Todd J. McNamara
Top rated Employment & Labor attorney in Denver, ColoradoMcNamara & Shechter LLP
As founder of McNamara Roseman & Shecter LLP, Todd McNamara is committed to representing clients across Colorado, including those in the Denver area. He focuses his practice on handling labor and employment law from the plaintiff's perspective, including matters such as race discrimination and wrongful termination.
In 1974, Mr. McNamara graduated magna cum laude from the Chaminade University of Honolulu. He went on to earn a Juris Doctor from St. John's University School of Law, graduating with honors in 1979.
Mr. McNamara has devoted his career to advocating for those who have suffered discrimination or other wrongdoing in the workplace. An arbitrator and mediator, he knows the value of settling employment matters outside the courtroom. However, some cases must go to trial in order to preserve the rights of the employee. In each case, he builds trust with his clients by providing personal attention and collaborating to develop a sound legal strategy.
Among his achievements, Mr. McNamara settled an age discrimination case for $7.6 million, and he won the country's first race discrimination case for failure to award a franchise against a real estate franchise company. In another notable case, he represented 90 plaintiffs in a claim involving the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974, securing a $2.1 million judgment. He has 11 recoveries for cleints in excess of $1 million. Thanks to these and other successes, Mr. McNamara holds the highest rating possible of AV Preeminent* from Martindale-Hubbell; he has an Avvo "Superb" rating; and he has been repeatedly selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America.
A published author, Mr. McNamara is a member of the National Employment Lawyers Association, The College of Labor and Employment Lawyers and the Colorado Plaintiff Employee Lawyers Association.
In his spare time, Mr. McNamara enjoys watching professional baseball and volunteering with the Denver Zoo as an assistant zookeeper and giraffe guide.
*AV®, BV®, AV Preeminent® and BV Distinguished® are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer-review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings fall into two categories – legal ability and general practice standards.
Practice areasEmployment & Labor: Employee, Employment & Labor: Employer
Employment Law - Employee, Labor Law, Sexual Harassment, Unions, Wage & Hour Laws, Whistleblower
- 90% Employment & Labor: Employee
- 10% Employment & Labor: Employer
First Admitted: 1980, Colorado
Professional Webpage: https://rockymtnemploymentlawyers.com/todd-mcnamara/
- Lead Private Class Counsel, Wilkerson, et al., v. Martin-Marietta, the largest age discrimination claim brought within the state of Colorado, which settled for a reported $7.6 million
- Co-Counsel, Vaszlavik v. Storage Tek, an age discrimination class action which settled for $5 million
- Tyler v. ReMax, secured the first race discrimination verdict in the United States against a real estate franchise for failure to award a sales agency to an African-American
- Class Co-Counsel, settled a $3.85 million disability discrimination case against the United States Postal Services
- LaSelle v. Public Service, secured a $2.1 million judgment on behalf of 90 plaintiffs in an ERISA claim
- Class Co-Counsel, an ERISA action, Piet, et al. v. Lontine, which settled for $5 million
- Angie's List
- Active Volunteer at the Denver Zoo both as an Assistant Zoo Keeper and as a Guide
- Mile High Down Syndrome Association
- Association for Retarded Citizens
- AV rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected as one of the “Top 50” Lawyers
- Top 100 Lawyers in Colorado, SuperLawyers
- Preeminent Lawyer in the area of Labor and Employment, received a perfect score of 5.0., Martindale-Hubbell’s Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers
- Best Lawyers in America for Labor and Employment since 2008
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 Trial Lawyers for the state of Colorado
- Colorado Super Lawyer in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015
- Colorado Employment Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers, 2013
- Editor of Federal Employment Jury Instructions
- Co-Chapter Editor with the Practitioners Guide to Colorado Employment Law
- Published articles on Employment Law issues in both Trial Talk and The Colorado Lawyer
- Colorado Plaintiff Employment Lawyers Association, Board Member, 2006 - 2013
- Colorado Bar Association, Labor Law Committee, Co-chair
- College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, Fellow, 2006 - Present
- Colorado Plaintiff Employment Lawyers Association, Member, 1995 - Present
- National Employment Lawyers Association, Member, 1995 - Present
- American Arbitration Association, Employment Panel, Arbitrator and Mediator
- Chaminade College, Honolulu, Hawaii, Honors: magna cum laude, 1974
Office location for Todd J. McNamara
1888 Sherman Street
Denver, CO 80203
- Super Lawyers: 2006 - 2024