Top rated workers' compensation attorney in Sherman Oaks, CaliforniaMichael Burgis & Associates, P.C.
Practice Areas: Workers' compensation, Employment & labor, Personal injury; view more
Licensed in California since: 2015
Education: Loyola Law School Los Angeles
Michael Burgis & Associates, P.C.5900 Sepulveda Blvd
Sherman Oaks, CA 91411 Visit website
An attorney at Michael Burgis & Associates, P.C., Timothy Chan focuses his practice primarily on workers’ compensation matters. Additionally, his experience extends to personal injury and wrongful death litigation as well as employment law. With offices in Sherman Oaks and Pomona, California, he furnishes representation to people in Los Angeles, Riverside and San Bernardino counties. Mr. Chan has been admitted to practice before all California state courts since 2015, and he was awarded his Juris Doctor by Loyola Law School in the previous year.
A significant portion of Mr. Chan’s client base is comprised of people who have been injured in a workplace accident and who are seeking the benefits that they deserve under their employer’s workers’ compensation insurance coverage. At the outset, he assists them with the preparation of the required claim documentation, helping to ensure that it contains all of the pertinent information and that it is filed in a timely manner. If and when the claim is disputed or denied, Mr. Chan appears at subsequent appeals hearings and strives to obtain the maximum amount of recovery for his clients.
In some cases, a worker who has been injured has the ability and the right to bring a lawsuit against a nonemployer third party that was in part or wholly responsible for the harm, such as the manufacturer of a defective piece of equipment, and Mr. Chan has handled such cases. Other personal injury cases that he has worked on have involved premises liability as well as motor vehicle accidents. Mr. Chan has additionally represented employees who have been the victims of workplace discrimination, harassment, wage and hour violations, and wrongful termination.
Practice areasWorkers' compensation: employer/insurance, Employment & labor: employee, Personal injury - general: plaintiff
Employment law - employee, Personal injury - plaintiff, Wrongful death
- 80% Workers' compensation: employer/insurance
- 10% Employment & labor: employee
- 10% Personal injury - general: plaintiff
First Admitted: 2015
Professional Webpage: https://www.burgislaw.com/our-team/timothy-chan/
- Super Lawyers: Rising Stars
- Super Lawyers: Up-and-Coming 100 (Southern California)
- Lead Counsel Verified Attorney
- California State University, Northridge, Bachelor’s degrees in Finance and Business Law, 2010
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association (APABA) of Los Angeles Legal Clinic - I was a volunteer attorney for APABA's monthly legal clinic where we provided free legal advice and consultation to various members of the community on matters pertaining immigration matters, criminal matters, and general civil matters. I also consulted regarding some workers compensation matters as needed. , 2017
- Bet Tzedek - I was a volunteer legal extern for Bet Tzedek's legal clinic for conservatorship assistance where we provided legal counsel for individuals applying for conservatorship. We would interview clients, complete the necessary court forms for the individuals, and provide them instructions for upcoming interviews and court hearing(s). , 2013
- I presented at the September 2017 Hanna Brophy Academy in Downtown Los Angeles. HB Academy is an educational seminar for adjusters and employer representatives for workers compensation insurance. There were approximately 65 adjusters or employer representatives present. I presented on updated case law and how the actual practice of law at the Workers Compensation Appeals Board should affect their exposure and decision making process. , 2017
- SEIU United Healthcare Workers - Presented at a SEIU United Healthcare Workers' meeting to liaisons and union members regarding workers' rights, workers' compensation laws, and employment rights. , 2016
- I was represented the California Insurance Guarantee Association (CIGA) on workers compensation claims. CIGA is a special entity that is allowed pursuant to the Insurance Code and it takes over cases in which insurance carriers go bankrupt. However, the qualifications for a claim to fall within CIGA's jurisdiction and protection are nuanced and complicated. I underwent significant additional training to be on the panel for attorneys that can represent CIGA. , 2018
- Liberty Mutual Insurance Company - I represented Liberty Mutual and it's subsidiaries in more than 30 workers' compensation case when I was working for an insurance defense law firm, Hanna Brophy. , 2018
- FedEx - I represented FedEx in workers compensation cases while working at an insurance defense law firm, Hanna Brophy. , 2018
- I am a Committee Members on the CAAA's Regulation Committee where we discuss the proposed and passed Regulations. We provide feedback to the Legislators or various legal entities that promulgate these Regulations, and we work with other important stakeholders (including insurance carrier entities) to ensure that the California Workers Compensation system continues to operate to the benefit of the injured workers and the State of California's intent as indicated in the California Constitution, Labor Code and CCR's. Further, our work includes attending Lobby Day up in Sacramento to speak to state legislators re: our clients' interest and problems access justice. , 2020
- I am a member of California Applicants' Attorneys Association (CAAA) and participate in the list serve providing feedback on case law, doctors, and other relevant information with other CAAA members. , 2019
Office location for Timothy Chan
5900 Sepulveda Blvd
Sherman Oaks, CA 91411
- Rising Stars: 2020 - 2023