Paul H. McConnell
Top Rated Family Law Attorney in New Canaan, CT
Paul H. McConnell is the founder of the McConnell Family Law Group with offices in New Canaan, Hartford, New Haven, and Old Lyme, Connecticut.
Connecticut Divorce Mediator and Family Law Attorney Paul McConnell is a former Judge, Marine Corps infantry officer, and federal prosecutor with extensive grand jury, trial, and appellate experience. Paul was educated in mediation and jurisprudence by the National Judicial College in Reno, Nevada and by the Connecticut Council for Non-adversarial Divorce (CCND). He is a highly skilled mediator, trial lawyer, advocate, and negotiator. He has been the lead counsel or presiding judge in hundreds of matters including over 55 jury trials. Following 18 years of public service, Paul started his own firm in 2014 to focus on one thing: representing individuals with passion and purpose. Presently, Paul limits his practice to divorce and matrimonial law while occasionally accepting federal criminal defense matters and/or prospective claims under the Federal Tort Claim Act.
Throughout his career, Paul has developed a reputation as being a “go-to guy” for challenging, high profile casesBefore becoming a federal prosecutor, Paul served on active duty for 14 years as a United States Marine officer. He held a variety of assignments, including infantry officer, defense counsel, claims attorney, prosecutor, a trial judge, circuit judge, and deputy chief trial judge. Paul served combat tours as a rifle platoon commander during the first Gulf War and as an operations officer in Afghanistan from 2010-2011. In 2008, as a reserve officer, he led a delegation to Baghdad, Iraq to present a two-week ministerial level, anti-corruption program. His decorations include the Meritorious Service Medal (Fourth award), the Navy Commendation Medal, the Navy Achievement Medal (w/ Combat “V”), and the Combat Action Ribbon. In addition, Paul was awarded the District of Connecticut’s coveted “Standing Tall” award in 2012 and the U.S. Attorney General's Director's Cup award in 2019.
Mr. McConnell has litigated cases in nine different states and four nations. He is involved in strategically planning for nearly all cases in his firm.
About Paul H. McConnell
First Admitted: 1996, Pennsylvania
Professional Webpage: https://www.mcconnellfamilylaw.com/attorney-paul-mcconnell/
- First admitted to Pennsylvania Bar in 1996 and remain a member in good standing, 1996
- Gave presentation on "Divorce Considerations for Military Servicemembers and Veterans" to the Connecticut Council for Non-Adversarial Divorce., 2021
- U.S. District Court (Eastern District of Pennsylvania)
- U.S. District Court (District of Connecticut)
- U.S Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
- U.S Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Member of the Connecticut Bar Association (Family Law Section; Military and Veterans Section; and Federal Bar Section). Regularly attend and participate in each of the three aforementioned sections on a near monthly basis, 2021
- Was granted a post-graduate LLM in Military Law from the Army Judge Advocate General School, Charlottesville, VA. Also, awarded a certificate of General Studies from the National Judicial College in Reno, NV. In addition, completed separate 40-hour training in mediation and collaborative divorce provided by the Connecticut Council for Non-Adversarial Divorce, 2005
- National Judicial College, Reno, NV, Certificate in General Jurisprudence, 2008
- Wittenberg University, Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Economics
- Connecticut Council for Non-Adversarial Divorce, Awarded Certificate for Mediation Training and Collaborative Law
Last Updated: 5/15/2022