Joseph B. Cicero
Top Rated Business Litigation Attorney in Wilmington, DE
A highly regarded business trial lawyer and counselor, Joseph B. Cicero is a partner at Chipman Brown Cicero & Cole, LLP. From the firm’s offices in Wilmington, Delaware, he provides astute representation to clients throughout Delaware, as well as in other parts of the country.
Mr. Cicero majored in classics as an undergraduate at Franklin & Marshall College in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, receiving a Bachelor of Arts in 2000. He then pursued his legal education at Widener University School of Law in Wilmington, DE. During law school, Mr. Cicero was an editor on the Delaware Journal of Corporate Law and Wolcott Clerk for Justice Randy J. Holland on the Delaware Supreme Court before being awarded his Juris Doctor cum laude and being inducted into The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi in 2003.
Prior to joining his current firm in June 2012, Mr. Cicero was a shareholder in a global Am Law 100 firm. Throughout his career, he has handled a variety of complex trials at the state and federal levels, representing both plaintiffs and defendants. Some of Mr. Cicero’s representative cases have included breaches of fiduciary duties, shareholder derivative lawsuits, fraud, breach of contract claims, misappropriation of trade secrets, tortious interference, intellectual property infringement, commercial foreclosures and unfair competition.
Outside of the courtroom, Mr. Cicero provides Delaware corporate and alternative entity advice . Mr. Cicero has earned a “Superb” peer review rating through Avvo and several other honors. Mr. Cicero is admitted to practice before all Delaware state courts and before the U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware.
About Joseph B. Cicero
First Admitted: 2003, Delaware
Professional Webpage: https://www.chipmanbrown.com/attorney/cicero-joseph-b/
- Gilbane Building Co. and a subsidiary in multiple mechanic’s liens and breach of contract actions. Rodman Construction Co., et al. v. BPG Residential Partners, et al. (Del. Super. Ct.), Belfi Bros & Co. Inc. v. GBC Christina Landing LLC, et al. (Del. Super. Ct.), I.D. Griffith Inc. v. GBC Christina Landing LLC, et al. (Del. Super. Ct.), Kent County Painting Co. v. GBC Christina Landing LLC, et al. (Del. Super. Ct.), Kone Inc. v. BPG Residential Partners LLC, et al. (Del. Super. Ct.), Roman Mosaic & Tile Co. Inc v. GBC Christina Landing LLC, et al. (Del. Super. Ct.), Star Building Services v. Gilbane Building Co., et al. (Del. Super. Ct.), Dan Lepore & Sons Co. v. BPG Residential Partners V, LLC, et al. (Del. Super. Ct.)
- M&T Bank in litigation in connection with erroneously filed satisfaction of mortgage of commercial real estate. Manufacturers and Traders Trust Co. v. Washington House Partners, LLC (Del. Super. Ct.)
- The Provident Bank in multiple commercial mortgage foreclosure actions. The Provident Bank v. Meridian Crossing Funding Co. Inc., et al. (Del. Super. Ct.), The Provident Bank v. Village of Brandywine Funding Company, Inc., et al. (Del. Super. Ct.)
- Delaware counsel in intellectual property litigation. Ubicomm, LLC v. Bulbs.com Incorporated (D. Del.), In re Cyclobenzaprine Hydrochloride Extended-Release Capsule Patent Litigation (D. Del.), Ethypharm SA France, et al. v. Bentley Pharm. (D. Del.), Friedson v. Abbott Laboratories, et al. (D. Del.), Anesta AG, et al. v. Mylan Pharmaceuticals, Inc., et al. (D. Del.), Graphics Properties Holdings, Inc. v. LG Electronics, Inc., et al. (D. Del.), Minkus Electronic Display Systems, Inc. v. Premier Retail Networks, Inc., et al. (D. Del.)
- WMI Liquidating Trust in litigation in connection with insurance coverage of former directors and officers of Washington Mutual Inc. WMI Liquidating Trust v. XL Specialty Insurance Company, et al. (Del. Super. Ct.)
- Fixed Income Depository Advisory Company in finder’s fee litigation. Underhill Investment Corporation, et al. v. Fixed Income Depository Advisory Company (D. Del.)
- Bemax Sales Pty Ltd. and Bemax Resources Limited in litigation of injunctive relief, declaratory judgment, breach of contract, tortious interference, and unfair competition in connection with a supply agreement. E.I. DuPont de Nemours and Company v. Bemax Sales Pty Ltd., et al. (D. Del.)
- i3screen LLC in litigation of breach of contract claim and request for injunctive relief regarding misuse of confidential information. First Advantage Occupational Health Services Corp. v. i3screen LLC (D. Del.)
- Coface North America Inc. in litigation against the former officer for misappropriation of trade secrets and breach of non-competition and non-solicitation agreements. Coface North America Inc. v. Newton. (D. Del.)
- Cobalt Operating, LLC in litigation of fraud and breach of contract claims in connection with a $70 million purchase of a South Florida radio station. Cobalt Operating, LLC v. James Crystal Enterprises, LLC.
- Former stockholder of Preferred Medicare Choice, Inc. in litigation for breach of a non-competition agreement with Aveta Inc. executed in connection with a stock purchase agreement. Aveta Inc., et al. v. Colon.
- Global investment funds in statutory appraisal action pursuant to Section 262 of the General Corporation Law of Delaware to value their holdings in Golden Telecom Inc. Global GT L.P., et al. v. Golden Telecom Inc.
- Axcelis Technologies, Inc. and its board of directors in litigation challenging board of directors’ decision to reject resignations of directors tendered pursuant to “Pfizer-style” majority voting policy. City of Westland Police & Fire Retirement System v. Axcelis Technologies, Inc.
- Remy International and its board of directors in stockholder class action challenging the sufficiency of the disclosures made in connection with a stockholder consent solicitation regarding a proposed rights offering. JB Capital Partners LP v. Remy International Inc., et al.
- Wideawake Death Row Entertainment, LLC in books and records action pursuant to Section 18-305 of the Delaware Limited Liability Company Act. Lavi v. Wideawake Deathrow Entertainment, LLC.
- Stockholders in statutory appraisal action pursuant to Section 262 of the General Corporation law of Delaware to value their stockholdings of a national food service company following its recapitalization. Tate, et al. v. Restaurant Technologies Inc.
- Applica Incorporated in litigation of breach of contract, fraud and breaches of fiduciary duty claims in connection with failed acquisition by NACCO Industries. NACCO Industries, Inc. et al. v. Applica Incorporated, et al.
- Kona Grill and its board of directors in books and records litigation pursuant to Section 220 of the General Corporation Law of Delaware and corresponding derivative litigation challenging certain corporate transactions. Beren v. Kona Grill Inc., Beren v. Jundt, et al.
- Generation Capital Partners II LP in litigation of earn-out dispute regarding the sale of a national medical and allied health-related career training portfolio company. Generation Capital Partners II LP v. Education Affiliates Inc.
- L.O.M. Medical International Inc. and its board of directors in litigation pursuant to Section 223 of the General Corporation Law of Delaware requesting election of directors to fill vacancies on the board. Canmore Consultants, Ltd., et al. v. L.O.M. Medical International Inc.
- Interclick, Inc. and its board of directors in stockholder class actions challenging the fairness of a negotiated tender offer resulting in the company’s merger with Yahoo! Inc. In re Interclick, Inc. Shareholders Litigation.
- Florida Gaming Corporation and its board of directors in breach of fiduciary duty litigation challenging the fairness of a proposed asset sale to Silvermark, LLC. Silverberg v. Collett, et al.
- Founding stockholders of ZettaCore, Inc. in breach of fiduciary duty litigation challenging the fairness of dissolution and squeeze-out of common stockholders. Lindsey, et al. v. ZettaCore, Inc., et al.
- Israel Discount Bank of New York in litigation in connection with the conversion of approximately $17 million of collateral and breach of bailment agreement. Israel Discount Bank of New York v. First State Depository Company, et al.
- Listed, Rising Star: Delaware Super Lawyers, 2013-2018
- Federal Civil Panel, U.S. District Court, District of Delaware
- Guardian Ad Litem, Delaware Office of Child Advocate
- Delaware State Bar Association
- St. Thomas More Society
- Richard S. Rodney Inn of Court
- Federal Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- U.S. District Court for District of Delaware
- B.A., Franklin & Marshall College
Last Updated: 9/23/2022