Mario F. Coppola
Top rated State, Local & Municipal attorney in Westport, ConnecticutBerchem Moses PC
Practice Areas: State, Local & Municipal, Civil Litigation, Land Use & Zoning
Licensed in Connecticut since: 2004
Education: University of Connecticut School of Law
Berchem Moses PC1221 Post Road East
Westport, CT 06880 Phone: 203-227-9545 Email: Mario F. Coppola Visit website
Attorney Coppola practices in the areas of municipal law, land use and zoning, property tax assessment appeals, general civil litigation and real estate transactions. He has handled hundreds of land use/zoning and tax appeal matters from the administrative level through the Connecticut courts. He has handled property tax appeals involving various types of real and personal property, including complex and specialized commercial properties, totaling billions of dollars over the years.
Attorney Coppola has been serving as Corporation Counsel for the City of Norwalk since 2013. He has also served as a Town Attorney for the Town of Trumbull from 2009 to 2013 and an Assistant Town Attorney for the Town of Westport since 2006. Attorney Coppola regularly provides legal representation and services to other municipalities, including the Towns of Easton, Madison, New Canaan, Trumbull, Weston and Wilton.
Attorney Coppola received his bachelor’s degree in Political Science from Boston College in 2001 and his Juris Doctorate Degree from the University of Connecticut School of Law in 2004. He is admitted to practice in the State of Connecticut and United States District Court.
Attorney Coppola currently serves on the board of directors of the Connecticut Association of Municipal Attorneys (CAMA). Attorney Coppola previously served as Chairman of the Connecticut Bar Association ("CBA") Planning and Zoning Section and Chairman for the Fairfield County Bar Association (FCBA) Land Use and Municipal Law Sections.
Attorney Coppola is a frequent lecturer on various land use/zoning and property valuation and tax appeals issues. He has been a featured speaker at seminars conducted by the Connecticut Bar Association, Fairfield Bar Association, American Planners Association, UConn Assessor's School, Connecticut Association of Assessing Officers and the Appraisal Institute.
The Connecticut Law Tribune listed Attorney Coppola as one its "New Leaders in The Law" in November 2012. In 2015, the Fairfield County Business Journal recognized Attorney Coppola as one of its “40 Under 40” leaders in the business community. Attorney Coppola is rated “AV Preeminent” by Martindale Hubbell, which is its highest designation. Attorney Coppola has been recognized as a top-rated State, Local & Municipal attorney by Connecticut and New England Super Lawyers since 2013 and was previously named to the 2010-2012 Connecticut and New England Super Lawyers Rising Stars lists for Land Use & Zoning.
Attorney Coppola is active in the community. He recently served as president of the Walter Camp Football Foundation, which annually selects the country’s oldest and most prestigious All-American team, and is currently a member of the organization. He also served as president of the Greater New Haven Columbus Day Committee and a commissioner on the West Haven Zoning Board of Appeals.
First Admitted: 2004, Connecticut
Professional Webpage: https://www.berchemmoses.com/attorney/coppola-mario-f/
- Highest designation, Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory AV® Preeminent™
- "Leaders of the Law" Award, Connecticut Law Tribune, 2012
- University of Connecticut School of Law Pudlin Scholar, 2004
- The National Italian American Bar Association National Scholarship Recipient , 2003
- Golden Key National Honor Society, 2001
- Walter Camp Football Foundation, Vice President
- Columbus Day Commitee, Inc., Chairman of Board of Directors
- Central Connecticut Coast YMCA (Board of Directors)
- Executive Committee Member of the Connecticut Bar Association's Planning and Zoning Section and Municipal Law and Government Services Section
- Co-Chair of the Fairfield County Bar Association's Land Use and Municipal Law Sections
- Chairman of Connecticut Bar Association Planning & Zoning Section
- Co-Chair of the Real Property and Zoning Committee of the Connecticut Bar Association's Young Lawyer's Section, 2008
- City of Norwalk and the Towns of Westport, Trumbull, New Canaan, Easton, Wilton and Weston.
- Boston College, B.A., 2001
- CBA, Speaker, "AirBnB Law: The Implications of Short-Term Rentals for Property Owners and Municipalities,", Connecticut Bar Association Annual Meeting, 2018
- Connecticut Chapter, Speaker, "Hot Topics in Land Use Law and Practice 2018", American Planning Association, 2018
- Local bar association, Speaker, “Tax Appeal Cases – Perspectives and Practice Tips from Municipal Attorney and Taxpayer’s Attorney”, Westport Bar Association , 2018
- CBA, Speaker, “Connecticut Land Use Law For Municipal Land Use Agencies, Boards And Commissions”, Connecticut Bar Association Planning And Zoning Section, 2017
- Connecticut Chapter, Speaker, “Hot Topics In Land Use Law and Practice 2017”, American Planning Association, 2017
- Connecticut, Speaker, "Connecticut Case Studies in Ad Valorem Taxation Litigation”,, Appraisal Institute, 2016
- Speaker, "Tax Appeal Cases, Perspectives and Practice Tips from Municipal Attorney", School for Connecticut Assessors and Board of Assessment Appeals, 2013
- Speaker, "Legislative Update", Connecticut Bar Association Planning & Zoning/Environmental Sections, 2013
- Speaker, "Nonconforming Uses and Variances", Fairfield County Bar Association, 2013
- Speaker, “Everything you need to know about the new bonding requirements for subdivision and site plan approvals created by Public Act 11-79”, Fairfield County Bar Association, 2012
- Speaker, “Abandonment and Discontinuance of Public Roads” , Fairfield County Bar Association, 2011
- Speaker, "Real Estate Valuation Basics and Review of Tax Assessment Appeals and Eminent Domain Procedures" , Connecticut Bar Association, 2010
- Super Lawyers: 2013 - 2023
- Rising Stars: 2010 - 2012