Lewis H. Chimes
Top Rated Employment & Labor Attorney in Stamford, CT
Attorney Lewis H. Chimes is the founder and owner of the Law Office of Lewis Chimes LLC in Stamford, Connecticut. Serving a diverse range of clients throughout Fairfield County and all across the state, Mr. Chimes provides exceptional representation to those who have suffered serious violations of their rights as workers, including discrimination, harassment and other grievances.
In addition to handling all types of employment law matters, he also delivers invaluable advocacy to clients dealing with personal injury claims, civil rights violations, criminal charges and general litigation matters. Regardless of his clients' needs or the complexities involved with their cases, Mr. Chimes has more than 34 years of legal experience to draw upon to increase his clients' chances of obtaining the favorable outcomes they expect and deserve efficiently and cost-effectively.
A veteran of more than 50 jury trials, Mr. Chimes has unmatched abilities in the courtroom, and he has extensive experience handling mediations, negotiations and arbitrations. From his efforts, he has recovered millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts for his clients, including many multimillion-dollar awards.
Honored for his outstanding professionalism and service, Mr. Chimes has earned consistent recognition from The Best Lawyers in America in the areas of labor and employment law, plaintiff employment litigation, ERISA litigation and plaintiff personal injury. He has also received the organization's Lawyer of the Year award in 2018. Moreover, U.S. News & World Report voted his practice among the Best Law Firms in the U.S. for labor and employment law, and Mr. Chimes has received numerous testimonials and referrals from his satisfied clients.
A 1982 graduate of Tufts University, Mr. Chimes obtained his Juris Doctor from Columbia Law School in 1985. Early in his legal career, he served as a prosecutor with the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office, and since 1990, he has represented the rights and interests of clients in state and federal courts across Connecticut.
A leader in his legal community, Mr. Chimes is a member of the Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association's board of governors and once served as chair of its Employment Law Committee. He is also an active and long-time member of both the National and Connecticut Employment Lawyers Associations, and he supports the Special Olympics Connecticut by serving on its board as well as the organization's legal adviser.
Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers in America© are registered trademarks of BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC. The names, logo, and database are protected under the trademark, copyright, and fair use laws of the United States of America. Any use of name, including in electronic form, must be made only by permission and under the guidelines of BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC.
- 60%Employment & Labor: Employee
- 20%Civil Rights
- 10%Criminal Defense
- 10%Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
Employment Law - Employee, Wage & Hour Laws, Whistleblower, Sexual Harassment, Americans with Disabilities Act, Police Misconduct, Race Discrimination, Disability, Discrimination, Assault, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Slip and Fall, Wrongful Death, Dram Shop Laws, Brain Injury, Sexual Abuse - Plaintiff, Trucking Accidents, Premises Liability - Plaintiff
- Super Lawyers: 2006 - 2022
About Lewis H. Chimes
First Admitted: 1985, Connecticut
Professional Webpage: https://chimeslaw.com/lewis-chimes/
Pro bono/Community Service
- Connecticut Special Olympics, Board of Directors, 2002 - 2021
- Connecticut and New England Super Lawyers, 2006 - Present
- , Lawyer of the Year Fairfield County - Employment Law , Best Lawyers , 2018
- New York Metro Super Lawyers
- Disability Rights Law Firm of the Year in Connecticut, Corporate International Global magazine, 2014
- Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar, Columbia Law School
- American Lawyer Media Top Rated Lawyer in Labor and Employment Law - Connecticut, New York Metro Area, Boston Area
- Best Lawyers in America (recognized in four categories), 2005 – present
- Martindale Hubbell Listing of AV Rated Preeminent Lawyers
- U.S. News and World Report, Best Law Firms, 2013
- Connecticut Employment Lawyers Association
- Massachusetts, 1989
- Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association, Board of Governors(2008 – present), Co-chairman of Employment Law Section (2009 – present)
- Connecticut, 1985
- New York, 1986
- Fairfield County Bar Association
- Manhattan District Attorney's Office, Former prosecutor
- National Employment Lawyers Association
- Connecticut Bar Association
- American Association of Justice
- Tufts University, B.A., Summa Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa, Political Science and Government, 1982
- Reviews noteworthy cases in Connecticut state and federal courts having an impact on employment law in 2020, Author , Developments in Labor and Employment Law in Connecticut 2020 , Connecticut Bar Journal, March/April 2021 , Employment Law, 2021
- Addresses issues presented by COVID - 19 for employees and small businesses , Speaker , COVID-19 IMPACT ON EMPLOYEES AND SMALL BUSINESSES: WHERE DO WE STAND NOW , Fairfield County Bar Association , 2020
- Addresses impact of Coronavirus on workers and small employers , Speaker , Coronavirus: What You and Your Employee and Small Business Clients Need to Know , Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association Webinar, Dated April 2, 2020 , 2020
- "Social Media and the First Amendment," Connecticut Bar Association, January 2013
- "Free Speech Rights in the Workplace," Connecticut Bar Association, October 2012
- "Effectively Taking and Defending Depositions," Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association (Seminar Co-Chair), October 2012
- "Understanding Defense Counsel's Objectives When Taking the Plaintiff's Deposition," National Employment Lawyer's Association, San Diego, CA, June 2012
- "Potential employment Causes of Action Under Connecticut Law," Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association (Seminar Co-Chair), December 2010
- "Investigating the Investigation: Employer Investigations of Harassment/Hostile Environment From the Plaintiff's Perspective," National Employment Lawyers Association, Chicago, 2005
- "Employment Law: Recent Developments in Connecticut Law," New Haven County Bar Association, 2005
- "Employment Law 2004: Recent Developments in Federal Court," New Haven County Bar Association, 2004
- "Employment Law: Developments in Connecticut Law," New Haven County Bar Association, 2003
- "Evidentiary Issues in Employment Litigation," National Employment Lawyers Association, Orlando, Fla., 2003
- Chase v. Nodine's et al, 3:18-cv-00683, (Denial of summary judgment) False arrest, denial of equal protection. Plaintiff arrested after reporting sexual assault to Canton Police Department. , 2020
- Bakhit v. Safety Markings (Race discrimination - $3.6 million verdict) largest race discrimiation verdict in Connectiuct state or federal court. , 2016
- Hardy v. Town of Greenwich, 629 F. Supp. 2d 192 (D. Conn. 2009)(Employment); Eight plaintiff pattern and pattern race discrimination claim against Greenwich Police Department; Five plaintiffs prevailed at trial.
- Miron v. Univ. of New Haven Police Dep't, 284 Conn. 35 (Conn. 2007)(Employment)
- Roberton v. Citizens Utilities, 122 F.Supp. 279 (D. Conn. 2000)(Employment - ERISA - $1,300,000 Verdict)
Last Updated: 5/15/2022