and state courts. Mr. Evans has also successfully represented clients in appellate matters, including matters before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Mr. Evans has spoken at insurance coverage seminars, business development workshops, and diversity conferences around the country. Additionally, he has been very involved in the firm's pro bono efforts.
Mr. Evans has been recognized both locally and nationally for his professional accomplishments. In 2016, he was appointed to the Minority Corporate Counsel Association's (MCCA) Next Generation (N-Gen) Advisory Board, formed of in-house and law firm attorneys to assist with MCCA's efforts to promote diversity and inclusion in the legal profession nationwide. In 2012, Mr. Evans was appointed as co-chair of the American Bar Association's Section of Litigation, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee. In 2010 and 2008, he was honored by the American Business Trial Lawyers of Northern California for his dedication and professionalism. In addition, he was named one of the top 100 minority associates in the United States for 2007 by the Stakeholder Organization. Mr. Evans has also received special honors from the NAACP, the Congressional Black Caucus, the 100 Black Men of Los Angeles, the Young Black Scholars Program, the Black Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles, the American Legion and many other organizations.
Mr. Evans graduated from Cornell University, where he made multiple appearances on the Dean's List, and was a Cornell Tradition Fellow. He also graduated from Loyola Law School in Los Angeles with recognition, and he was ranked as the Third Best Oral Advocate in the United States at the Frederick Douglass Moot Court Competition.
About Terrance J. Evans
First Admitted: 2003
Professional Webpage: http://www.duanemorris.com/attorneys/terrancejevans.html
- Banking Transactions; Non-Judicial Foreclosures; Note Purchase Deals; Secured Transactions in Real Estate; Loan Modifications; Forbearance Agreements; Deeds In Lieu; Settlement Agreements; and Various Other Transactions
- Represented group of insurers in a multi-million dollar interpleader action against more than three thousand claimants with pending toxic tort litigation filed in courts throughout the United States.
- Served as outside national coordinating counsel for international bank.
- Secured transfer tax refund for bank involved in municipality dispute.
- Successfully represented banks involved in title insurance disputes.
- Successfully represented several banks involved in priority contests.
- Won relief from stay for several banks involved in multimillion-dollar foreclosures.
- Won dismissal with prejudice for several banks involved in multimillion-dollar mechanics' lien lawsuits.
- Won summary judgment for lender in a multimillion-dollar stop notice lawsuit.
- Recovered tens of millions of dollars in collateral for international, national, and local banks and loan service companies.
- Negotiated several multimillion-dollar loan purchase and sale agreements for national and local banks.
- Represented insurers and policy holders involved in declaratory relief, bad faith, contribution, interpleader and indemnity litigation.
- Represented both landlords and tenants in unlawful detainer actions.
- Represented real estate agents, accountants, and enrolled agents in professional liability litigation.
- Represented several general contractors and subcontractors involved in construction defect litigation.
- Drafted ballot measure for health maintenance organization in its effort to obtain public approval for its construction development project.
- Drafted reciprocal easement agreement for group of real estate developers.
- Recovered several million dollars for claimants involved in asbestos litigation.
- Served as lead counsel for a major financial institution at a trial de novo hearing, during which the court agreed to reduce a judgment against the financial institution.
- Represented small business in its Petition for Redetermination before the California Franchise Tax Board.
- Represented school district in a condemnation action against a real estate developer, wherein the school district successfully obtained a non-exclusive easement across undeveloped property owned by the real estate developer
- I specialize in representing the financial services industry, which includes international, national, and community banks; loan service companies; and insurance companies.
- Winner of the Black Women Lawyers of Los Angeles Annual Essay Competition
- Cornell University Tradition Fellowship, Cornell University Tradition Fellowship Program, 1996
- Congressional Black Caucus Scholarship, Congressional Black Caucus, 1995
- Legal Essay Contest Winner, Black Women Lawyers of Los Angeles, 2002
- Semifinalist Frederick Douglass Western Regional Moot Court Competition, 2002
- Who's Who American Law Students, 2002
- 3rd Best Oral Advocate Frederick Douglass National Moot Court Competition, 2002
- Named one of the Top 100 Minority Associates in the United States by the Stakeholder Organization, 2007
- Recognized for pro bono service to the San Francisco community., Duane Morris Pro Bono Service Award, Duane Morris LLP, 2008
- Recognized for dedication to the Association of Business Trial Lawyers., Recognition, Association of Business Trial Lawyers, 2010
- Award recognizing new partners at major law firms in the California., Next Law Firm Leaders, Los Angeles Daily Journal, 2011
- Frequent Guest Speaker for the Young Black Scholars Program, the 100 Black Men of Los Angeles, and the NAACP.
- Co-Presenter, "Analyzing Claims for Bodily Injury, Property Damage, Personal Injury, and Advertising Injury Under Primary and Excess Liability Policies," San Francisco, California, December 15, 2005
- Spoke at Duane Morris' First Annual Diversity Retreat in May, 2007
- Gave presentation regarding marketing and business development at the Duane Morris National Convention in October, 2007
- "How to Avoid Getting Wacked By The Doctrine of Reasonable Expectations," American Bar Association Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee Annual Meeting, Tucson, Arizona, March 1, 2008
- Speaker, "Business Development for Minority Lawyers in Corporate Law Firms," Philadelphia, May, 2008
- Moderator, "Businesses in the Courtroom: Getting Your Message Across!" panel discussion, Association of Business Trial Lawyers' 2008 Annual Seminar, Kauai, Hawaii, September 24-26, 2008
- Speaker, "Diversity Issues in the Workplace," Philadelphia, May, 2009
- Speaker, "Advanced Issues in Foreclosure," National Business Institute Seminar, Oakland, California, July 14, 2011
- A Review of Complex Commercial Foreclosure Issues: A Review of California Foreclosure Law Regarding Possession and Receivership., Author, Complex Commercial Foreclosure Issues: A Review of California Foreclosure Law Regarding Possession and Receivership, National Business Institute, California Banking Law, 2011
- A Review of Complicated Priority Disputes and Lien Issues Under California Law., Author, A Review of Complicated Priority Disputes and Lien Issues Under California Law, National Business Institute, California Banking Law, 2011
- Co-author, "Please Excuse the Delay: The Consequences of Untimely Notice, Slow Investigation, and the Failure to Communicate," chapter in the American Bar Association's annual Insurance Coverage Book, March, 2012
- Member, The Bar Association of San Francisco
- Member, California Black Lawyers Association
- Member, Association of Defense Counsel of Northern California and Nevada
- Co-chair, American Bar Association, Employment Subcommittee
- Member, American Bar Association, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee
- Member, American Bar Association, Section of Litigation
- Member, California Bar Association
- Leadership Development Committee, American Business Trial Lawyers of Northern California, 2011
- Co-Chair, Employment Subcommittee of the ABA Section of the Litigation Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, 2011
- Member of the Executive Committee of the State Bar of California Litigation Section, 2017
- General Counsel for the Charles Houston Bar Association, 2017
- Cornell University, B.A.
- During my carrer I have both recovered and saved clients of the firm tens of millions of dollars in settlements, judgments and extrajudicial procedures.
Pro bono/Community Service
- Participated in the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals Pro Bono Program.
- Financial Services
- “The US Supreme Court strikes down New York gun law restricting concealed carry” https://t.co/IPZSqT2DA2
- The Senate votes 65 to 34 to break GOP filibuster - Daily Mail https://t.co/eeVs4hc1GZ
- Fed hikes interest rates by three-quarters of a percentage point in boldest move since 1994 - CNN Business https://t.co/UZD6o3IxCv
Last Updated: 5/15/2022