Tanya L. Akins
Top rated family law attorney in Denver, ColoradoSherr Puttmann Akins Lamb PC
Practice Areas: Family law; view more
Licensed in Colorado since: 2005
Education: DePaul University College of Law
Sherr Puttmann Akins Lamb PC7979 East Tufts Ave.
Denver, CO 80237 Visit website
Attorney Tanya L. Akins is a founding shareholder with Sherr Puttmann Akins Lamb PC law firm in Greenwood Village, Colorado, and she serves as the firm's Chief Financial Officer. Widely regarded as one of the best lawyers in her region as well as the entire county, Ms. Akins provides exceptional counsel and support to clients throughout the greater Denver metro and surrounding areas who are going through a divorce or have some other serious family law issue they need to address.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Ms. Akins worked for eight years as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, so she has extensive experience assisting families through some of the most difficult and challenging times in their lives. She is well-versed in addressing mental health issues and substance abuse problems within families, and she uses her past experience to bring a unique and invaluable perspective to those she serves. Given this unique background. Ms. Akins has served as a Guardian Ad Litem in cases and also does Parenting Coordinator/Decision Maker work.
Honored for her impeccable professionalism and outstanding client service, Ms. Akins has earned consistent recognition from The Best Lawyers in America, along with many other top rankings and endorsements from her peers. She has also received numerous testimonials and referrals from her satisfied clients, and she finds great reward in being able to help so many in her community during their times of dire need.
A 1992 graduate of Northern Illinois University with a Bachelor of Science in family and child studies, Ms. Akins received her Master of Social Work from the University of Illinois at Chicago in 1996. Upon deciding to pursue her legal career, she attended DePaul University College of Law, where she obtained her Juris Doctor in 2008 and graduated cum laude.
Ms. Akins holds her license to practice in Illinois and Colorado, and she is an active member of the Colorado Bar Association and its Family Law Section, the Douglas-Elbert, Denver and Arapahoe County Bar Associations, and the Metro Denver Interdisciplinary Committee.
Practice areasFamily law
Adoption, Alimony & spousal support, Child support, Custody & visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Domestic violence, Juvenile law, Name change, Paternity, Marital property, Mediation & collaborative law, Same sex family law
- 100% Family law
First Admitted: 2005, Colorado
Professional Webpage: https://www.spalfamilylaw.com/professionals/tanya-l-akins/
- Northern Illinois University, Bachelor of Science in Family and Child Studies, 1992
- University of Illinois at Chicago, Master of Social Work, 1996
- Arapahoe County Pro Se Clinic Volunteer, 2018
- Arapahoe Country Pro Se Clinic Volunteer, 2022
- Tanya attempts to have at least one pro-bono case at all times including Guardian Ad Litem work.
- The article was written in support of Metro Volunteer Lawyers in which Tanya proudly served as a Board Member., Author, Five Reasons for You to Take a Pro Bono Case, The Docket, Denver Bar Association Members, 2019
- Guest Presenter – “Life After Divorce”, Castle Rock Radio
- Presenter – Association of Family and Conciliation Courts 47th Annual Conference on Parental Alienation and the Role of the Attorney
- Colorado Bar Association, 2021
- Metro Denver Interdisciplinary Committee, 2021
- Arapahoe Country Bar Association, 2021
- Arapahoe County Bar Association, 2020
- Member – Colorado Bar Association Family Law Section
- Illinois Bar – Admitted in May 2005
- Colorado Bar – Admitted in October 2005
- Colorado Bar Association, 2020
- Metro Denver Interdisciplinary Committee, 2020
- Douglas/Elbert County Bar Association, 2020
- Douglas/Elbert County Bar Association, 2019
- Arapahoe County Bar Association, 2019
- Metro Denver Interdisciplinary Committee, 2019
- Colorado Bar Association, 2019
- Colorado Bar Association, 2018
- Metro Volunteer Lawyers Advisory Board – 2017 to 2020
- Metro Denver Interdisciplinary Committee, 2018
- Arapahoe County Bar Association, 2018
- Douglas/Elbert County Bar Association, 2018
- , Best Lawyers in America, 2022, 2022
- Colorado Rising Star, Super Lawyers – 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
- , Awarded one of Colorado’s Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers, 2022, 2021, 2020
- Tanya has been awarded one of the Best Lawyers in America for 2021, Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers, 2021
- Award from US News & Best Lawyers as one of the Best Law Firms in America., Best Law Firms 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, US News and Best Lawyers, 2022
- Best Law Firm, U.S. News / Best Lawyers, 2013
- Tanya was selected as one of the Best Lawyers in America for 2020., Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers, 2020
- Tanya was selected as one of the Best Lawyers in America for 2019., Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers, 2019
- Best Law Firm by Best lawyers and US News, Best Law Firm, Best Lawyers & Us News, 2019
- Best Law Firm, U.S. News / Best Lawyers, 2016
- Best Law Firm, U.S. News / Best Lawyers, 2017
- Best Law Firm, U.S. News / Best Lawyers, 2014
- Best Law Firm, U.S. News / Best Lawyers, 2018
- Best Law Firm, U.S. News / Best Lawyers, 2012
- Best Law Firm, U.S. News / Best Lawyers, 2015
Office location for Tanya L. Akins
7979 East Tufts Ave.
Denver, CO 80237
- Super Lawyers: 2020 - 2023
- Rising Stars: 2012 - 2015