R. Eric Solem
Top rated Elder Law attorney in Englewood, ColoradoSolem Woodward & McKinley, P.C.
Practice Areas: Elder Law, Estate Planning & Probate, Administrative Law view more
Licensed in Colorado since: 1975
Education: University of Wisconsin Law School
Languages Spoken: English, Spanish
Solem Woodward & McKinley, P.C.750 West Hampden Ave
Englewood, CO 80110 Visit website
Attorney R. Eric Solem is the founder and partner of Solem Woodward & McKinley PC in Englewood, Colorado. A top-rated attorney with more than 45 years of legal experience, Mr. Solem provides exceptional representation and support to clients throughout the greater Denver area and all across the state who have legal needs involving any of the following:
· Elder law and Medicaid and Medicare lien resolution
· Estate planning
· Trust planning and administration, including special needs trusts
· Probate and probate litigation
Over the course of his long and illustrious legal career, Mr. Solem has assisted thousands of clients with establishing and enforcing their final wishes for the future while helping them to create a lasting legacy for their heirs and loved ones. Through his practice, he has become a recognized authority on elder law, and he has achieved notable success handling state and federal cases as well as appeals involving a wide range of elder law issues.
Moreover, Mr. Solem has extensive experience with Medicaid and Medicare lien resolution, and he helped establish restrictions on the Medicaid estate recoveries and personal injury liens throughout the state. Along with maintaining a successful legal practice, he also helped establish and once served as president of the Colorado Fund for People with Disabilities, Inc.
At all turns, Mr. Solem strives to provide the highest level of representation possible to those he serves, and he has earned consistent top rankings and endorsements from his peers. He has also received excellent client reviews and many testimonials from his satisfied clients.
A graduate of the University of Wisconsin–Madison, Mr. Solem obtained his Juris Doctor from the University of Wisconsin Law School in 1974. He holds his license to practice in Wisconsin and Colorado, and he is admitted to practice before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 8th and 10th Circuits as well as the U.S. Supreme Court.
Highly active in his legal community, Mr. Solem is a member of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, the Colorado Bar Association's Trust and Estate Section, and the Colorado Trial Lawyers Association, among his other professional affiliations.
Practice areasElder Law, Estate Planning & Probate, Administrative Law, Health Care
- 50% Elder Law
- 30% Estate Planning & Probate
- 10% Administrative Law
- 10% Health Care
First Admitted: 1975, Colorado
Professional Webpage: https://www.solemlaw.com/team
- Mandy R. v. Owens, 464 F.3d 1139 (10th Cir. 2006), cert. denied, Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals (Waiting list case for Medicaid services for developmentally disabled population).
- Successfully litigated Medicaid lien case apportionment in Colorado Court of appeals saving client $100,000 Case is now used as a model for Medicaid lien negotiations in Colorado, 2016
- In Re: Schiola, 51P.3d 1080 (Colo. App. 2002), Court of Appeals, Colorado (Hardship notices in estate recovery cases mandatory).
- Monez v. Reinertson, 140 P.3d 242 (Colo. App. 2006), Colorado Court of Appeals (Enforceability of Medicaid statutes allowed under Sec. 1983 in state court).
- In Re Estate of Kochevar, 94 P.3d 1253 (Ct. App. 2004), Colorado Court of Appeals (Statute of limitations on hardship claims.
- Ramey v. Reinertson, 268 F.3d 955 (10th Cir. 1988), U.S.D.C.-Colorado (Class action case on Medicaid qualifying trust statute and its effect after repeal and on SSI Beneficiaries).
- Houghton v. Reinertson, 382 F.3d 1162 (August 2004), Colorado Court of Appeals (Countability of retirement funds for spouse of institutionalized persons).
- Neikirk v. Apfel, 104 F.Supp.2d 1291 (D.Colo. 2000), U.D.C.-Colorado (Alienability of federal survivor's annuity benefits into Medicaid disability trusts).
- Trust and Estate Section, Colorado Bar Association
- Colorado Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Member of Case Coalition, a group of professionals who work with personal injury attorneys to achieve settlement excellence for injured clients which includes trusts, annuities, and financial and long term medical planning needs see www.casecoalition.com, 2018
- Uniform Trust Code Committee, Colorado Bar Association, 2019
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA), Long Time Member, 2019
- Elder Law Section Colorado Bar Association, 2019
- Colorado, Super Lawyer
- University of Wisconsin, BA, Psychology, 1969
- Admitted to the Wisconsin Bar, 1974
- Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals, 2015
- Licensed to practice before the United States Supreme Court, 1989
- Licensed to practice before the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals, 1983
- Admitted to the Colorado Bar, 1975
- The Struggle for Control Over Trusts and Medicaid Benefits, Colorado Lawyer Article (Co-Authored with Patricia A. Mack), 2001
- discussion of case law and other considerations in resolving these liens, Presentations to personal injury attorneys, How to Resolve a Medicaid Lien, CTLA Attorneys, 2018
- covering conservatorships, trusts, and other legal considerations, Presentations to personal injury attorneys, How to Settle a Minor's Case in Probate Court, CTLA Attorneys, 2018
- Supplemental Care Trust, Disability Trusts and Discretionary Trusts. Co-authored with Ridgeway, Romeo & Vincent, LLC, 2000
- Lifetime Planning for Special Needs Children and Adults, Colorado Fund for People with Disabilities, Inc., 2006
- Planning for Long Term Care: The Impact of New Medicaid Rules in Colorado, Educational Services, 2006
- Summary of Medicaid Eligibility Requirements Under the Deficit Reduction Act of 2005, Colorado Bar Association, 2006
- Member of the Case Coalition, 2019
- Board of Directors Colorado Fund for People with Disabilities, Inc., 2010
Office location for R. Eric Solem
750 West Hampden Ave
Englewood, CO 80110
- Super Lawyers: 2007 - 2010, 2019 - 2023