Douglas I. Richards
Top rated white collar crimes attorney in Denver, ColoradoRichards Carrington, LLC
Practice Areas: White collar crimes, Criminal defense
Licensed in Colorado since: 2010
Education: South Texas College of Law Houston
Languages Spoken: English, Spanish
Doug has been an Assistant United States Attorney and Assistant District Attorney. Now that he is in private practice, Doug is one of Colorado’s most experienced and acclaimed criminal defense lawyers. AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell, with a perfect 10.0 / “Superb” rating by AVVO, Doug has been chosen as a “Rising Star” for several years—a distinction limited to 2.5% of Colorado’s practicing attorneys under the age of 40. Most recently he was recognized as a Super Lawyer for White Collar law. In 2015, he was selected for “The Client’s Choice” Award.
As an Assistant United States Attorney, Doug was responsible for investigating and prosecuting international criminal travel networks, drug trafficking organizations, white-collar crime, threats to national security, and public corruption. In 2010 Doug received the FBI Director’s Award from then FBI Director Robert S. Mueller, III.
Prior to becoming a federal prosecutor, Doug had been an award-winning Assistant District Attorney (ADA) with the Harris County District Attorney’s Office in Houston, Texas. During his tenure there, he tried more than 70 criminal jury trials, including prosecutions of murder, armed robbery, kidnapping, sexual assaults of adults and children, kidnapping, DUI and drug possession.
Recognized as a star within the DA’s office, Doug was chosen to work in the Vehicular Crimes Division. As a prosecutor, Doug’s responsibilities for these cases would often begin in the middle of the night, at the scene of a fatal crash. Along the way, Doug would direct officers and crash investigators through collecting and preserving evidence, drafting search warrants, and preparing the case for grand jury indictment or court. For this work, Doug received awards from Mothers Against Drunk Driving in 2007 and 2008.
In addition to working his own cases, Doug trained prosecutors and police on matters of law and procedure. He was responsible for addressing others’ mistakes when they erred. He perfected the art of drafting a successful, “airtight” warrant, having personally drafted hundreds of search and arrest warrants, and reviewed countless others. Doug has brought all of this experience into his private practice, allowing him to quickly identify any deficiencies, inaccuracies, and mischaracterizations in a prosecutor’s case.
Doug is admitted to practice in all Colorado and Texas state courts, as well as the United States District Courts for Colorado and the Western District of Texas, the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals, the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals and the United States Supreme Court.
First Admitted: 2004, Texas
Professional Webpage: http://richardscarrington.com/doug-richards/
- What Should I do if I get Contacted by the FBI
- What Happens if I Drive Intoxicated from Alcohol or Medication
- Federal Criminal Defense Lawyer
- How do Medical Marijuana Dispensaries Work
- Can my High Profile Case be Moved to a New Trial Location?
- Doug Richards Main Overview Short Version
- Types of cases a Grand Jury will hear
- How do Medical Marijuana Dispensaries Relate to Structuring and Money Laundering
- How can I Handle the Media on my High Profile Case
- Vehicular Manslaughter Attorney
- State vs Federal Crime
- Texas Bar, 2004
- South Texas College of Law, 2004
- Rollins College - Winter Park, Florida, 1998
- Awarded by FBI Director Robert Mueller, III for my work as lead federal prosecutor on a large public corruption case., FBI Director's Award, Federal Bureau of Investigation, 2010
- Chapter 18: State's Case/Prosecutorial Misconduct by Douglas I. Richards & Lindsay Hutchinson, Colorado DUI Defense Manual, 2015
- A clear explanation of Colorado's firearm laws written for the average citizen. Covers topics such as: Where you can and cannot posses a firearm; when you can legally use a firearm; numerous examples of how gun laws impact real lives; and practical information regarding how to stay out of trouble., Author, Colorado Gun Law: Armed and Educated, 2016
- Colorado Ballet – Board of Trustees, 2019
- Super Lawyers: 2018 - 2023
- Rising Stars: 2012, 2014 - 2016