Top rated medical malpractice attorney in Farmington, ConnecticutAdvocates Law Firm, LLC
Attorney Ron Murphy is the founder and principal trial lawyer of Advocates Law Firm LLC in Farmington, Connecticut. A nationally ranked trial attorneys and board certified as a civil trial advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy, Mr. Murphy provides unmatched advocacy and support to clients throughout the state who have suffered injuries or loss as a result of someone else's negligence as well as those who stand accused or are under investigation for any type of felony or misdemeanor criminal offense.
Over the course of his legal career spanning more than 37 years, Mr. Murphy has achieved considerable success fighting for the rights and entitlements of individuals and families adversely affected by medical malpractice and other preventable tragedies. Among his most notable successes, he recently secured a jury verdict of $4 million for the estate of a wrongful death victim along with an award of more than $3.3 million for the death of a patient due to a delay in medical treatment and subsequent sepsis infection.
Equally effective in his criminal defense practice, Mr. Murphy has handled thousands of criminal matters in state and federal courts in his region, and he has achieved a long record of securing acquittals, dismissals and reduced sentencing for clients facing an array of charges, from money laundering, embezzlement and other white collar crimes to drug distribution, burglary, arson and more.
In honor of his outstanding professionalism and service, Mr. Murphy has earned an AV-Preeminent peer review rating* from Martindale-Hubbell along with consistent recognition from The Best Lawyers in America©. He has also received designation as one of the Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Connecticut from the American Trial Lawyers Association, and he is a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
Mr. Murphy obtained his Juris Doctor from the University of Connecticut School of Law in 1983, and he holds his license to practice in Massachusetts as well as Connecticut. He is also a graduate of the Trial Lawyers College and the National Criminal Defense College, and he once held certification as an emergency medical technician in Connecticut.
Drawing upon his extensive legal knowledge, Mr. Murphy has several publications to his credit, and he has served as an instructor at the Trial Advocacy Institute and the Gerry Spence's Trial Lawyers College. He is also an active member of the American Bar Association, the Connecticut Bar Association, the Massachusetts Bar Association and the American Trial Lawyers Association, among others. He also serves on the Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association's board of governors, and he is the former president of the Connecticut Criminal Defense Lawyers Association.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers in America© are registered trademarks of BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC. The names, logo, and database are protected under the trademark, copyright, and fair use laws of the United States of America. Any use of name, including in electronic form, must be made only by permission and under the guidelines of BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC.
Practice areasPersonal injury - medical malpractice: plaintiff, Professional liability: plaintiff, Personal injury - general: plaintiff, Criminal defense, Criminal defense: DUI/DWI, Criminal defense: white collar
Medical malpractice, Birth injury, Delayed or incorrect diagnosis, Informed consent, Legal malpractice, Professional malpractice - other, Ethics & professional responsibility, Animal bites, Motor vehicle accidents, Slip and fall, Wrongful death, Dram shop laws, Brain injury, Trucking accidents, Arrest & arraignment, Assault & battery, Criminal fraud, Criminal law, Drug & alcohol violations, False accusations, Felony, Juvenile delinquency, Misdemeanor, Motor vehicle offenses, Murder, Probation, Sex offenses, Tax evasion, Theft, Traffic violations, Criminal domestic violence, DUI/DWI, White collar crime, Criminal law - federal
- 20% Personal injury - medical malpractice: plaintiff
- 30% Professional liability: plaintiff
- 20% Personal injury - general: plaintiff
- 10% Criminal defense
- 10% Criminal defense: DUI/DWI
- 10% Criminal defense: white collar
First Admitted: 1983, Connecticut
Professional Webpage: https://www.advocateslawfirm.com/attorney-ron-murphy.html
- Member, Task Force on Grievance Procedures, 1998
- "Practical Legal Ethics in Connecticut," National Business Institute (2002); "Ethics and Trial Lawyers," Connecticut Bar Association (2003); "The Attorney Discipline Process - How to Best Deal with the New Rules, New People, and New Penalties," Connecticut Bar Association (2005)
- "Considerations of Ethics and Law for Criminal Defense Retainers," Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association (2001)
- "Legal Ethics and Advertising," Connecticut Bar Association (2001)
- "Grievance Defense: Should You Respond on the Merits at the Local Panel?" Connecticut Law Tribune, 1998; "Protect Yourself Against Claims by Prospective Clients With Letters of Declination," Connecticut Law Tribune, 2000; "Ethical, Legal, and Practical Considerations of Retainer Agreements," Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association, 2001; "Lawyer Advertising and Solicitation in Connecticut," National Business Institute 2002
- "Voir Dire for Criminal Defense," National Business Institute (2006)
- Connecticut Medical Malpractice Claims, Connecticut Action & Remedies-Tort Law, Butterworth Publishing (1993) - An overview and analysis of Connecticut Medical Malpractice Law, Author, 1993
- "Criminal Defense Litigation in Connecticut," National Business Institute (1996)
- "Strategies in Defending DUI Cases," National Business Institute (1996)
- "The Many Changes in State and Federal Criminal Law," Hartford County Bar Association (1995)
- "Driving Under the Influence: Dealing with the New Laws and Regulations," Hartford County Bar Association (1993)
- Taking the Criminal Case to Trial, National Business Institute, 1996
- Ethical Considerations in Criminal Defense, National Business Institute, 1996
- Faculty Instructor, Trial Advocacy Institute, National Institute of Trial Advocacy and the Connecticut Bar Association
- "The Best Lawyers in America" in Criminal Defense
- A-V Martindale-Hubbell™ Rating
- "Top 100 Trial Lawyers" in Connecticut, The American Trial Lawyers Association, 2009
- Connecticut "Super Lawyer" in the areas of Plaintiff's Personal Injury, Plaintiff's Medical Malpractice, and Criminal Defense, Law and Politics
- CRIMINAL DEFENSE Since 1983, Attorney Ron Murphy has successfully defended thousands of cases in state and federal criminal court. Some of his criminal cases include: acquittal after 7 week trial in a federal money laundering prosecution; acquittal after 8 weeks of trial in a multi-defendant drug prosecution; acquittal of robbery and conspiracy in state court; acquittals in numerous DUI trials. And while acquittals were not obtained in the following cases, the results were excellent for the client: after murder trial began, negotiated effective sentence of 7 years for Manslaughter First Degree; after trial began, no jail time for executive accused of $7 million bank fraud; after trial began, 4 months in halfway house for a police officer accused of raping a prostitute at gunpoint; no jail time and one day probation for a man accused of shooting and killing his roommate; no jail time for young woman charged with tampering with evidence and illegal sale and possession of drugs after her a friend died in her apartment from heroin overdose. Also, Attorney Murphy was both trial and appellate counsel in State v. Miller, a leading case in Connecticut law expanding the rights of citizens under the Connecticut Constitution.
- INJURY, ACCIDENT, MALPRACTICE CLAIMS Since 1983, Attorney Ron Murphy has helped thousands of people obtain justice in the form of money damages for injuries, harms, and losses suffered as a result of negligence and carelessness. Some sample verdicts or settlements include: $4,000,000 jury verdict for the Estate of a man killed by a drunk driver; $3,350,000 for the Estate of a woman who died after doctors caused a perforation during surgery and then failed to repair it before a massive infection occurred; $2,200,000 for the Estate of a young boy who died because doctors failed to diagnose his diabetes; $1,950,000 for the Estate of a man whose illness was not properly diagnosed by health care providers; $1,865,000 for a young girl in a car hit by a drunk driver; $1,100,000 for the Estate of woman whose illness was not properly diagnosed by emergency room personnel; $800,000 for a young woman injured in a car accident; $780,000 for a man injured during shoulder surgery; $735,000 for a man injured during a hernia repair operation; $700,000 for a woman injured in a car accident; $690,000 for a man injured in a factory by a defective extension cord; $690,000 for a woman injured in a car accident; $600,000 for an elderly woman injured in a car accident; $575,000 for an eighty-one year old man who suffered broken legs when hit by a drunk driver leaving a Connecticut casino; $500,000 for a company that lost money because of a law firm's malpractice; $400,000 for an elderly woman hurt in a car accident; $365,000 for a man whose heart attack was not treated properly by ambulance attendants; $300,000 for a woman whose sinus cancer was not diagnosed in a timely manner; $276,000 for a twenty-seven year old woman who suffered a broken hip in a car accident; $250,000 for a young man wrongfully convicted because of his criminal defense lawyer's malpractice; $225,000 for an eighty-one year old woman whose eye was injured during the administration of anesthesia before glaucoma surgery; $200,000 for a three year old girl injured during the administration of anesthesia during heart surgery; $150,000 for a young man who suffered a broken leg in a car accident; $125,000 for a woman whose civil rights were violated by a city police department; $100,000 for a six-year old girl bit in the face by a dog. This is a short list of sample recoveries obtained for injured clients.
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers: Member (1986-present)
- Member, Massachusetts Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Member, American Trial Lawyers Association
- Massachusetts, 1985
- Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association: Member (1984 - present); Board of Governors (2004-present); Presenter/Lecturer at various seminars
- Massachusetts Academy of Trial Attorneys: Member (1986-present)
- American Association for Justice (formerly known as Association of Trial Lawyers of America): Member (1986-present)
- Connecticut, 1983
- Connecticut Bar Association: Member (1985 - present); Professional Ethics Committee (1997-present); Professional Discipline Committee (1994-present); Task Force on Grievance Procedures (1998); Instructor, Trial Advocacy Institute (2002-present)
- Massachusetts Bar Association: Member (1985-present)
- Member, American Bar Association (Sections: Litigation, Criminal Justice, Professional Responsibility, Law Practice Management)
- Gerry Spence Trial Lawyers College: Staff Instructor (2001-present)
- Member, Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- University of Connecticut School of Law: Adjunct Instructor of Trial Advocacy (2005-present); Adjunct Instructor of Legal Ethics and Professional Responsibility (2000-2002)
- Connecticut Criminal Defense Lawyers Association: Member (1989-present); President (2000-2001)
- Massachusetts Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers: Member (1986-present)
- Trial Lawyers College, 1995
- National Criminal Defense College, 1990
- Board Certified Civil Trial Advocate, National Board of Trial Advocacy (recertification pending), 2000
- Certified (Former) Emergency Medical Technician by the State of Connecticut
- Trained in Auto Accident Reconstruction
- Auto Accidents
- Catastrophic Injury
- Complex Civil Litigation
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Criminal Defense - State And Federal
- Grievance Defense
- Legal Malpractice
- Medical Malpractice
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury
- White Collar Criminal Defense
- Wrongful Death
Office location for Ron Murphy
6 Vine Hill Rd
Farmington, CT 06032
- Super Lawyers: 2006 - 2022