John L. Dodd
Top rated Appellate attorney in Tustin, CaliforniaJohn L. Dodd and Associates, Prof. Corp.
Practice Areas: Appellate; view more
Licensed in California since: 1986
Education: Western State University College of Law
John L. Dodd and Associates, Prof. Corp.17621 Irvine Blvd.
Tustin, CA 92780 Visit website
For more than 30 years, John L. Dodd, founder of John L. Dodd and Associates, Prof. Corp., has been serving clients throughout California from his office in Tustin. Focusing his practice on appeals and writ petitions, he represents both respondents and appellants in civil, criminal, family, juvenile, parental rights and adoption matters.
After attending the University of California, Davis, Mr. Dodd earned his Juris Doctor from Western State College of Law in Fullerton, California. While in law school, he was awarded the American Jurisprudence Award in both criminal procedure and property law, and participated in the Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition. Mr. Dodd also studied legal history and international law at Downing College at the University of Cambridge in England.
After graduating from law school, Mr. Dodd worked as a staff attorney with the 5th District Court of Appeal and practiced with private law firms before founding his own firm. Admitted to practice in California, he is also admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of the United States and the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the 7th and 9th Circuits. The holder of an AV Preeminent* rating from Martindale-Hubbell, Mr. Dodd has been named to Los Angeles Magazine's list of top Southern California attorneys and Orange Coast Magazine's list of top attorneys in Orange County.
Mr. Dodd served for many years as a board member of the Orange County Lawyers Chapter of the Federalist Society, also serving as its president from 2004 to 2008. For over a decade he was a member of the Executive Committee of the Civil Rights Practice Group of the Federalist Society. A former president of the Orange County Chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution, he has served as the chancellor general of the National Society, Sons of the American Revolution, and is currently serving as the Treasurer General, or chief financial officer.
*AV Preeminent and BV Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories: legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 100% Appellate
First Admitted: 1986, California
Professional Webpage: https://www.appellate-law.com/attorney-profiles/john-l-dodd-...
- Book Review: Takings, Private Property and the Power of Eminent Domain, 14 Western State University Law Review 639, 1987
- Note: People v. Ruggles: The Ruggles, Robbins, Ross Roundabout, 13 Western State University Law Review 641, 1986
- Co-Author, Federalist Society White Paper, The Case for Judicial Appointments, 1993
- Continuing Legal Education Speaker, Orange County Barristers
- Continuing Legal Education Speaker, Orange County Bar Association, College of Appellate Advocacy
- Continuing Legal Education Speaker, Orange County Bar Association, Appellate Section
- Continuing Legal Education Speaker, California Academy of Adoption Lawyers
- Continuing Legal Education Speaker, American Association of Adoption Attorneys
- Continuing Legal Education Speaker, California Association of Appellate Defense Counsel
- Continuing Legal Education Speaker, Chapman University School of Law
- Continuing Legal Education Speaker, Simon Greenleaf (now Trinity) School of Law
- Continuing Legal Education Speaker, Western Orange County Bar Association
- Continuing Legal Education Speaker, Newport Harbor Bar Association
- Benefits of OCBA Section Membership, Orange County Lawyer, November 1994
- Parental Rights Primer, Orange County Lawyer, May 1994
- Program Chair, Orange County Bar Association, 1993
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1990
- Member, California Advisory Commission, United States Commission on Civil Rights, 2007 - 2014
- Delegates, Ethics and Professionalism Task Force
- Chair, Orange County Bar Association, Appellate Section, 1994
- California, 1986
- U.S. Court of Appeals for 9th Circuit
- Member, Board of Directors, Orange County Bar Association, 1996 - 2002
- Judiciary Committee Task Force
- U.S. Court of Appeals for 7th Circuit
- Chairman, Committee of Bar Examiners, State Bar of California
- President, Orange County Barristers, 1996
- Jessup International Law Moot Court Team, Western State University in Fullerton, California
- Martindale-Hubbell "AV Preeminent" Rating
- Editorial Board Member, Staff Writer, Law Review, Western State University in Fullerton, California
- Top Attorney in Orange County by Orange Coast Magazine
- "Best Oralist" Award in Moot Court, Western State University in Fullerton, California
- American Jurisprudence Awards in Property Law and Criminal Procedure, Western State University in Fullerton, California
- Southern California by Los Angeles Magazine
- University of California at Davis, B.S. in Law
- Downing College, Cambridge University, Cambridge, England, International Law and Legal History
- Certified Specialist, Appellate Law, 1996
- People v. Sanchez (2016) 63 Cal.4th 665. In this landmark case, the California Supreme Court agreed with our arguments that statements a “gang expert” relied on to opine on defendant's gang membership were hearsay, explaining that, when an expert relates case-specific out-of-court statements and treats the content of those statements as true to support expert's opinion, the statements are admitted for their truth; and if they are testimonial, there is a potential Confrontation Clause violation., 2016
- Adoption of Joshua S., 42 Cal.4th 945, 2008
- Jeff Tracy, Inc. v. City of Pico Rivera (2015) 240 Cal. App. 4th 510. The Court of Appeal agreed our contractor client was entitled to a jury trial on a licensure issue, reversing a $5,487,370.05 judgment., 2015
- In re Santos Y., 92 Cal.App.4th 1274, 2001
- In re Charlotte D., 45 Cal.4th 1140, 2009
- In re Bridget R., 41 Cal.App.4th 1483, 1996
- In re Marriage of Samson, 197 Cal.App.4th 23, 2011
- In re Zacharia D., 6 Cal.4th 435, 1993
- In re Marriage of Moschetta, 25 Cal.App.4th 1218, 1994
- Frederick v. Superior Court, 223 Cal.App.4th 988, 2014
- Johnson v. Calvert, 5 Cal.4th 84, 1993
Office location for John L. Dodd
17621 Irvine Blvd.
Tustin, CA 92780
- Super Lawyers: 2006, 2012 - 2023