Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Thousand Oaks, CA
Susan H. Witting has more than 35 years of experience practicing family law. She founded her own firm, the Law Offices of Susan H. Witting, in order to help clients in Thousand Oaks, California, and throughout Ventura County with divorce, child custody and other difficult matters in both courtroom litigation and mediation settings. She has earned the status of Certified Family Law Specialist, which is a distinction awarded by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization only to those attorneys who have the most extensive and in-depth understanding of family law issues.
Ms. Witting was admitted to practice law in California in 1983 after graduating from Pepperdine University School of Law. She was born in California and was raised in Thousand Oaks, where she has spent most of her life. As a result, she has developed deep ties to the community, which she continues to maintain through her engagement in various volunteer and civic service activities.
An active member of the Ventura County Family Law Bar Association, Ms. Witting has previously served as president of the organization and a member of its board of directors. She has received recognition in Ventura County in a number of different areas, including a commendation from the Thousand Oaks City Council for her service as a planning commissioner and a resolution in recognition of her devotion to civic duty by the County of Ventura Board of Supervisors.
Ms. Witting has been recognized by her peers as one of the best family law lawyers in Ventura County. She has been given the BV Distinguished* rating by Martindale-Hubbell’s attorney peer review service.
*AV-Preeminent and BV-Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 90%Family Law
- 10%Military/Veterans Law
Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Custody & Visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Domestic Violence, Name Change, Paternity, Prenuptial Agreements, Marital Property, Same Sex Family Law, Military Divorce
- Super Lawyers: 2012 - 2022
About Susan Witting
First Admitted: 1983
Professional Webpage: http://www.shwfamilylaw.com/Attorney-Profile/Susan-H-Witting...
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Established and Chaired "Family Law Forums" through Ventura County Commission for Women for the benefit of County residents in the process of divorce. Chaired, moderated and coordinated forums to help inform and explain the divorce process, forums were held in varous locations throughout Ventura County from 1988 to 2001
Pro bono/Community Service
- Executive Secretary, Ventura County Commission for Women, 1988 to 1990
- Conejo Youth Employment Service, member of board of directors through present and president multiple years, 1993 to present
- Member, Ventura County Commission for Women, 1987 to 1990
- Member of the General Plan Review Committee for the City of Thousand Oaks, and Chair of the Open Space Subcommittee, 1988
- Grant Committee Member and Founding member, Women's Legacy Fund, Ventura County , 2001
- Commissioner, Thousand Oaks Planning Commission, 1990
- University of Colorado, Major: Political Science, 1980
- Lifetime Instructor Credential for "Law", California Community Colleges, 1985
- Domestic Relations - Family Law, The State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization, 2001
- Commendation for service as Planning Commissioner, Commendation, Thousand Oaks City Council, 1990
- Reader's Choice Awards for the Best of the Conejo Valley, Best Attorney - 2nd place, Conejo Valley Daily News, 1993
- Received recognition at Woman of Distinction Award luncheon, Recognition, Tres Condados Girl Scout Council, 1994
- Resolution on October 16, 1990, for devotion to Civic Duty and service on the Ventura County Commission for Women, Board of Supervisor Resolution, Ventura County Board of Supervisors, 1990
- Award for Boss of the Year, Boss of the Year, Ventura County Legal Secretaries Association, 2001
- Recipient of Named Gift Honoree in appreciation of significant contributions to the AAUW Educational Foundation, Thousand Oaks Branch, Named Gift Honoree, American Association of University Women, 1993
- Article explores the effect of the Servicemember's Civil Relief Act on family law issues. , co-author, The SCRA and Family Law: More than Just Stays and Delays, Family Law Quarterly, Family Law Section of the American Bar Association, 2009
- Presentation of a continuing education seminar focusing on family law "hacks", in other words, emphasis on how to make the practice of family law substantively and procedurally easier., Writer/Presenter, Top 10 Family Law Hacks, Conejo Valley Legal Professionals Association, Legal, 2019
- American Registry; America's Most Honored Professionals, Top 1%, 2016
- Top Women Attorneys in SOuthern California, 2012-2020
- American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, Selection 10 Best California 2015-2020
- Ventura County Family Law Bar Association, President, 1997 - 1998
- Ventura Family Law Bar member
- State Bar of California
- American Association of University Women, Thousand Oaks Branch, President, 2001 - 2002
- Ventura County Family Law Bar Association, Board Member, 1996 - 2000
- American Bar Association, Family Law Section, Member
- American Association of University Women, 1976
- City of Thousand Oaks Planning Commission, Commissioner, 1990 - 1991
- Ventura County Bar Association, Member, Board of Directors, 1998 - 2000
- Member of the Board of Trustees, Ventura and Santa Barbara Colleges of Law, 2002 to 2010
- California, 1983
- Ventura County Commission for Women, Commissioner, 1987 - 1990
Last Updated: 5/15/2022