Top Rated Schools & Education Attorney in Denver, CO
- Free Consultation
Kathryn Newell is a partner at Griffin Newell, LLC, in Denver, Colorado. She focuses her practice on education law, especially matters involving disability rights. With more than 12 years of experience practicing law, Ms. Newell currently serves clients in Colorado - including the Denver Metro Area and other regions.
Ms. Newell is committed to fighting for the rights of individuals with disabilities. She has represented many parents of children with special needs. In addition to handling special education cases in the K-12 setting, Ms. Newell also helps adult students facing challenges in higher education. She has considerable experience fighting for the rights of her clients with the compassion and understanding that is needed when addressing complex problems.
Ms. Newell has a Bachelor of Arts degree from Carleton College, majoring in history and graduating magna cum laude. She earned her Juris Doctor from the University of California Berkeley School of Law. Before being licensed to practice in Colorado, Ms. Newell practiced law in Texas and worked as a managing attorney at a nonprofit organization that provides legal aid to low-income individuals. She created a special education team at the same organization.
Active in the legal community, Ms. Newell is a member of the Council of Parent Attorneys and Advocates, Inc., the Colorado Council of Special Education Lawyers, the National Association of Counsel for Children, the Colorado Women's Bar Association and the Colorado Bar Association. An ardent speaker, Ms. Newell has lectured and presented at many conferences and continuing legal education programs.
Ms. Newell prioritizes giving back to her community. When Ms. Newell was in Texas, she co-founded and co-chaired an education and juvenile justice task force to advocate for children’s rights. Ms. Newell has also been a volunteer with the National Association of Counsel for Children and with Great Education Colorado. Ms. Newell currently volunteers her time with the Denver Great Kids Head Start Policy Council.
About Kathryn Newell
First Admitted: 2007, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://www.griffin-newell.com/attorney/newell-kathryn/
Pro bono/Community Service
- National Association of Counsel for Children - volunteer, 2017 to 2018
- Board Member on the Denver Head Start Policy Council - 2021 to Present
- Great Education Colorado - volunteer, 2017 to 2018
- Carleton College - B.A. in History with magna cum laude, 2003
- This presentation addresses various aspects of the Individuals with Disabilities with Education Act (IDEA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973., Protecting the Educational Rights of Students with Disabilities, Education, Disability Rights, 2019
- Presenter for Colorado Department of Education's 2021 Special Education Legal Conference: Progress Monitoring During the Pandemic , 2021
- Denver Bar Association, Member
- Co-Presenter for 44th NACC National Child Welfare Law Conference: Stopping the School-to-Prison Pipeline (Strategies for Representing Students in School Discipline Matters), 2021
- Presenter for National Business Institute's Colorado School Law Update 2021: COVID-19 & the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), 2020
- Presenter for Denver Metro Specialized Education Support for Parents: Getting Through It: Special Education During COVID-19 , 2020
- Co-presenter for Colorado Juvenile Defender Center's Excellence in Juvenile Defense Conference: Educational Rights - Collateral Considerations for your Client's Defense , 2021
- Colorado Bar Association, Member
- Colorado Women's Bar Association, Member
- National Association of Counsel for Children, Member
- Colorado Council of Special Education Lawyers, Member
- Council of Parent Attorneys and Advocates, Inc., Member
- Presenter for National Business Institute's 2020 Special Education Law Toolkit: Mental Health Issues Involving Students with Disabilities; Appropriate School Responses to Bullying and Harassment (Cyberbullying and More); Disciplining Students with Special Needs (MDRs, FBA, BIPs and More) , 2020
- Presenter for Webinar Hosted by Advocacy Denver: Protecting the Educational Rights of Students with Disabilities , 2019
Last Updated: 6/15/2022