Top rated personal injury attorney in Southington, ConnecticutSheffy, Mazzaccaro, DePaolo & DeNigris, L.L.P.
As founding partner of Sheffy, Mazzaccaro, DePaolo & DeNigris, L.L.P., Anthony Alan Sheffy is an experienced personal injury attorney who focuses on helping those who have suffered trauma to the brain and other life altering injuries caused by the negligence of a person or corporation. Mr. Sheffy represents clients in the greater Hartford, New Haven and Southington areas. A Fellow of the American Bar Association, the Litigation Counsel of America has inducted him into the Order of Justitia, and he has been designated as a Top 100 Lawyer in America. He has been honored by induction into the National Trial Lawyers Top 100. For his high ethical standards and long list of successful results, he holds the highest peer rating possible of AV Preeminent* from Martindale-Hubbell. Mr. Sheffy has also been featured by the Meriden Record Journal in their annual "Reader's Choice Best Of" poll for best personal injury lawyer in Central Connecticut (2022).
In 1985, Mr. Sheffy graduated from Lebanon Valley College where he earned a Bachelor of Science in combined music and physics. At Western New England University School of Law, he graduated magna cum laude in 1988 and earned his Juris Doctor. While in law school, he was a member of the law review and was admitted to practice in the state of Connecticut soon after graduation. He is also pro hac vice in the state of Rhode Island and admitted to practice for the United States District Court for the District of Connecticut.
Along with individual personal injury cases, Mr. Sheffy provides insurance defense and commercial litigation. He is a member of the Connecticut Bar Association and the American Bar Association and is well known for his service to his community.
A former president of the Southington United Way, Mr. Sheffy is founding director of the Southington Education Foundation, Inc. He is serving on the Southington YMCA board of directors as vice-president. He was also named the Man of the Year by the Southington YMCA, is the Charter Oak State College Foundation’s director and is founding trustee of Southington Education Foundation’s Virtual STEM University.
* AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasPersonal injury - general: plaintiff, Civil litigation: plaintiff, Civil rights, Insurance coverage, Workers' compensation: claimant
Animal bites, Assault, Motor vehicle accidents, Personal injury - plaintiff, Slip and fall, Wrongful death, Dram shop laws, Construction accident, Brain injury, Sexual abuse - plaintiff, Toxic mold, Trucking accidents, Premises liability - plaintiff, Police misconduct, Insurance, Bad faith insurance
First Admitted: 1988, Connecticut
Professional Webpage: https://www.sheffylaw.com/attorneys/anthony-a-sheffy/
- BS in Physics/Music Lebanon Valley College, Annville, PA 17038, 1985
- Voted Best Personal Injury Attorney in the Southington Citizen, 2019
- Person of the Year Southington Connecticut YMCA Person of the Year, 2012
- One Million Dollar Sale of Printing Business - Represented Seller, 2020
- Advanced Strategies and Solutions for Negotiating Personal Injury Settlements, Speaker, Negotiating Personal Injury Claims, National Business Institute, 2020
- Lecturer and presenter on Advanced Trial Tactics and the Top 7 Evidence Mistakes to Avoid, Presenter/Panelist, NBI, Continuing Legal Education, 2019
- Traumatic Brain Injury Cases: Doctor and Attorney PerspectivesApply Anatomy of Brain Injuries to Advanced Litigation Skills, Presenter/Panelist, NBI, 2018
- Attorney Sheffy recently presented a two day seminar for the National Business Institute on Advanced Trial Skills. This seminar was recorded and is available for viewing through NBI., Presenter/Panelist, 2014
- Two time presenter NBI National Webinar: Defending Brain Injury Cases; Moderator for the Connecticut Judicial Panel Seminar; Frequent NBI presentations concerning the practice of trial law.
- Successful Mediation against an insurance agency: failure to explain underinsured motorist benefits., 2020
- $1M dollar settlement against delivery service company where the driver crossed the fog line and allowed the mirror of her vehicle to strike our client in the face resulting in severe scarring and a TBI., 2022
- Successful Mediation in tractor-trailer truck accident resulting in lumbar fusion surgery., 2020
- $200,000 Settlement of pit bull dog bite where the client suffered a traumatic amputation of tip of ring finger , 2020
- Successful recovery against a municipality based on the conduct of an off-duty officer allowing a known intoxicated individual to operate a motor vehicle resulting in wrongful death., 2019
- $500,000 settlement on behalf of a client who slipped and fell that resulted in spinal cord swelling causing paralysis., 2019
- Representation of Liquor Store in claim that a minor purchased alcohol and later caused an accident. Minor was also sued as driver of the car that injured third party. Successful resolution., 2019
- $525,000 motorcycle accident involving passing on the right by our client who suffered the loss of his left eye., 2018
- $300,000 Dog Bite: 14 year old girl who suffered scarring including loss of an embrown after being bitten by a neighbor's dog. The case settled for the homeowners' policy limits., 2017
- $300,000 Settlement: Low impact rear-end collision resulting in lumbar surgery., 2016
- $225,000 settlement: In this two car collision, the client suffered a fractured foot requiring surgical repair. The defense maintained that our client suffered only two fractured toes and that surgery was unnecessary. We established that the complicated foot surgery that the client underwent following the accident was casually related., 2015
- Summary Judgment Based on Recreational Immunity: In this insurance defense matter we obtained summary judgment based on the doctrine of recreational immunity. The plaintiff claimed to have been injured while riding his dirt bike on our client's property. Our client held the property open free of charge for individuals who wished to use the property to ride. Connecticut provides limited immunity to promote recreational activities. Summary Judgement granted after brief and argument., 2015
- 1M Dollar Settlement in a medical malpractice wrongful death claim arising out of the failure to diagnosis the symptoms preceding an imminent heart attack which lead to the sudden death of the client.
- 1.5 Million Dollar Wrongful Death Settlement in RI District Court arising out of the death of an individual struck and killed in a crosswalk in Newport RI
- $250,000 settlement in a motor vehicle accident matter involving neck and back injuries
- $275,000 medical malpractice settlement arising out of surgical mistake following diverticulitis surgery
- Presentation at seminar "How to lay a foundation to get your evidence introduced." Providing the opportunity through NBI for members of the CT Bar to obtain CLE credits., 2021
- Presentation at seminar "How to get your social media evidence in." Seminar hosted by NBI., 2022
- Presentation at Connecticut Litigation Boot Camp Seminar. Hosted by NBI for follow members of the bar to obtain CLE credits., 2021
- Negotiating Personal Injury Claims. Live Seminar for the National Business Institute., 2020
- Seminar Presentations on Litigating Traumatic Brain Injury Cases and on Advanced Trial Practice., 2019
- The Fellows comprise a global honorary society of attorneys, judges, law faculty, and legal scholars whose public and private careers have demonstrated outstanding dedication to the highest principles of the legal profession and to the welfare of their communities. Membership in the Fellows is limited to one percent of lawyers licensed to practice in each jurisdiction. Fellows are recommended by their peers and elected by the Board of the American Bar Foundation., 2017
- The Connecticut Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Retained to Represent Lloyds London in certain coverage matters., 2021
- Retained as Defense Counsel by major homeowner's insuer to defend insurer on claims involving crumbling foundatons., 2019
- Insurance Defense Clients include Omni Insurance; Certain Underwriters at Lloyd's of London; People's Choice Pizza Franchise;, 2018
- Voted Best Personal Injury Attorney in Southington by the readers of the Meriden Record Journal., Best of Southington- Personal Injury Attorney, Record Journal Newspaper, 2022
- Voted Best Personal Injury attorney in South Central Connecticut by Readers of the Meriden Record Journal., Best Personal Injury Attorney South Central Connecticut, Record Journal, 2022
- Providing Pro-Bono Advice and Counsel to the Southington-Cheshire YMCA, Director and Officer, Southington-Cheshire Connecticut YMCA, 2021
- Presently serving on the executive committee on the Charter Oak College Foundation., Executive Board Member, Charter Oak College Foundaton
- Chamber of Commerce Chairman's Award, Chairman's Award, Southington Observer, 2021
- Awarded to an individual or organization for outstanding support of Brain Injury Alliance of Connecticut events and promotion of brain injury awareness and prevention., Partnership Award, Brain Injury Alliance of Connecticut, 2018
- The Fellows is an honorary organization of attorneys, judges, law faculty, and legal scholars whose public and private careers have demonstrated outstanding dedication to the welfare of their communities and to the highest principles of the legal profession. Membership in the Fellows is limited to one percent of lawyers licensed to practice in each jurisdiction. Members are nominated by their peers and elected by the Board of the American Bar Foundation., Fellow, American Bar Foundation Nominee, 2018
- CT ABC/EIC Industry Vision Award, Industry Vision Award, CT ABC/EIC, 2018
- The American Society of Legal Advocates, ASLA, is an invitation-only, nationwide organization of elite lawyers in practice today. ASLA draws its membership from lawyers who combine stellar legal credentials with a proven commitment to community engagement and the highest professional standards. ASLA limits its membership to less than 1.5% of all licensed lawyers nationwide., Named to Top 100 Lawyers in Connecticut, 2016
- Connecticut Super Lawyers, 2011
- Selected as a Sr. Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America (LCA), Sr. Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America, 2007
- Magna Cum Laude Western New England School of Law (1988); Law Review, Western New England College, 1988
- Order of Justitia by the Litigation Counsel of America
- AV* rating from Martindale Hubbell
- A.M. Best Directory of Recommended Insurance Defense Attorneys
- Life Member of the Million Dollar Advocate Forum
- Appointed the Connecticut District Court to represent an incarcerated individual in a claim for necessary dental services., 2022
- Director and officer serving on the Charter Oak University Foundation., 2021
- Director and Vice-President of the Southington-Cheshire YMCA, serving as adjunct legal counsel and risk management., 2021
- Past Chairman of the Southington Chamber of Commerce; present legal advisor., 2019
- Founding Director of the Southington Education Foundation, 2011
- Founding Trustee of Southington Virtual STEM University, 2009
- Past president of the Southington United Way
- Southington YMCA Man of the Year; present board member.
- Formation of Numerous Non-Profit Charitable IRS 501(c)(3) corporations on behalf of local organizations.
- Major Domestic Property and Casualty Insurers; Brain Injury Alliance Of Connecticut
Office location for Anthony Sheffy
166 North Main Street
Southington, CT 06489
- Super Lawyers: 2011 - 2022