Donna L. Buttler
Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Avon, CT
The co-founder of her eponymous law firm, Donna L. Buttler focuses her practice exclusively on family law matters. Located in Avon, Connecticut, she represents clients throughout Farmington Valley and other parts of the greater Hartford metropolitan area. Admitted to practice before all Connecticut state courts, Ms. Buttler is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit.
A significant portion of Ms. Buttler's practice entails her representing people whose marriages are coming to an end and who are thus having to deal with such divorce-related issues as child custody and visitation, the division of complex assets and debts, and spousal and child support. A forceful courtroom advocate for her clients when litigation is necessary, her extensive experience in mediation and collaborative law often allows her to help many of them come to an accord on these matters through the use of those alternative dispute resolution methods. In addition to her divorce practice, Ms. Buttler's family law experience has encompassed the preparation and review of prenuptial agreements, and she has helped clients whose marriages have already been dissolved and who are now seeking the enforcement of or modifications to existing support and parenting orders. She has also assisted domestic violence victims in obtaining appropriate protective orders. Importantly, Ms. Buttler and several members of her immediate family are active or retired military personnel and therefore, she has particular understanding of the unique issues impacting military families, including knowledge of retirement benefits and transfers.
Ms. Buttler attended the University of Rochester as an undergraduate, where she majored in biology and chemistry and graduated with honors in 1978. After spending several years with a major insurance company, she decided to pursue a legal career and enrolled at the University of Connecticut School of Law, obtaining her Juris Doctor with honors in 1994. Ms. Buttler established her current practice in November 2017.
- 100%Family Law
Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Custody & Visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Domestic Violence, Paternity, Prenuptial Agreements, Marital Property, Mediation & Collaborative Law, Same Sex Family Law, Father's Rights
- Super Lawyers: 2019 - 2022
About Donna L. Buttler
First Admitted: 1994, Connecticut
Professional Webpage: https://dbuttler.com/meet-the-team-new/
- Special Master for the Hartford and New Britain Judiciary
- Co-Chair Hartford County Family Law Bar
- Co-President of Connecticut Collaborative and Nonadversarial Divorce
- I am a member of the International Association of Collaborative Professionals and the Connecticut Collaborative Divorce Group. I am on the Board of Directors for the Connecticut Council for Non-Adversarial Divorce and co-chair for the Family Law Section of the Hartford County Bar since 2013. I serve as a Special Masters for the Superior Court of Hartford and New Britain.
- Bar Admissions Admitted to bar 1994, Connecticut, Superior Court, Appellate Court, Supreme Court, U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut. Professional Memberships Connecticut Bar Association, Connecticut Bar Association Family Bar Section, Hartford County Bar Association, Family Law Section, co-chair Hartford County Family Law Committee (2010-); American Inns of Court/ Oliver Ellsworth Inn of Court; Connecticut Council for Divorce Mediation, Connecticut Collaborative Divorce Lawyers, International Academy of Collaborative Professionals, Judicial Appointments Clerk, the Honorable Michael R. Sheldon Special Master, Superior Court Family Docket Hartford, New Britain (2000-)
Pro bono/Community Service
- Served as the leader of the Family Readiness Support Unit for the 8th Brigade, US Army, coordinating services for personnel and their families in preparation, throughout and upon return from deployments to the MidEast. Wounded Warrior, fundraising and event coordination Connecticut Legal Services, ongoing acceptance of family law litigation
- Attended the University of Rochester and graduated with honors with a dual degree in Biology and Chemistry. Then I attended the University of Connecticut Law Shool; graduating with honors, third in my class.
- I appeared on WTNH Channel 8 and spoke about parenting needs before and after the Divorce., Navigating the Holidays in the midst of Divorce, 2014
- Attorney Buttler was spotlighted for two (2) radio presentations for CUTV News Radio and interviewed on Family Law issues, with one interview concentrating on dealing with Litigation and one interview focused on Alternative Dispute Resolution such as collaborative negotiation and mediation. , CUTV News Radio interview, 2018
- As presented in the November 2019 edition., CT Magazine's Top 100 Lawyers in Connecticut, 2019
- graduating with honors, University of Connecticut, 1994
- The National Advocates top 100 Lawyer, 2015
Last Updated: 5/15/2022