Top Rated Family Law Attorney in New Haven, CT
Verna Lilburn is the principal attorney at Lilburn Law in New Haven, Connecticut. Ms. Lilburn devotes her practice to family law, particularly divorce and child custody matters, both pre and post judgment, as well as domestic violence in relation to family law. She represents clients in New Haven county, Fairfield county, and Middlesex, Hartford, and New London counties.
Ms. Lilburn has over 25 years of legal experience. Prior to becoming a practicing attorney, she worked as a teacher and spent over 10 years as a reading consultant for middle school and high school students in the New York City area. After embarking on her legal career, she continued to draw on her teaching experience by serving as an adjunct instructor in the legal studies program at the University of New Haven. She continues to sit on the program’s advisory board.
Active in the Connecticut legal community, Ms. Lilburn is a member of the New Haven County Bar Association Family Law Committee and sits on the Executive Committee of the Connecticut Bar Association’s Family Law Section. She also belongs to the Connecticut Bar Association’s Alternate Dispute Resolution Section. She is the author of articles published in the Quinnipiac Probate Law Journal and other publications.
Ms. Lilburn earned a bachelor’s degree in education from St. John’s University and obtained a master’s degree in psychology from Columbia University. She received her law degree from Quinnipiac University School of Law. She also holds a certificate of advanced study from Fairfield University. She holds a license to practice law before all Connecticut state courts and the U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut.
About Verna Lilburn
First Admitted: 1991, Connecticut
Professional Webpage: https://www.lilburnlaw.com/attorney/lilburn-verna-b/
- Author: Note, "Abandonment as a Ground for the Termination of Parental Rights", 1989
- Author: Comment, Michaud v. Wawruck, 209 Conn. 407 (1988), Volume 5, No. 1, 1989, 1988
- Outstanding Legal Scholarship Award, Quinnipiac University, 1990
- NDEA Grant: Studied High School Reading at Notre Dame de Namur University, NDEA Grant to study high school reading , U.S. Dept. of Education, 1968
- Labor Education Center and Quinnipiac Dispute Resolution, 40 Hour Mediation Certificate Course, 2003
- Quinnipiac College School of Law, Interdisciplinary Certificate Program for Divorce Lawyers, 1998
- Fairfield University, Certificate of Advanced Study, 1986
- Columbia University, M.A., Psychology, 1967
- St. John's University, B.S., Education, 1965
Pro bono/Community Service
- University of New Haven - Legal Studies Advisory Board, 2005 to Present, 2020
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Super Lawyers, 2020
- Lawyers of Distinction, 2017
- Lawyers of Distinction, 2019
- Lawyers of Distinction, 2020
- Lawyers of Distinction, 2018
- New Haven County Bar Association, Member, Family Law Section, 1992 to Present, 2021
- CT Bar Association Professional Discipline Section, Member, 1991 to 2020, 2021
- CT Bar Association Family Law Section, Executive Committee, 2011 to Present, 2021
- Connecticut Bar Association, Member, Family Law Section, 1992 to Present, 2021
- Connecticut Bar Association Alternate Dispute Resolution section , 2021
Last Updated: 5/15/2022