Alexandra P. Smits
Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Denver, CO
Attorney Alexandra P. Smits is a partner with Harrington Brewster Mahoney Smits, P.C., law firm in Denver, Colorado. A top-ranked lawyer with nearly 20 total years of legal experience behind her, Ms. Smits focuses her practice primarily on family law, and she provides exceptional counsel and support to clients throughout the greater Denver metro and all across the state who are going through a divorce or have some other legal issue affecting their families.
Trained in collaborative law, mediation and other alternative dispute resolution techniques, Ms. Smits prefers to help her clients resolve their conflicts and reach favorable agreements regarding child custody and support, property division, alimony, and other related matters in the most efficient, cost-effective and least-adversarial manner possible. She also handles adoptions, juvenile law and other domestic relations areas, and she has achieved remarkable success helping her clients through very difficult and uncertain times in their lives.
Prior to focusing on family law, Ms. Smits gained extensive experience in criminal defense and employment law, and she has represented the rights and entitlements of many workers and health care professionals in the state. During this time, she also gained invaluable trial experience that serves her well when she has to handle contested divorces in a court of law.
A 1996 graduate of the University of California at Davis, Ms. Smits received her Master of Arts from the London School of Economics in 1997. She then attended the University of Denver Sturm College of Law, where she served as survey editor for the Denver Journal of International Law and Policy.
Ms. Smits obtained her Juris Doctor in 2001, and The Colorado Bar admitted her to practice that same year. She is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado, and she is an active member of the Colorado Bar Association and its Family Law Section, the Denver Bar Association, the Colorado Collaborative Law Professionals, and the Metro Denver Interdisciplinary Committee, among her other professional affiliations.
About Alexandra P. Smits
First Admitted: 2002, Colorado
Professional Webpage: https://www.hbmslaw.com/alexandra-smits
- Colorado Bar Association, Family Law Section
- Denver Source for Collaborative Divorce, Founding Member, 2021
- United States District Court of Colorado, 2002
- Colorado, 2001
- Colorado Collaborative Law Professionals
- Denver County Bar Association
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals, 2015
- Vice President, Metro Denver Interdisciplinary Committee , 2017
- Board of Directors (Secretary), Metropolitan Denver Interdisciplinary Committee , 2016
- President, Metro Denver Interdisciplinary Committee , 2019
- Board of Directors (Treasurer), Metropolitan Denver Interdisciplinary Committee, 2015
- Board of Directors, Colorado Collaborative Divorce Professionals, 2012
- Survey Editor, Denver Journal of International Law and Policy, University of Denver Sturm College of Law, Denver, Colorado
- Selected presenter at the 2017 ADR Conference sponsored by the Colorado Bar Association. Presentation Title: Dispute Resolution and Unbundled/Limited Scope Legal Representation – Challenges and Opportunities for ADR Practitioners Presentation Abstract: Limited scope or “unbundled” legal representation is an increasingly prevalent practice model in Colorado. The approach provides a means for litigants who may not otherwise desire or be able to afford traditional representation to benefit from legal advice and protections. Limited scope attorney involvement limits conflict and cost to parties while also presenting opportunities and challenges for ADR practitioners. The presentation will offer an overview of the unbundled model, ethical considerations, and dispute resolution techniques when unbundled counsel is involved, Presenter, Dispute Resolution and Unbundled Legal Services, Colorado Bar Association/CLE, 2017
- Program provides an overview of the approach, the value to clients and families, ethical rules, and how to effectively apply collaborative principles in every case, Presenter, Collaborative Law: Debunking the Myths, 2019 Colorado Bar Association Family Law Institute, Family Law, 2019
- Presenter at Colorado Bar Association/Family Law Section Luncheon, May 2017 Topic: Standards for 3rd Parties in Domestic Relations Cases, Presenter, 3rd Parties in Domestic Relations Cases , Colorado Bar Association/CLE, 2017
- BA, University of California, Davis, 1996
- MA, London School of Economics, 1997
- Collaborative Law Training, Colorado Collaborative Divorce Professionals, 2014
- Certified Mediator, 2014
Pro bono/Community Service
- Metro Volunteer Lawyers, 2015
Last Updated: 5/15/2022