Matthew B. Talbot
Top rated estate & trust litigation attorney in Walnut Creek, CaliforniaTalbot Law Group, P.C.
Matthew is a top rated Trust, Estate, and Conservatorship Attorney in Walnut Creek, CA. Matthew specializes in Trust Law, Conservatorships, Financial Elder Abuse and related Probate matters including Estate Planning. Matthew began his career in the field of trusts and estates, and expanded into elder law, becoming a specialist in complex conservatorship and trust issues.
Matthew's commitment to outstanding service has earned him the prestigious Super Lawyers designation for 2021 and Super Lawyer's Rising Star for 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020. Mr. Talbot has additionally received Avvo's top rating of "Superb" in Elder Law, Lead Counsel Rating in Estate Planning, and recognition in San Francisco Magazine.
Additionally, Matthew is a member of the Complex Conservatorship Panel for Contra Costa County, an exclusive group of highly qualified attorneys. He has also been chosen specifically by the Courts to represent individuals in complex court proceedings involving Trusts, Estate Planning, and Conservatorships. He was featured on ABC7 News for his Estate Plan work during the Pandemic.
Matthew is committed to advocating on behalf of his clients, and has gained a reputation as a trusted professional.
Mr. Talbot is deeply involved in his community. He has taught classes on behalf of the Contra Costa Bar Association to other attorneys, given talks for the Robert McGrath Inns of Court and Barristers Association, and continues to serve as a mentor for attorneys in the practice of Trusts, Estate and Elder Law.
Matthew was admitted to the California bar in 2006 and has practiced probate law in Contra Costa County since 2006. He earned his J.D. at the University of San Francisco and his Bachelor's Degree from the University of California Berkeley.
Matthew is a member of the Trusts and Estates section of the California State Bar. Additionally, he is a member of the Estate Planning and Probate section, Elder Law section, ADR Section, Women’s Section, and Litigation section of the Contra Costa County Bar Association.
Matthew is on the Executive Board for the Robert G. McGrath American Inns Of Court. He is an active member of the Executive Board for Contra Costa County Senior Legal Services. In addition, Matthew has participated as a columnist and editor for Contra Costa Lawyer Magazine and Lamorinda Weekly.
Matthew is also a California Notary Public.
Practice areasEstate & trust litigation, Estate planning & probate, Elder law, General litigation
Will contests, Estate planning, Guardianships & conservatorships, Living wills, Power of attorney, Probate & estate administration, Trusts, Wills, Litigation
- 40% Estate & trust litigation
- 30% Estate planning & probate
- 20% Elder law
- 10% General litigation
First Admitted: 2006, California
Professional Webpage: https://www.matthewbtalbot.com/elderlawattorneymatthewtalbot
- University of California Berkeley, Bachelor of Science, 2003
- Article for Contra Costa Lawyer Magazine on Financial Elder Abuse as it occurs in Civil, Criminal, and Probate Law, Inns of Court: When Elder Abuse Crosses Over
- Complex Conservatorship Panel, Contra Costa County, Member
- Conservatorship, Trust Litigation, and Elder Abuse case in which my client, the daughter, was trying to obtain a conservatorship over her mother, who was incapacitated and being abused and isolated by her sister. In addition, we needed to get the sister removed as trustee of the mom's trust. Successfully mediated and resolved situation to protect mother and trust assets.
- Co-teacher of "Probate 101 for Attorneys" on behalf of the Contra Costa County Bar Association, 2015
- Avvo's top rating of "Superb" in Elder Law, Lead Counsel Rating in Estate Planning, and recognition in San Francisco Magazine
- Successfully mediated case in which a son needed to get a conservatorship over his father because he was undergoing financial elder abuse by a woman whom he had recently met. We were able to obtain the conservatorship and remove her from the house., 2015
- Each year, Contra Costa Lawyer Magazine chooses from its best writers and awards them the position of guest editor. This year, I was chosen for the December issue., Guest Editor, Contra Costa Lawyer Magazine, 2015
- Super Lawyers, 2018 - 2020
- Super Lawyers, 2016
- Super Lawyers, 2017
- Notary Public, 2015
- Common Issues in Trust Litigation, 2016
- How a Healthcare Directive and a Power of Attorney prevent the need for a Conservatorship in CA, 2016
- How an Administrator of an Estate is Chosen when there is no Will or Trust, 2016
- Why an Attorney is Necessary to Obtain a Conservatorship in California, 2016
- What is an Estate Plan and why do SF Bay Area Families Need one?, 2016
- The Role of Undue Influence in cases of Financial Elder Abuse, 2016
- Matthew is a member of the Trusts and Estates section of the California State Bar. Additionally, he is a member of the Barristers section, Estate Planning and Probate section, Elder Law section, ADR Section, Women’s Section, Solo and Small Firm Section, and Litigation section of the Contra Costa County Bar Association. Matthew is on the Executive Board for the Robert G. McGrath American Inns Of Court. He is an active member of the Executive Board for Contra Costa County Senior Legal Services, and is a member of the National Association of Elder Law Attorneys. In addition, Matthew is a columnist for Contra Costa Lawyer Magazine and Lamorinda Weekly., 2017
- California, 2006
- Attorney and Board Member for Contra Costa Senior Legal Services, an organization that provides free legal services to seniors in Contra Costa County., 2017
Office location for Matthew B. Talbot
2033 North Main Street
Walnut Creek, CA 94596
- Super Lawyers: 2021 - 2023
- Rising Stars: 2016 - 2020
Certificates and credentials
Estate Planning, Trust & Probate Law