Alan C. Shafner
Top rated Personal Injury attorney in Greenwood Village, ColoradoShafner Injury Law
Attorney Alan C. Shafner is the founder and principal of Shafner Injury Law in Denver, Colorado. A nationally ranked trial lawyer with more than 43 years of total legal experience, Mr. Shafner provides invaluable and effective counsel, advocacy and support to clients across his region who have legal needs involving any of the following:
· Car accidents
· Premises liability accidents
· Wrongful death cases
· Nursing home abuse and neglect
· Catastrophic trucking accidents
· Victims of sexual assault or abuse
Early in his legal career, Mr. Shafner worked with the Jefferson County District Attorney’s Office in Golden, Colorado, where he served as lead prosecutor on a number of high-profile and complex criminal cases. He then worked for a prominent law firm in his area for 28 years, ultimately becoming a named partner until he established his own law firm in 2011.
Since that time, Mr. Shafner has achieved remarkable success fighting for the rights and entitlements of accident victims and their families. Honored for his outstanding professionalism and superior client service, he has earned an AV Preeminent peer review rating* from Martindale-Hubbell and a membership in the National Trial Lawyers Top 100, along with consistent recognition from his peers as being among the top 5% of lawyers in his region. He has also received "Superb" client ratings on AVVO.
After graduating with distinction from the University of Colorado in 1975, Mr. Shafner attended the Houston College of Law, where he obtained his Juris Doctor in 1978. He holds his admission to practice before the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado, the Colorado Court of Appeals, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Mr. Shafner is also an active member of the Colorado Trial Lawyers Association, the Association of Trial Lawyers of America, the Denver Bar Association and the Colorado Bar Association. He is also a member of the prestigious American Board of Trial Advocates and he has served on the Colorado Bar Association's ethics committee.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Most recently , Alan recovered several million dollars for two clients involved in a very contentious old field explosion. After three plus years of litigation the case settled shortly before trial
In another recent litigated case that went to trial in Boulder county the jury awarded Alan's client $1,500,000 in a wrongful death of a child case. This was third largest verdict in Colorado for that year
Recently, Alan had a significant resolution for his client in a sexual abuse matter where the defendant took photographs of the victim and posted the them on the internet. This was especially rewarding because the defendant did not have insurance and had to pay out of pocket. Again, this case settled shortly before trial
Alan's most recent outstanding litigated case occurred in May 2022 when he recovered $700,000 for his client's son who was runover in a parking lot. There was only $100,000 insurance available yet the amount recovered was seven times the insurance coverage. Unfortunately, one of the defendants had to pay from his personal funds .
Practice areasPersonal Injury - General: Plaintiff
Animal Bites, Assault, Brain Injury, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Premises Liability - Plaintiff, Sexual Abuse - Plaintiff, Slip and Fall, Trucking Accidents, Wrongful Death
- 100% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
First Admitted: 1979, Colorado
Professional Webpage: https://www.shafnerlaw.com/about-us/our-denver-attorneys/
- Groh v. Westin Operator, LLC, 347 P.3d 606 (Colo. 2015)
- Klausz v. Dillon Companies, Inc., 779 P.2d (Colo. 1989)
- Martinez v. W.R. Grace Co., 782 P.2d 827 (Colo. 1989)
- Lira v. Davis, 832 P.2d 240 (Colo.1992)
- Davis v. Lira, 817 P.2d 539 (Colo. App. 1991)
- Lira v. Shelter, 832 P.2d 240 (Colo. 1992)
- Cung La v. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company, 830 P.2d 1007 (Colo. 1992)
- Spencer v. Sytsma, 67 P.3d 1 (Colo. 2003)
- Groh v. Westin Operator, LLC, 352 P.3d 472 (Colo. 2013)
- Premises Liability, National Business Institute
- Trial Judge Denver University Sturm College of Law Moot Court 2011 – 2012
- Speaker Premises Liability Blockbuster 2016
- Colorado Criminal Defense Bar Association
- Negligent Security, National Business Institute
- Colorado Bar Association Ethics Committee 2010-2011
- Colorado Bar Association, 1979 – present
- Colorado Trial Lawyers Association, 1983 – present
- American Association for Justice, 1983 – present
- American Board of Trial Advocates, 1998 – present
- Martindale-Hubbell AC Peer Review Rated
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- “AV” rating from the prestigious Martindale-Hubbell
Office location for Alan C. Shafner
5500 Greenwood Plaza Blvd
Greenwood Village, CO 80111
- Super Lawyers: 2019 - 2024