Top rated Employment & Labor attorney in Woodland Hills, CaliforniaElkins Employment Law
Cynthia Elkins, the founder of Elkins Employment Law, formed in 1998, represents employers throughout California in employment related matters, including providing advice and counsel, litigation defense, management training, and human resource consulting. Cynthia's belief in a proactive and preventative approach helps to avoid disputes and minimize the risk facing employers. This approach has benefited her clients over three decades of a successful career. Cynthia also conducts workplace investigations for employment related claims.
Throughout her career, Ms. Elkins has become an engaging, sought-after speaker on a variety of employment law topics, regularly speaking for The State Bar of California, for the California Lawyers Association, local bar associations throughout California and for private trade associations, private entities. A talented writer, she is also a contributing author to various publications for the State Bar of California and for the CLA.
She is an active member of the California Lawyers Association (CLA), as co-chair of the Solo & Small Firm Summit, and is a member of the Labor and Employment Law section, Litigation and Solo & Small Firm Sections. Ms. Elkins serves as an advisor to the Executive Committee for the CLA Solo & Small Firm Section. For many years, Cynthia was the Delegate to California Bar Association Council of Sections and chaired the Council in addition to her role as a district director of the Conference of Delegates for The State Bar of California and conference delegate for the San Fernando Valley Bar Association.
Ms. Elkins was also a long time member of the board of directors of the Valley Cultural Center and also held the position of trustee with the San Fernando Valley Bar Association. Ms. Elkins also volunteered her time as general counsel for the Woodland Hills-Tarzana Chamber of Commerce.
After graduating from California State University, Northridge with a Bachelor of Science in business administration, Ms. Elkins attended Southwestern Law School, where she obtained her Juris Doctor. Since then, she has represented businesses of all sizes regarding their human resource and employment law matters.
Practice areasEmployment & Labor: Employer, Employment Litigation: Defense
Employment Law - Employer, Retaliation, Sexual Harassment, Wage & Hour Laws, Whistleblower, Wrongful Termination
- 60% Employment & Labor: Employer
- 40% Employment Litigation: Defense
First Admitted: 1986, California
Professional Webpage: http://employer-law.com/about-cynthia-elkins/
- I was honored to receive the Super Lawyer designation for several consecutive years. , Super Lawyer, Super Lawyer
- This honor was given to recognize the many years of community service to the many organizations with which I am involved - Woodland Hills-Tarzana Chamber of Commerce, Valley Cultural Center, San Fernando Valley Bar Association, San Fernando Valley Bar Association Conference of Delegates, the CDCBA and others., Golden Oak , Woodland Hills-Tarzana Chamber of Commerce, 2009
- Southwestern University School of Law, JD Law, 1985
- CSU Northridge, BS Business Administration, 1982
- Advisor to the CLA Solo & Small Firm Section Executive Committee (2006 to present); advisor to the CLA Litigation Section (2014 to 2018); Chair of the 2019, 2020 & 2023 CLA Solo & Small Firm Summit; Co-Chair and Council Representative, State Bar of California Council of Section (2010 - 2018); Board of Directors for the Valley Cultural Center (2006 - 2014); Board of Trustees, San Fernando Valley Bar Association and Attorney Referral Service committee (2002 to 2012); Woodland Hills-Tarzana Chamber of Commerce (2007 to 2010); SFVBA Conference of Delegates and District Director for the CDCBA. I am a regular contributor to various publications of CLA including the two volumes of Opening, Growing and Managing Your Practice; regularly present and conduct MCLE programs for CLA, and speak throughout the State on employment law and human resources best practices., 2002
- Member of Board of Directors, Valley Cultural Center; Member Board of Trustees of the San Fernando Valley Bar Association, Member SFV Attorney Referral Service committee; Member, SFVBA Conference of Delegates; District Director for the CDCBA; Vice Chair, Board Developement Valley Cultural Center, General Counsel for the Woodland Hills-Tarzana Chamber of Commerce and Board of Directors for ONE Generation in the San Fernando Valley., 2002
- Obtained a defense verdict after a 3 week jury trial in a sexual harassment case; i have successfully resolved cases on behalf of defendants through mediation and private negotiations. , 2006
- Sullivan Curtis Monroe Insurance Services , Lecturer, Employment Law For Businesses in California , All, 2017
- Whether new to the practice of law, or a member of a firm, starting your own legal practice is a huge "leap of faith". This presentation provided insight into how to go about opening your firm, including deciding on your practice area, creating your brand, networking tips and other practical information from those who have opened their own firm and successfully built a solo or small firm practice., Presenter , Taking the Leap of Faith - Opening Your Law Practice , California Lawyers Association, Attorneys, Law Students, 2020
- Law Firms, as any other professional service provider, had to understand the challenges facing business operations as an "essential" business during COVID-19. This presentation provided the guidance required to comply with the multitude of state, federal and local regulations on COVID-19 in the workplace., Presenter, Legal Challenges Facing Employers Amidst COVID-19 , California Lawyers Association , Legal Professionals, 2020
- Employers in all industries faced numerous restrictions during the Covid-19 Pandemic including remote work, vaccination mandates, job restructuring, workplace monitoring, etc to comply with State, Federal and local regulations and guidance. This presentation addressed those issues to allow employers to adapt, modify and continue operations., Presenter , Workplace Issues in the Era of COVID-19, Numerous industries, 2021
- This presentation provided the legal background of disability discrimination claims and provided practical and real-life guidance for employers to address workplace concerns when an applicant or employee notifies the employer that they have or may have a disability which limits their ability to perform the functions of the position., Presenter, Your Employee Just Told You They Have a Disabiity - Now What Do You Do? , East Ventura County Employer Advisory Council , Professional; Hospitality, 2023
- California Lawyers Association MCLE program, Presenter , The Business of Being An Employer- Critical Issues In Managing Your Firm, California Lawyers Association, Attorneys, 2018
- State Bar Section Education Institute MCL presentation , Presenter, Social Media Impact In Employment Litigation , State Bar of California , Attorneys, 2015
- State Bar Solo & Small Firm (2010 – 2020), contributing author to 3 chapters , The California Guide to Opening, Growing, & Managing A Law Office , Solo & Small Firm Section of the California Lawyers Association, 2020
- State Bar Section Convention , Presenter , Fundamentals of Litigating Disability Discrimination Cases... A Plaintiff and Defense Perspective, State Bar of California , 2017
- CLA Annual Meeting 2018, Presenter , Independent contractors…. The perils of mis-classification, California Lawyers Association, 2018
- All Industries
Office location for Cynthia Elkins
5959 Topanga Canyon Blvd
Woodland Hills, CA 91367
- Super Lawyers: 2020 - 2024