Top rated Personal Injury attorney in San Mateo, CaliforniaLaw Office of Paul J. Smoot
Practice Areas: Personal Injury, Employment & Labor; view more
Licensed in California since: 1992
Attorney Paul J. Smoot focuses his practice in the areas of personal injury, employment law and elder law. The founder of the Law Office of Paul J. Smoot, based in San Mateo, California, he represents clients in the San Francisco Bay Area and throughout Northern California.
After graduating from the University of San Francisco, Mr. Smoot went on to earn his law degree at the University of California, Hastings College of the Law. For 18 years, Mr. Smoot worked at the law firm of Anderlini, Finkelstein, Emerick & Smoot, eventually becoming a named partner. When the firm dissolved in 2008, he started a new firm under his own name.
Today, Mr. Smoot is admitted to practice in state courts in California, as well as all four of the federal district courts in California and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit.
In addition to his law practice, Mr. Smoot has been involved in a number of professional and community organizations. He has been especially active with the San Mateo County Trial Lawyers Association, serving in multiple leadership roles for the organization over the years, including a term as its president. Mr. Smoot has also served with the Legal Aid Society of San Mateo County and other organizations that provide legal services to people who could not otherwise afford them.
Mr. Smoot has participated in a number of pro bono activities during his legal career. He previously served as a Federal Emergency Management Agency representative for the San Mateo County Bar Association. He is also a longtime member of the World Jurist Association, an organization affiliated with the United Nations and dedicated to promoting the rule of law as a path toward peace.
Practice areasPersonal Injury - General: Plaintiff, Employment & Labor: Employee
Assault, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Defense, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Sexual Abuse - Plaintiff, Slip and Fall, Trucking Accidents, Whistleblower, Wrongful Death
- 70% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 30% Employment & Labor: Employee
First Admitted: 1992, California
Professional Webpage: http://www.smootpc.com/attorney-profile.html
- Mr. Smoot has represented a broad range of clients from technology companies to former San Francisco Mayor Joseph L. Alioto and President of Board of Supervisors/Civil Rights Attorney Angela M. Alitoto.
- World Jurist Association, 1992–Present
- Chairman, Office of Technology Assessment, 2000–2001
- San Mateo County Legal Aid Society 1993-1998
- F.E.M.A. Representative, San Mateo County Bar Association, 1996-2002
- California, 1992
- U.S. District Court – Eastern District of California, 1992
- U.S. District Court – Northern District of California, 1992
- U.S. District Court – Southern District of California, 1992
- U.S. District Court – Central District of California, 1992
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit, 1992
- President, San Mateo County Trial Lawyers Association, 2009
- First Vice President, San Mateo County Trial Lawyers Association, 2008
- Second Vice President, San Mateo County Trial Lawyers Association, 2007
- Secretary, San Mateo County Trial Lawyers Association, 2005–2006
- Treasurer, San Mateo County Trial Lawyers Association, 2004–2005
- Executive Board, San Mateo County Trial Lawyers Association, 2004–present
- Board of Directors, San Mateo County Trial Lawyers Association, 2001–present
- President, San Mateo County Barristers, 1996–1997
- Consumer Attorney of California, Member
- Executive Board, San Mateo County Barristers, 1992–1998
- Legal Aid Clinic Chairman, San Mateo County Community Affairs, 1995–1998
- Member, Executive Board, Legal Aid Clinic, 1994–1998
- California State Bar, Real Estate, Business Litigation, Labor/Employment Law Sections
- American Jurisprudence Award, Corporations and Corporate Law
Office location for Paul Smoot
526 S Humboldt St
San Mateo, CA 94402
- Super Lawyers: 2008 - 2023