Top Rated Insurance Coverage Attorney in Hamden, CT
Jon’s practice includes litigation in all courts, complex insurance coverage and personal injury law. He has aggressively represented plaintiffs and policyholders for over 30 years. Through trials and settlements, Jon has recovered millions of dollars for policyholders in cases involving insurance payments for unfair insurance practices, bad faith, emotional distress, and legal fees. He is a founding and active member of both the Connecticut Association of Public Insurance Adjusters (CAPIA) and the Executive Committee of the Insurance Section of the Connecticut Bar Association. He has been instrumental in drafting legislation for consumers who have suffered property losses. Jon has lectured to the Connecticut Bar Association and the Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association on insurance-related subjects, and has authored several articles involving agency law, property coverage, and insurance coverage litigation.
About Jon Biller
First Admitted: 1986, Connecticut
Professional Webpage: https://www.billerlawgroup.com/attorney-jon-d-biller
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Connecticut Association of Public Insurance Adjusters, LLC, (“CAPIA”) - Founding Member, Counsel, Legislative Committee Member 2009-present
- College Professor -Albertus Magnus - 2010-2012
- Commissioner - Insurance Commission, Town of Trumbull 1990-1992
- Commissioner - Zoning Board of Appeals, North Haven, CT 1997-2005
- J.D. Pace UniversitySchool of Law, 1986; Moot Court Board; Jessup International Moot Court, Best Written Brief; American Jurisprudence Award, Remedies
- B.S. ClarkUniversity, 1982, Dual Degree Economics and Political Science
- After two years of litigation, Attorney Jon Biller tried the case of Housatonic Wire Co. v. Grozik, in which he represented a Plaintiff property owner who had his most valuable possession, his business and factory, destroyed in an inferno accidentally set by workers. After trial, the Court rejected the insurance company’s claim the property was of no value and entered judgment for our client in the amount of $936,273. With offer of compromise, interest added the defendants were facing a judgment plus interest of $1,088,730. The defendants took an appeal but then agreed to pay $962,000. This case was singled out by the Connecticut Law Tribune in its August 13, 2013 edition for the important precedent it set regarding the valuation of building damages and the liability of tortfeasors for environmental conditions caused by their negligence.
- Some of his recent resolutions include the following: A multimillion dollar resolution of a homeowner claim of a fire loss in Avon which was originally denied for fraud. A multimillion dollar resolution of a municipal sewage treatment facility claim. As a result of Attorney Biller's efforts our client recovered almost three times the amount of the initial offer. Trial of a denied homeowner’s claim from Westport, Connecticut where claims of bad faith and unfair insurance practices resulted in a confidential settlement as well as important insurance precedent favorable to policyholders. A multimillion dollar resolution of a fire loss claim in Prospect, Connecticut. This loss involved damage to irreplaceable art work and custom made furniture. A multimillion dollar resolution of a commercial building collapse in New London County.
Pro bono/Community Service
- Instrumental in drafting legislation for consumers concerning unscrupulous contractors and pricing discrimination for properties in distressed areas.
- The Examination Under Oath- A Connecticut Overview Connecticut Bar Journal, Vol. 83, No. 4, Pg. 289 (Dec.2009) (83 CBJ 289), Author
- Fighting for a Fairer Appraisal Connecticut Law Tribune, Insurance Law Supp., Pg. 14 (Feb.2010) www.ctlawtribune.com/supplements/insurancelit_020810.pdf, Author
- Agent Malpractice in Connecticut, Lorman Educational Seminars, Author and Speaker
- Mold Coverage and Related Issues Connecticut Bar Association, Speaker
- Insurance Coverage Issues, Connecticut Bar Association, Moderator
- Connecticut Bar Association Founding Member of Insurance Section Executive Committee 2001-present, Vice Chairman 2008
- Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association Member 1990-present
- New Haven County Bar Association Member 1993-present
- American Bar Association Member 1997-present
- Public Insurance Adjusters - State of Connecticut - 1978 - present
- BAR ADMISSIONS: State of Connecticut, 1986; State of New York, 1986; United States District Court District of Connecticut, 1989
- American Trial Lawyer’s Association Certificate of Outstanding Service Under the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund
- Connecticut Bar Association Certificate of Appreciation for Outstanding Pro Bono Service Provided to Families of the September 11th Terrorist Attacks
- Policyholder Insurance
Last Updated: 7/21/2022