Zachary (Zac) Roeling
Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Denver, CO
- Virtual Appointments
As an attorney-mediator and attorney, I bring a solid track record of effective and compassionate problem-solving to the practice of family law throughout Colorado, whether the issues concern finances, support or children.
I represent couples and also work with couples seeking to avoid litigation to resolve divorce, legal separation, custody and other family law matters between spouses, former partners and co-parents. I also offer representation services for private clients who meet my firm's criteria of mindfulness, integrity and respect, and who wish to protect their rights without resorting to damaging, litigious strategies.
For all my clients, I draw on years of experience litigating cases on the range from customary matters to complex cases involving difficult child custody (e.g., relocation, substance & personality disorders, alienation and mental health concerns) and high-end financial issues (e.g., business interests, idiosyncratic income, separate property & trust issues). I utilize skills honed alongside Colorado's most venerated divorce professionals for almost a decade, seeking to find harmony between my prior experience in the law and contemporary conflict-resolution approaches incorporating mindfulness and emotional intelligence.
I listen to my clients carefully, conduct a thorough analysis of the facts and am adept at distilling legal concepts into simple, digestible language. I offer a holistic approach and have great success disarming opposing attorneys who do not share my philosophy. For all my clients, I strive to empower them to consider the consequences of a given course of action on their and, if applicable, their children’s emotional, relational and psychological health, not just their legal bottom-line.
I also have experience in drafting estate documents & pre- and post-nuptial agreements. I understand well the myriad roles these documents play in a divorce. As a member of the LGBTQ+ community, I also stay abreast of the unique legal challenges in the law for LGBTQ+ individuals and children.
In 2021, I was elected to the Executive Council of the Family Law Section of the Colorado Bar Association (CBA), a 20-member governing body overseeing the practice of family law for thousands of attorneys across Colorado. I also serve as Secretary of the Board of Directors of Colorado Collaborative Divorce Professionals (CCDP), whose mission is to further the knowledge of out-of-court divorce options for Colorado's families as well as Metro Volunteer Lawyers (MVL) on behalf of the Denver Bar Association (DBA), where I help connect attorneys willing to accept pro bono cases for individuals in the Denver Metro in need of civil legal services who cannot afford a lawyer.
I am a proud Colorado native (born and raised in Ft. Collins), a devoted reader and writer and a classically trained pianist. In 2009/10, I taught English to secondary school students just west of Paris. I speak fluent French and return to my adoptive second homeland as often as my schedule allows.
In my spare time, you'll find me reading novels and magazines outdoors (probably at one of Denver's beautiful parks), spending time with my partner and our Golden Retriever puppy, Zelda, or diving deep into a contemporary novel or HBO series.
- 50%Family Law
- 40%Alternative Dispute Resolution
- 10%Estate Planning & Probate
Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Custody & Visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Prenuptial Agreements, Marital Property, Mediation & Collaborative Law, Same Sex Family Law, Arbitration, Mediation, Estate Planning, Living Wills, Power of Attorney, Probate & Estate Administration, Trusts, Wills
- Rising Stars: 2018 - 2022
About Zachary (Zac) Roeling
First Admitted: 2014, Colorado
Professional Webpage: https://youlawco.com/attorneys-staff/
- “Gender Expansive Children in Domestic Relations Matters: Redefining ‘Best Interests’,” with Prof. Marie-Amélie George, Wake Forest University School of Law, Colorado Bar Association CLE, May 2022 (forthcoming)
- “Colorado Civil Unions Judicial Toolbox,” Colorado Judicial Institute, 2014
- “What a Tangled Web We Weave – Dissolution Remedies for Non-Marital & Part-Marital Relationships,” Family Law Institute, Breckenridge, CO, 2016
- Colorado's 2022 Family Law Institute (FLI) held in Vail, Colorado, Planning Committee Member & Plenary Session Presenter, Plenary Session Presenter, Family Law Institute, Vail, CO (forthcoming), "When Neutral Isn't Enough" - Strategies for Effective Settlement and Mediation, Law, Mediation, 2022
- What a Tangled Web We Weave: Dissolution Remedies for Non-Marital and Part-Marital Relationships,” Family Law Institute, Colorado Bar Association, Breckenridge, CO, August 2016
- Taught English, Eure-et-Loir just west of Paris, 2009-2010
- “Civil Unions Judicial Toolbox,” with Kim Willoughby, May 2014, for the Colorado Judicial Conference in June 2014
- Colorado Super Lawyers Rising Star
- University of Denver Sturm College of Law, Denver, Colorado, Honors: Robert B. Yegge Memorial Scholarship, President, DU OUTLaws, Family Law
- University of Colorado at Boulder, B.A. - 2009, Honors: Katherine Jacob Lamont Scholarship in the Humanities, Dean’s Scholarship, College of Arts and Sciences, Major: English Literature and French
- Colorado Collaborative Divorce, Level 1 Training, Certified, 2016
- Colorado Collaborative Divorce Professionals (CCDP), Secretary of the Board (President of the Board in 2024), 2020
- Family Law Section Executive Council, Elected Member-at-Large, 2021-2023, 20-member governing body of thousands of Family Law Attorneys in Colorado, Membership Committee, Diversity, Equity & Inclusivity Committee, Family Law Institute (FLI) Planning Committee
- American Bar Association
- Arapahoe Bar Association
- Adams-Broomfield Bar Association
- Executive Council of Family Law Section, Elected Member-at-Large, Colorado Bar Association (CBA), Serving Two-Year Term (2021 - 2023), 2021
- Metro Volunteer Lawyers (MVL), Board Member for the Denver Bar Association, 2020
- Metropolitan Denver Interdisciplinary Committee on Child Custody (MDIC), 2020
- Colorado Bar Association, Family Law Section, Trust and Estates Section, Litigation Section, Young Lawyers Division
- National LGBT Bar Association
- Colorado LGBT Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
- Liaison for Family Law, Colorado Bar Association Young Lawyers Division
- Colorado, 2014
Last Updated: 5/23/2022