Thomas M. Shanley
Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Greenwich, CT
Attorney Thomas M. Shanley focuses his practice on family law, handling matters involving divorce, child custody, child support and other family law–related issues. He serves clients in Greenwich, Connecticut, and throughout Fairfield County in cities and towns including Darien, New Canaan, Fairfield, Norwalk, Old Greenwich, Stamford, Westport and Weston.
Mr. Shanley has been licensed to practice law since 1979 and has more than 30 years of experience. He is a skilled negotiator and has successfully settled numerous cases but is an extremely effective litigator willing and able to go to trial if required.
Over the course of his career, Mr. Shanley has received many honors and awards for his accomplishments. He is rated AV Preeminent* from the peer review service Martindale-Hubbell and is listed in the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers. He has also been named a “top lawyer” by New Canaan-Darien magazine and one of the “top 522 attorneys in 67 practice areas” by Greenwich magazine.
Active in his legal community, Mr. Shanley has lectured at various bar association events and serves as a special master for the Connecticut Superior Court’s family division. He is a member of professional organizations including the Greenwich Bar Association, the American Association for Justice and the American Bar Association.
Mr. Shanley holds a bachelor’s degree from Fairfield University and received his law degree Cum Laude from New York Law School. He is licensed to practice in all Connecticut state courts and before the U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut and the Supreme Court of the United States.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
About Thomas M. Shanley
First Admitted: 1979, Connecticut
Professional Webpage: https://www.shanleylawfirm.com/attorneys/thomas-m-shanley/
Pro bono/Community Service
- Fairfield University Alumni Association, Treasurer, 1983-2004
- Fairfield University Alumni Association, Director, 1983-2004
- Family Division, Connecticut Superior Court, Special Master, 1983-Present
- The Patterson Club, Board of Directors, Past Member
- Greenwich, Connecticut Bar Association, Monthly Seminar Series, Family Law Section, Lecturer, “The Anatomy of A Divorce” Trial Series Lectures, 1987-1988
- Greenwich, Connecticut Bar Association, Monthly Seminar Series, Family Law Section, Co-Chairperson, 1989
- Greenwich, Connecticut Bar Association, Monthly Seminar Series, Family Law Section, Lecturer, Family Law Seminar, “Relocation Issues in Custodial Disputes,” February, 1992
- Greenwich, Connecticut Bar Association, Monthly Seminar Series, Family Law Section, Lecturer, Family Law Seminar, “Settlement and The Short Term Marriages and Inherited Property”, November, 1992
- Connecticut, 1979
- American Bar Association, Family Law Section, Member
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1986
- The Association of Trial Lawyers of America, Previous Member
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut, 1979
- Greenwich, Connecticut Bar Association, Family Law Committee, Member
- Fairfield University, 1976
- New England’s Super Lawyer section of Top Attorneys
- Listed in the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers, Martindale-Hubbell
- “Top 522 Attorneys in 67 Practice Areas”, Greenwich Magazine
- CT Super Lawyer Magazine
- Top Lawyer in New Canaan, Darien Magazine
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
Last Updated: 5/15/2022