Jason M. Horst
Top rated Business Litigation attorney in Walnut Creek, CaliforniaHorst Legal Counsel
Practice Areas: Business Litigation, Business & Corporate, E-Discovery; view more
Licensed in California since: 2006
Education: University of San Francisco School of Law
Horst Legal Counsel1600 S Main St
Walnut Creek, CA 94596
As a managing partner at the Walnut Creek, California, law firm of Horst Legal Counsel, Mr. Jason M. Horst provides dedicated counsel and the best possible experience to clients across California. He is, perhaps, well known for his work in cannabis law, and assists with real estate law, business litigation, insurance coverage, risk management, employment law issues and intellectual property law.
Although he possesses a vast amount of litigation experience, Mr. Horst tries to resolve issues through alternative dispute resolution techniques. He has represented hundreds of plaintiffs and defendants at trial and appellate levels in both state and federal courts. During his tenure with the firm, he has supported a variety of clients, including individuals, business owners, public entities, professional associations and nonprofit organizations.
Licensed to practice in California since 2006, Mr. Horst attended Brandeis University and obtained his Bachelor of Arts with honors in 2000. He then received his Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, from the University of San Francisco School of Law in 2006. As an outstanding law student, he won the Academic Excellence Award and served as the comments editor of USF Law Review.
Early in his legal career, Mr. Horst worked as a judicial extern for the Honorable Judge Jeffrey S. White at the United States District Court for the Northern District of California. He also garnered experience by working at several other large, reputable law firms in the San Francisco Bay Area and Oakland, California.
A passionate and informative writer, Mr. Horst has penned numerous blogs on cannabis law, insurance law and other topics. He is the published author of articles for law journals of the University of San Francisco and The University of Texas at Austin. He also frequently speaks and presents at conferences and continuing legal education seminars.
As a result of his accomplishments, Mr. Horst was offered many honorary positions and awards. He is a member of the California Cannabis Industry Association and the former chair of its Risk Management Committee. He also functioned as the vice president of the International Cannabis Bar Association. He was named to the mg Magazine's List of "30 Powerful Cannabis Attorneys You Should Know."
Practice areasBusiness Litigation, Business/Corporate, E-Discovery, Employment Litigation: Defense, Insurance Coverage, Intellectual Property
Employment Law - Employer
- 40% Business Litigation
- 20% Business/Corporate
- 10% E-Discovery
- 10% Employment Litigation: Defense
- 10% Insurance Coverage
- 10% Intellectual Property
First Admitted: 2006, California
Professional Webpage: https://www.horstcounsel.com/attorneys-jason-horst/
- "California Bar Committee Opines that Attorneys Can Ethically Represent Cannabis Clients", The Horst Counsel Law Blog, June, 2020
- Imaginary Intent: The California Supreme Court’s Search for a Specific Legislative Intent that Does Not Exist, 39 USF. L. REV 1045, 2005
- The Meaning of ‘Life’: The Morning-After Pill, the Question of When Life Begins, and Judicial Review, 16 TEX. J. WOMEN & L. 205, 2007
- "The Cannabis Lawsuits Are Coming... But Should They?", The Horst Counsel Law Blog, July, 2018
- Cannabis and Insurance (with Prof. Francis Joseph Mootz, III), 23 Lewis & Clark L. Rev. 893, 2019, 2019
- "Coronavirus and SAFE Transactions", The Horst Counsel Law Blog, May, 2020
- State Bar of California
- Brandeis University, B.A., Graduated with Honors, 2000
- Selected as a Super Lawyer for 2023, Super Lawyer, superlawyers.com, 2023
- Selected as Rising Star in Northern California Super Lawyers magazine, 2015-2016
- mg Magazine’s Top 30 Litigation Attorneys, 2018
Office location for Jason M. Horst
1600 S Main St
Walnut Creek, CA 94596
- Super Lawyers: 2023
- Rising Stars: 2015 - 2016