Richard A. Cohn
Top Rated Medical Malpractice Attorney in Santa Ana, CA
Richard A. Cohn is a compassionate and capable personal injury attorney at the law firm of Aitken Aitken Cohn. He offers top-notch services to the residents of Santa Ana, California, who are suffering as a result of medical malpractice or catastrophic accidents. For more than 33 years, he has been providing comfort, hope and strength to injured victims.
Known across California for obtaining historical jury verdicts, bench decisions, settlements and arbitration awards, Mr. Cohn goes the extra mile to obtain the compensation his clients need and deserve. Some of his representative results include a $15 million settlement in a wrongful death case, $11 million for a young man paralyzed in a pool accident and $10 million in a construction site accident.
Mr. Cohn’s accomplishments and commitment to clients have resulted in a number of honors and awards. He was named to the Top 50 Medical Malpractice Attorneys list by The National Trial Lawyers and the Top Attorneys of the Inland Empire list by the Inland Empire Magazine. He was also recognized by The Best Lawyers in America in 2021, and he is AV Preeminent peer-review rated,* the highest rating, through Martindale-Hubbell. Additionally, he is a recipient of the Orange County Trial Lawyers Association’s Top Gun award, he was included on the Top 500 Litigators in the Nation list by Lawdragon Magazine and he has been named on the U.S. News & World Report’s Best Lawyers list.
Mr. Cohn attended the University of California at San Diego (UCSD), graduating cum laude with a Bachelor of Arts degree (double major in political science and communications) in 1985. He then graduated with his Juris Doctor degree from USC Gould School of Law in 1989. He passed the California bar examination and obtained his license to practice law the same year.
Maintaining connections within the community is important to Mr. Cohn. He holds active memberships in the Banyard Inn of Court, the Consumer Attorneys of California, the Celtic Bar Association of Orange County, the Public Law Center and the American Association for Justice. He is the former president of the Orange County Trial Lawyers Association and the United Cerebral Palsy Association of Orange County. He is currently the Orange County Bar Association’s chairman of education.
Mr. Cohn regularly delivers presentations and continuing legal education seminars to fellow professionals and others on topics related to his practice area.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer-review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 70%Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff
- 30%Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
Medical Malpractice, Birth Injury, Animal Bites, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Slip and Fall, Wrongful Death, Construction Accident, Premises Liability - Plaintiff
- Super Lawyers: 2006 - 2023
About Richard A. Cohn
First Admitted: 1989, California
Professional Webpage: https://www.aitkenlaw.com/attorneys/richard-cohn/
- RCBA Civil Litigation Roundtable, Cross Examination of Experts: Setting Them Up and Knocking Them Down, 2020
- Jefferson’s California Evidence Benchbook, Third and Fourth Editions, 2000-2014
- Consumer Attorneys of California (CAOC) Forum Magazine, Discovery in Products Liability Cases-Back to Basics, 1998
- Advocate, “Products Liability in Plain English,” 2004
- Advocate, “Construction Site Injury for hirers of Independent Contractors: Many roads Still Lead to Liability,” 2006
- OCBA, Expert Depositions, 2016
- OCBA/OCTLA, Is the Policy Open? Insurance Law, 2014-2017
- Southern California Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers (2006-2021)
- Top Gun, Medical Malpractice, Orange County Trial Lawyers Association (2008)
- Nation’s Top 3000 Plaintiff’s Lawyers in America, Lawdragon Magazine
- Top 500 Litigators in The Nation, Lawdragon Magazine
- Top 50: Orange County Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers Magazine (2014)
- 10 Best Attorneys in Client Satisfaction, American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys (2015)
- Top Attorneys of the Inland Empire, Inland Empire Magazine (2016)
- Top 50 in Orange County Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers (2016-2018)
- Top 50 Wrongful Death Settlement – California, Top Verdict (2019)
- America’s Most Honored Lawyer, The American Registry (2020-2021)
- AVVO Rated Certified Lawyer, AVVO (2015-2021)
- Best Lawyer in America, Best Lawyers (2012-2021)
- Super Lawyers, 2021
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Rated Preeminent Peer Review, Martindale-Hubbell (2015-2021)
- Top 50 Medical Malpractice Attorneys, NTLA, 2020
- Top 50 Wrongful Deaths Settlement in California, Top Verdict, 2020
- Martindale-Hubbell AV-Rating and Judicial Award, Martindale-Hubbell, 2017
- Top Attorneys of the Inland Empire, Inland Empire Magazine, 2016
Pro bono/Community Service
- United Cerebral Palsy Association of Orange County, Board of Directors and Past President
- American Association for Justice, Member
- Public Law Center, Member
- Banyard Inn of Court, Master Bencher
- Orange County Trial Lawyers Association, President (2001-2002)
- Celtic Bar Association of Orange County, Member
- Consumer Attorneys of California, Member
- Orange County Bar Association, Chairman of Education (2016 – present)
- Doe vs State of California
- McKeever v. Kaiser, 2018
- Scott v. Burges Transportation, et al.
- Small v. County of Orange
- Rubio v. Allstate Ins., 2003
- Brown v. Neff, M.D., et al.
- “M” v. Wings Express Aviation, et al.
- Bodine v. Western Trucking, 2006
- Chavez v. Altig
- Doe v. Roe Hospital, 2007
- Daily v. Stueve Brother Farms, LLC, 2015
- $11,000,000: Premises Liability - spinal cord injury diving into unsafe pool, 2021
- $800,000: Wrongful Death Settlement, 2019
- Aitken Aitken Cohn - Medial Malpractice Attorneys, https://youtu.be/HwiIuMRWuN0, Law, 2019
- Orange County Trial Lawyers Association President 2001
- First responders are scrambling to rescue Amtrak passengers traveling from LA to Chicago following a deadly derailm… https://t.co/eoSeL5hde6
- Twenty people were injured and seven were being transported to the hospital after a Los Angeles Department of Trans… https://t.co/y4UKOEmq4h
- Toyota recently issued a recall on 2,700 bZ4X electric cars, roughly all the ones produced to date, over the potent… https://t.co/6x7sdXhUQ1
- The FDA has ordered Juul products to be removed from the market after finding that they played a big role in the r… https://t.co/Z28SVCwFTS
- AAC’s Atticus Wegman obtained justice for his injured client after a month-long trial, where the defendant asked th… https://t.co/AvY2bdnIQD
Last Updated: 6/23/2022