Jeffrey R. Sonn
Top rated securities litigation attorney in Aventura, FloridaSonn Law Group
Practice Areas: Securities litigation, Class action & mass torts, Business litigation; view more
Licensed in Florida since: 1988
Education: University of Miami School of Law
Sonn Law Group19495 Biscayne Blvd.
Aventura, FL 33180 Visit website
Attorney Jeffrey R. Sonn of Sonn Law Group in Miami, Florida, practices in the areas of securities arbitration and litigation, class actions, personal injury and business litigation. Mr. Sonn represents investors not only in South Florida (Miami, Boca Raton, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach) but nationwide, South America and Central America.
Mr. Sonn has been recognized by SuperLawyers; the National Trial Lawyers "Top 100" Civil Lawyers in the State of Florida; Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum for attorneys who have achieved Multi-Million dollar verdicts or settlements; the Distinguished Justice Adovocates forum and is rated AV Preeminent*, the highest possible rating, by the peer review organization Martindale-Hubbell.
Mr Sonn has achieved significant results for his clients, including an $11.2 million dollar verdict in a securities arbitration; a $16 million verdict in a complex business matter in federal court; served on the national steering committee that obtained a $70 million dollar settlement in a mass securities fraud action involving a Ponzi scheme and obtained a $50 million judgment in a Ponzi scheme against its promoters. Mr. Sonn has been featured as legal correspondent for the CNBC show "On the Money" and many other television networks as a legal expert in securitie fraud. His other media experience includes serving as a contributing expert on the Bernard Madoff Ponzi scheme documentary and in the show American Greed on CNBC.
Along with his media appearances, Mr. Sonn has authored articles for groups including the Practising Law Institute and the Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association. He also serves as director of the Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association.
After graduating from the University of Florida in 1984, Mr. Sonn obtained his law degree from the University of Miami School of Law in 1988 where he was an Associate Editor of the InterAmerican Law Review. He has been licensed to practice law in the State of Florida since 1988 and is also admitted to appear before the U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Middle Districts of Florida as well as the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit.
Outside of his law practice, Mr. Sonn volunteers his time as a Director of the Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association (PIABA) to teach at the Miami Police College or lecture at the University of Miami Securities Law Clinic. He has also served as a volunteer for the Camillus House in Miami.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasSecurities litigation, Class action/mass torts: plaintiff, Business litigation
First Admitted: 1988, Florida
Professional Webpage: https://www.sonnlaw.com/attorneys/jeffrey-r-sonn/
- , What Investors Need to Know About Non-Traded REITs
- , Is FINRA Fair to Investors?
- , What Investors Need to Know About Promissory Notes
- , What Should Investors Do If They Believe They Are a Victim of Investment Abuse?
- , What Investors Need to Know About Private Placements
- , What Tactics Do Advisors Use to Discourage Investors from Filing Complaints?
- , What Legal Duties Do Financial Advisors Owe Their Customers?
- , How Can Investors Protect Against Broker Fraud or Misconduct?
- Appearance on CNBC, debating nationalization of banks, as a Wall Street fraud expert for CNBC show, "On the Money"., CNBC's "On the Money", 2009
- Regas vs. Painewebber, NASD Case No.93-02503, 1996 WL 1353684, One of the largest arbitration awards at the NASD, Jeff Sonn was the lead trial lawyer where his client won a $2.2 million dollar verdict against Painewebber.The case was covered in the book "Who's Who and What's What on Wall Street" Published by Ballantine Books, 1998
- Univ. of Miami, 1988
- B.A., University of Florida, 1984
- Antonio Brown, former NFL Player, 2018
- $3,600,000 for a group of investors in a mismanaged bond account and allegations of theft and forgery, 2019
- $737,500 settlement for investors in business litigation in state court alleging bad faith against an insurance company following an award of over $2 million and the insolvency of the insured., 2020
- $1,800.000 for three investors in Puerto Rico Bonds and Bond Funds, 2020
- $6,100,000 recovery for an investor in a leveraged securities account that was mismanaged., 2022
- $12,100,000 recovery for an investor in a mismanaged discretionary account involving leveraged securities., 2022
- $4,150,000 million recovery for an institutional investor in Puerto Rico Bonds and Bond Funds, 2022
- $54 million settlement in class action case for aiding and abetting fraud, In re: Woodbridge Investments Litigation, served on Plaintiff's executive committee., 2022
- $2,000,000 settlement for a group of investors in a Ponzi scheme., 2020
- $4 million verdict, Lacey Winston Keath vs. JP Morgan Securities, 2022
- $1.6 million settlement in an elder abuse case., 2020
- $4.1 million in settlements in a securities fraud case for a group of investors., 2019
- $2,000,000 recovery for an unsophisticated investor in Puerto Rico Bonds and Bond Funds, 2019
- $3.2 million settlement for investors in a ponzi scheme., 2019
- $2,875,000 settlement for investors in a ponzi scheme., 2019
- $1,912,500 class action settlement in a Ponzi Scheme, 2019
- $159,000 verdict in arbitration for an investor alleging securities fraud. a 100% recovery., 2019
- Verdict, $300,000 Verdict for an investor in Puerto Rico closed end bond funds., 2018
- $50 Million Judgement against Ponzi Scheme Operators Katz v. MRT Holdings, LLC ., et al. , 07-cv-61438 (S.D. Fla.).
- $1,395,000.00 recovery in a federal court action against a public company in a securities contract action
- Regas v. Painewebber (a $2.2 million dollar verdict)
- $900,000.00 recovery for a group of investors in a purported guaranteed-investment scheme
- $525.000.00 recovery for a retired construction supervisor for failure to protect a large stock position and annuity fraud
- $850,000 recovery in a securities fraud case
- $450,000.00 for a investor in a churning case
- $3,900,000.00 recovery for a retiree in a securities fraud case
- $420,000.00 recovery for an investor in an options trading case
- $16,000,000.00 verdict on appeal in a contract/securities action
- $600,000.00 recovery in an arbitration action alleging fraud
- $2,000,000.00 recovery for a hedge fund in a institutional fund mismanagement case
- First Union vs. the FDIC and Hollywood Associates (a $16 million dollar verdict)
- $900,000.00 recovery in a securities fraud case
- $525,000.00 recovery for a clothing manufacturer in an abuse of margin case
- $850,000.00 recovery following an NASD arbitration trial in an options case
- $475,000.00 recovery for a retired college professor in a options fraud case
- $50,000,000 settlement in a Ponzi scheme
- $425,000.00 recovery for a brain injured client in a financial suicide case
- $5,700,000.00 recovery in a securities fraud case
- $650,000.00 recovery in a securities case alleging negligent financial advice for a disabled physician/retiree
- $400,000.00 recovery for an NFL star in an annuity fraud case
- $2,206,000.00 verdict in an NASD arbitration case for a retiree
- $575,000.00 recovery in an insurance contract bad faith case for an NFL star
- $1,250,000.00 recovery in a securities fraud case
- Tartell v. Krieger Financial ($1.7 million dollar verdict)
- $850,000.00 NASD arbitration verdict against Morgan Stanley, including $250,000.00 in punitive damages, where the net out of pocket losses were $370,000.00
- $525,000.00 recovery for a retired ditch digger for failure to protect a large stock position and annuity fraud
- $70,000,000 Settlement, Medical Capital Securities Litigation. Mr. Sonn was a member of a three lawyer steering committee that successfully negotiated a $70 Million settlement for investors who were the victims of the Medical Capital Ponzi Scheme. The settlement was approved by a federal court in Dallas in September, 2011
- $750,000.00 recovery for an investor in a restricted stock dispute
- $430,000.00 recovery for a grocery store owner in an excessive stock trading (churning) case
- $11.1 million verdict in a securities fraud case, 2013
- $750,000.00 recovery for a former MTV personality in an accident case
- $415,000.00 verdict in an NASD arbitration where the client lost just $109,000
- $3.1 million recovery in a fraud case
- $590,000.00 recovery for a retiree in an stock analyst fraud case
- Review of recent Ethics decisions., Moderator, Speaker, Author, Ethics in Arbitration, Public Investors Advocate Bar Association, 2019
- Associate Editor, University of Miami InterAmerican Law Review
- 2008 "An Overview of Ponzi Schemes"
- 2007, "The ABC's of Mortgage Backed Securities"
- 2006 "Group Arbitration Techniques"
- 2003 "Survey of Arbitrator Misconduct"
- 2001 "How CPA's Can Detect Stockbroker Fraud (Part I)"
- 2002 " How CPA's Can Detect Stockbroker fraud (Part II)"
- Author, Best Practices In A Final Hearing, piaba.org, 2016
- Author, Vacating Arbitration Awards, Still a Tough Prospect, PIABA.org, 2012
- Author, Elder Abuse Issues and the Securities Industry, 2013
- Author, Ten Mistakes to Avoid in an Arbitration Hearing, PIABA.ORG, 2014
- Moderated a seminar on Ethics in Arbitration, including issues on conflicts of interest, a lawyer serving as a witness, aggregate settlements, and other ethical issues arising in arbitration., Moderator, Ethics in Arbitration, PIABA.org, 2017
- Author, Ethics in Arbitration, PIABA.org, 2017
- Lecturer, Miami Police College "How to Choose a Financial Advisor"
- The Broker Went Bankrupt-Now What?, PIABA
- The ABCs of Mortgage Backed Securities, PIABA
- Group Arbitration Techniques, PIABA
- How CPAs Can Detect Securities Fraud, PIABA
- Survey of Arbitrator Misconduct, PIABA
- , AV Rating, Martindale Hubbel, Martindale Hubbel, 2020
- , Superlawyers, Superlawyers, 2019
- , Superlawyers, Superlawyers, 2018
- Multi Million Dollar Advocates Forum, 2017
- Florida Super Lawyers 2017 - Present
- Special Counsel to the Securities and Exchange Commission, Receiver Michael Goldberg, 2008
- Distinguished Justice Advocates Forum, 2017
- Top 100 Civil Lawyer, National Trial Lawyers, 2017
- AV rated by Martindale Hubbell
- Executive Committee, Public Investors Advocate Bar Association, 2020
- ABA Securities Litigation Committee, 2022
- Director, Public Investors Advocate Bar Association
- Director, Public Investors Advocate Bar Association, 2022
- Annual Meeting Committee, Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association, 2020
- Amicus Committee, Public Investors Advocate Bar Association, 2020
- Director, Public Investors Advocate Bar Committee, 2019
- Arbitration Committee, Public Investors Advocate Bar Association., 2019
- Director, Public Investors Arbitrator Bar Association, 2018
- Boca Raton Chapter of the University of Miami Citizens Advisory Board, Former Director
- Secretary, Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association, 2011
- AIPAC, Former Member
- Public Investors Arbitrator Bar Association, Chair, Subcommittee on Dodd Frank Law, Product Issues In Arbitration
- Public Investors Arbitrator Bar Association, Former Member, Technology Committee
- Director, Public Investors Advocate Bar Association, 2021
- Advisory Board, Magen David Adom, Blood Bank and First Responders, 2022
- Director, Public Investors Advocate Bar Associatoin, 2022
- Advisory Board, Magen David Adom, Blook Bank, 2021
- Magen David Adom, Israel Blood Bank, member of local board., 2020
- Volunteer, Miami Midnight Basketball League
- Volunteer, National Psoraisis Foundation
- Volunteer Foster Pet Care, NMB National Humane Society
- Volunteer, Department of Transportation Family Driving Program
- Tiger Team fundraising, Volunteer
- University of Miami Citizens, Advisory Board
- Volunteer, WNMB, North Miami Beach High School TV Station
- PIABA Foundation volunteer for public service videos on financial fraud awareness for investors., 2017
- Volunteer, VA Boone Middle School
- Executive Vice President, Beth Torah Adath Yeshuran
- Director, Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association
- Instructor on Financial Fraud at the Miami Police College., 2016
- Camillus House for the Homeless, Volunteer
- Volunteer, Broward County Bar Association Pro Bono Project
- Volunteer, ATM High School Baseball Booster Club
- FINANCIAL ADVISOR NEGLIGENCE
- FINRA Arbitration
- Investment Fraud
Office location for Jeffrey R. Sonn
19495 Biscayne Blvd.
Aventura, FL 33180
- Super Lawyers: 2017 - 2023
Additional sources of information about Jeffrey R. Sonn
Find me online
- Sonn Law Group Investigating Claims for #FTX Customers #FTXCRASH https://t.co/Jy3pYLpWA9
- Sonn Law Group Investigating #BlockFi for Freezing Withdrawals https://t.co/Hf3PB8WvzX
- Did you invest 💵 with #RobertMueller of #deeprootfunds? @SECGov has alleged that this is a $58M #PonziScheme. We… https://t.co/zjAEvLDMzF