Top Rated Business & Corporate Attorney in Torrance, CA
A highly regarded transactional and litigation attorney, John Whitcombe is one of the managing partners at Greenberg, Whitcombe, Takeuchi & Gibson, LLP. Based in Torrance, California, he represents clients throughout the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area.
After majoring in physics as an undergraduate, Mr. Whitcombe spent several years in private industry, where he held executive positions in private companies and worked on mergers and other types of transactions. He then went on to attend the University of LaVerne College of Law and was awarded his Juris Doctor with honors in 1988. Mr. Whitcombe also holds a Master of Business Administration from the University of Southern California, having obtained that in 1992.
A portion of Mr. Whitcombe’s litigation practice involves his representation of companies that are involved in employment law disputes. His work in this regard has encompassed wrongful termination, retaliation, sexual harassment, and claims of alleged discrimination that are brought under various state and federal laws. Mr. Whitcombe’s litigation experience has also covered contract breaches, fraud, intellectual property disputes and products liability defense.
Mr. Whitcombe’s transactional experience has included business formation, mergers and acquisitions, debt and equity financing, and joint ventures. He has also served as general counsel to several companies, advising them on regulatory compliance and other matters. His superb track record in all of his professional endeavors along with his high degree of ethics have earned him an AV Preeminent* peer review rating through Martindale-Hubbell along with several other honors. Admitted to practice in California since 1988. Mr. Whitcombe is also admitted to practice in the District of Columbia and before the U.S. District Courts for the Central, Southern, Eastern, and Northern Districts of California, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit, and the Supreme Court of the United States.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 30%Real Estate: Business
- 10%Employment Litigation: Plaintiff
- 10%Estate Planning & Probate
- 10%Mergers & Acquisitions
- 10%Tax: Business
Business Formation and Planning, Limited Liability Companies, Partnership, Sub-chapter S Corporations, Contracts, Business Organizations, Condominiums & Cooperatives, Landlord/Tenant, Mortgage & Refinance, Short Sale, Employment Discrimination, Wrongful Termination, Employment Law - Employer, Estate Planning, Probate & Estate Administration, Trusts, Tax Law
- Super Lawyers: 2021 - 2022
About John Whitcombe
First Admitted: 1988, California
Professional Webpage: https://gwtllp.com/john-d-whitcombe/
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Active member of Board of Directors - LaCrosse Footwear (Nasdaq: BOOT), chairman of Governance Committee, member of Audit Committee.
- University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California
- California State University, Dominguez Hills, California
- University of Southern California, M.B.A., 1992
- South Bay Association, Member
- National Institute of Trial Advocacy, Member
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America, Member
- California Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of California Real Property and Business Sections, Member
- State Bars of Washington DC, Member
- State Bars of California, Member
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- District of Columbia, 2008
- California, 1988
- Admitted to District of Columbia as practicing attorney. , 2008
- Admitted to US Supreme Court for purposes of appeal taken from multistate case. , 1996
- Successfully negotiated over five million square feet of office/industrial/retail space during year on behalf of landlords and tenants, 2021
- Closed large number of real estate and business based transactions, totaling in excess of $400MM during pandemic.
- Successfully defended numerous employment based claims during pandemic, including PAGA, wrongful termination, discrimination and retaliation , 2021
- Recovery unpaid commercial rent from defaulting tenants of 400,000 sf industrial building. Litigate exception from pandemic moratorium. , 2020
- Settlement of litigated investment into liquor distillery - client received large cash distribution after default in settlement payment from funds held in escrow by third party. , 2018
- AV rated continuously since 1997, AV Rated, Martindale Hubble, 2022
- AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Pro bono/Community Service
- General counsel to Oarsmen Foundation, charity with $50MM in assets, 2022
- Providence Healthcare Systems
- GLS Building Corp.
- Boy Scouts of America
- Javier's Restaurants Air Liquid GLS Building Corp, 2022
- Expert Testimony
- High-Net Worth
- out of state
- Small Business
Last Updated: 5/15/2022