James R. Traut
Top Rated Professional Liability Attorney in Santa Ana, CA
James R. Traut is the founding partner of the Traut Firm, a legal malpractice and personal injury firm located in Santa Ana, California. His practice is devoted exclusively to litigation and focuses on helping plaintiffs throughout Southern California in serious personal injury cases involving motor vehicle accidents, including truck, auto, motorcycle and bike accidents, traumatic brain injuries, wrongful death cases, and premises liability. These cases involve brain injuries, spinal injuries, severe fractures, and wrongful death. Mr. Traut also represents clients pursuing legal malpractice claims. His dedication to protecting the rights of those who have been injured by the negligent or wrongful behavior of others has resulted in numerous settlements, arbitration awards, and trial verdicts in excess of $1 million.
In 1972, Mr. Traut obtained his bachelor's degree from the University of California at Los Angeles. He then went on to receive his Juris Doctor from Pepperdine University School of Law in 1976. Mr. Traut is certified by the National Board of Legal Specialty Certification as a Civil Trial Lawyer as well as a Civil Pretrial Practice Lawyer. He is admitted to practice in California.
In recognition of his superb record and high ethical standards, Mr. Traut has been awarded the AV-Preeminent* rating by Martindale-Hubbell. He has also been named Trial Lawyer of the Year by both the American Board of Trial Advocates and the Orange County Trial Lawyers Association. He is also recognized as a "Best Lawyer" by U.S. News & World Report, as well as Top 100 Trial Lawyers by The National Trial Lawyers.
Outside the courtroom, Mr. Traut furthers his legal advocacy skills through his association with several professional organizations. He is a member of the American Association for Justice, the Consumer Attorneys of California and the Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles. Mr. Traut is also a member of the Orange County Trial Lawyers Association, the American Board of Trial Advocates and the National Board of Trial Advocacy.
*AV-Preeminent and BV-Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 20%Professional Liability: Plaintiff
- 80%Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 20%Professional Liability: Plaintiff
Legal Malpractice, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Slip and Fall, Wrongful Death, Brain Injury, Trucking Accidents, Premises Liability - Plaintiff
- Super Lawyers: 2006 - 2023
Certificates and Credentials
About James R. Traut
First Admitted: 1978, California
Professional Webpage: http://trautfirm.com/james-r-traut
- Member, Banyard Inns of Court
- Member, Orange County Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, Consumer Attorneys Association of California
- Member, American Association for Justice
- Diplomate, American Board of Trial Advocates
- Member, Consumer Attorneys Association of L.A.
- California, 1978
- University of California, Los Angeles, California, B.A., 1972
- Orange County Trial Lawyers Association "Trial Lawyer of the Year"
- Recognized as "Best Lawyer" by U.S. News & World Report
- AV Distinguished Rating, the Highest Possible Rating of Legal Ability
- American Board of Trial Advocates "Trial Lawyer of the Year"
- Civil Pretrial Practice Advocate, National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Civil Trial Specialist, National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Phillips v. Renovate Recycling Center, OCSC Case No. 30-2017-00961729. Truck v. Motorcycle death. The 22-year-old son of plaintiffs was killed when his motorcycle struck the side of defendant's truck. Case settled for defendant's $1,000,000 policy limit., 2019
- Nunes v. Matheson Tri-Gas, Inc., OCSC Case No. 30-2015-00786869. Truck v. bicycle injury. The 20-year-old plaintiff struck the side of defendant's semi-trailer after entering an intersection from the sidewalk while pedaling his bicycle. Settled for $9,000,000. , 2017
Last Updated: 6/23/2022