Margaret M. (Peg) Sheahan
Top Rated Employment & Labor Attorney in Stratford, CT
A partner at Mitchell & Sheahan, Attorneys at Law, Margaret M. (Peg) Sheahan heads up the firm's labor and employment law practice, and she provides representation to employees and employers alike in Fairfield and New Haven counties from the firm's office in Stratford, Connecticut. Highly regarded by her fellow attorneys for the overall quality of her work, Ms. Sheahan has received an AV Preeminent* peer review rating through Martindale-Hubbell and an "Excellent" peer review rating through Avvo. In addition, she has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America every year since 2012.
For her private and public sector employer clients, Ms. Sheahan has provided defense representation both in court and before numerous state and federal agencies. The claims that she has handled in this regard have included allegations of discrimination governed by Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act. She has also handled Family and Medical Leave Act issues, and she provides training on harassment and conducts internal investigations with respect to discrimination complaints.
Ms. Sheahan also furnishes advice and counsel to employees with respect to employment and severance agreements, and she informs them of their rights under anti-discrimination laws, sexual harassment, the Family and Medical Leave Act, and noncompete agreements.
Admitted to practice before all Connecticut and New York State courts, Ms. Sheahan is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut, the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit, and the Supreme Court of the United States. She holds a Bachelor of Arts in English magna cum laude from Fordham University and a Juris Doctor from New York University School of Law.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 50%Employment & Labor: Employer
- 50%Employment & Labor: Employee
Employment Law - Employee, Wage & Hour Laws, Whistleblower, Sexual Harassment, Labor Law
- Super Lawyers: 2006 - 2022
About Margaret M. (Peg) Sheahan
First Admitted: 1980, Connecticut
Professional Webpage: https://www.mitchellandsheahan.com/attorney/sheahan-margaret...
- Connecticut Bar Journal and on the CBA Labor and Employment Section’s Executive Committee, Labor & Employment Law subject editor
- Fairfield County Bar Association, Member
- Greater Bridgeport County Bar Association, Member
- Connecticut Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Board of Directors and Executive Committee, Bridgeport Regional Business Council
- Member of the board, The Workplace, Inc., since 2000
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut
- New York
Pro bono/Community Service
- Board of Trustees, the Stratford Library Association since 2013
- Women’s Business Development Council, Advisory and Regional Boards
- Pacific House f/k/a the Stamford Shelter for the Homeless, Advisory board
- The Best Lawyers in Employment Law – Individuals®, 2015
- Connecticut's Women in Business Champion of the Year by the U.S. Small Business Administration, 2011
- Martindale-Hubbell® Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers™, 2013
- “AV” by the Martindale-Hubbell®
- BRBC’s “Volunteer of the Year”, Twice honored
- “The 200 Outstanding Lawyers in Fairfield County”, 2016 and 2017
- The Best Lawyers® since 2012
- United States Small Business Administration's 2011 Connecticut's Women in Business Champion of the Year
- Top 25: 2018 Women Connecticut Super Lawyers List
- Connecticut Super Lawyers, 2018
- Woman of the Year by the Connecticut Labor & Employment Women, 2015
- "Top Lawyer" in Fairfield County, Moffly Media, 2010-2013
Last Updated: 5/15/2022