Top rated Criminal Defense attorney in Salida, ColoradoAttorney at Law
Practice Areas: Criminal Defense, DUI-DWI, White Collar Crimes
Licensed in Colorado since: 1988
Education: University of Colorado Law School
Attorney at LawPO Box 549
245 East Hwy 50, Ste. 13
Salida, CO 81201 Visit website
With more than 30 years of experience, Randy C. Canney is a Colorado criminal defense lawyer with the insight, strategy and determination to skillfully defend his clients' rights and freedoms. He aids clients who have been accused of misdemeanors and felonies of all kinds, from charges of driving while impaired (DWI) and drug crimes to sexual assault and first-degree murder.
Rated as an AV-Preeminent* attorney, Mr. Canney has handled approximately 70 felony trials and an equal number of other criminal jury trials, plus numerous criminal case appeals in the state appellate courts. The Colorado state courts have also accepted him as an expert witness in criminal defense on over twenty-five occasions.
In 2005 the Colorado Criminal Defense Bar awarded Mr. Canney the Jonathan Olom Award, which memorializes "remarkable personal sacrifice made without regard to personal gain in the defense of the accused." He is also listed in "Best Lawyers in America." He frequently teaches and lectures on criminal law topics.
Mr. Canney received his J.D. from the University of Colorado at Boulder in 1988. He is currently a member of the both the Colorado Criminal Defense Bar Association and the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.
Outside of law, Mr. Canney is a rated chess master and many time Colorado State Chess Champion. He has also completed several Ironman triathlons, ultra-marathons, and other endurance events.
*AV Preeminent and BV Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the Bar and the Judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings fall into two categories - legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasCriminal Defense, Criminal Defense: DUI/DWI, Criminal Defense: White Collar
- 80% Criminal Defense
- 10% Criminal Defense: DUI/DWI
- 10% Criminal Defense: White Collar
First Admitted: 1988, Colorado
Professional Webpage: http://www.canneylaw.com/attorney-profile.html
- "AV" Rating, Martindale Hubbell
- Listed in "Best Lawyers in America"
- Recipient, 2005 Jonathan Olom Award, Colorado Criminal Defense Bar Association
- Colorado Criminal Defense Bar Association
- Colorado, 1988
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Colorado College, B.A. in English, 1984
- Presented a lecture on the disclosure requirements of the defense in Colorado State Court criminal cases to the Colorado Criminal Defense Bar., Lecturer, 2009
- Presented lectures on using brain damage and brain scans for mitigation in criminal cases. Presented to attorneys with the Colorado Criminal Defense Bar and to investigators with the Colorado Public Defender at their respective yearly conferences., Lecturer, 2004
- In 2015, presented a program on making the appellate record in the trial court to the First Judicial District Bar Association in Golden, CO., Lecturer, 2015
- Presented lectures on criminal jury instructions in 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2016 at the Alternate Defense Counsel's intensive one week trial practice for its attorneys., Lecturer, Criminal Jury Instructions, 2014
- Presentended a series of lectures to the Colorado Criminal Defense Bar, Alternate Defense Counsel, and the Douglas County Public Defenders office on attacking prior convictions, collateral attacks, and post-conviction motions., Lecturer, Attacking Prior Convictions, 2012
- Presented a lecture on direct examination to attorneys in a day long program on trial practice put on by the Colorado Criminal Defense Bar., Lecturer, 2011
- Presented lectures on developing mitigation for plea bargaining and sentencing to attorneys with the First Judicial District Bar Association and to investigators with Alternate Defense Counsel., Lecturer, 2008
Office location for Randy Canney
PO Box 549
245 East Hwy 50, Ste. 13
Salida, CO 81201
- Super Lawyers: 2007 - 2023