Adam M. Balkan
Top rated Personal Injury attorney in Boca Raton, FloridaBalkan Patterson & Charbonnet
Practice Areas: Personal Injury, Products Liability, Business Litigation; view more
Licensed in Florida since: 1995
Education: Nova Southeastern University Shepard Broad College of Law
Balkan Patterson & Charbonnet1877 South Federal Highway
Boca Raton, FL 33432 Visit website
Adam M. Balkan is a partner at Balkan Patterson & Charbonnet located in Boca Raton, Florida. With over 27 years of experience practicing law, he represents clients with issues involving personal injury, insurance bad faith, auto accidents, product liability, commercial litigation, insurance litigation and medical malpractice, and he also takes on class actions. He is board-certified as a civil trial attorney by The Florida Bar.
Mr. Balkan provides zealous and dedicated representation to all his clients. Previously having represented insurance companies, he currently focuses his practice on helping consumers, insurance policyholders and individuals harmed through negligent or intentional incidents. Mr. Balkan fights aggressively for his clients’ rights as he is well aware of the negative consequences of being injured due to someone else’s carelessness, through no fault of one’s own.
With a Bachelor of Arts degree from the Western New England College, Mr. Balkan earned his Juris Doctor from the Nova Southeastern University. He is admitted to practice in Florida, New York, the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals and the U.S. District Courts for the Southern District of Florida and the Middle District of Florida.
Actively affiliated with several prominent legal associations, Mr. Balkan is a member of Florida Legal Elite, The National Trial Lawyers, the American Association for Justice, the American Bar Association, the Greater Boca Raton Chamber of Commerce, the Broward County Bar Association, the Florida Justice Association, the Palm Beach County Bar Association and The South Palm Beach County Bar Association.
In honor of the exceptional legal services he delivers, Mr. Balkan has an AV Preeminent* peer review rating by Martindale-Hubbell and has a “Superb” rating on Avvo. He has also been included in the list of Who’s Who in American Law. He is a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum because of his long record of obtaining successful million-dollar verdicts and settlements on behalf of his clients.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasPersonal Injury - General: Plaintiff, Personal Injury - Products: Plaintiff, Business Litigation, Civil Litigation: Plaintiff, Professional Liability: Plaintiff, Schools & Education
Brain Injury, Construction Accident, Dram Shop Laws, Education, Legal Malpractice, Medical Devices, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Motor Vehicle Defects, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Pharmaceutical, Premises Liability - Plaintiff, Professional Malpractice - Other, Schools, Slip and Fall, Trucking Accidents, Wrongful Death
- 40% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 20% Personal Injury - Products: Plaintiff
- 10% Business Litigation
- 10% Civil Litigation: Plaintiff
- 10% Professional Liability: Plaintiff
- 10% Schools & Education
First Admitted: 1995, Florida
Professional Webpage: https://www.balkanpatterson.com/adam-m-balkan/
- Lectured on Child Safety Issues
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell with 5 out of 5 peer review rating.
- Lifetime member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Who's Who in South Florida Law, 2011
- Youth Soccer Coach
- Board Certified Civil Trial Attorney
- Florida Bar
- New York Bar
- Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States District Court - Southern District of Florida
- United States District Court - Middle District of Florida
- Florida Justice Association
- Broward Justice Association
- Palm Beach Justice Association
- Boca Raton Chamber of Commerce
- Palm Beach County Bar Association
- South Palm Beach County Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- American Bar Association
- Harborfields High School, 1987
- Western New England University, 1991
- $803,000 Motorcycle Accident Verdict, 2022
- $4,015,000 verdict in Collier County, Florida, 2021
- $1,850,000 verdict, 2013
- $180,500 Verdict – Premises Liability This case involved an elderly man recovering from a heart attack and a worker at a dry cleaning store in Boca Raton. After an argument over the sufficiency of the cleaning of the clothes, the deliveryman took the clothes to be redone and knocked over the 75-year-old plaintiff on his way out, breaking his upper arm.
- $185,000 Settlement – Premises Liability / Negligent Security in this case, our client suffered injuries when she was attacked in the parking lot of a drug store in West Palm Beach, Florida. The assailant grabbed her purse, hit her in the face with his car door, and knocked her to her knees. He then proceeded to back up quickly to exit the parking lot, running her over in the process. The drug store had a responsibility to provide safe premises for customers, and our client was put in an unreasonable, dangerous situation as a result of the negligence of the defendant. Prior to going to trial, our attorneys settled this case for $185,000.
- Confidential Settlement, Trip and Fall The law firm of Balkan, Patterson & Charbonnet achieved a settlement for an elderly client who was severely injured after tripping and falling at the Station House Restaurant in Lantana. Then age 82, the client was dining with family when she tripped on a ramp that was shown to be in violation of code regulations and virtually hidden from view with improper carpeting. She suffered a broken elbow that required surgery and extensive rehabilitation. As a result of our case, the code regulations were amended to prevent future injury. Balkan, Patterson & Charbonnet went to trial with our client, and the defendant settled the case during trial to avoid a jury verdict.
- $750,000 Settlement – Slip and Fall The plaintiff was walking through a cafeteria with a friend for lunch when she slipped on a small puddle of grease. As a result of the accident she underwent major cervical surgery.
- $1,000,000 – Settlement, Slip and Fall Our client fell on account of debris on the floor. The fall left our client with a permanent condition, Reflex sympathetic dystrophy, also known as RSD. The case settled for $1,000,000. Additional facts of this case are confidential.
- Confidential Settlement – Abuse of Special Needs Student A behavioral analyst at a Port St. Lucie elementary school, improperly restrained and abused our client, a young special needs student. The amount of the settlement and additional details of this case are confidential
- $200,000 Settlement – Abuse of Special Needs Student The personal injury and abuse law firm of Balkan & Patterson successfully secured a settlement of $200,000 for a family whose child was physically abused by his kindergarten teacher at Gulf Elementary School in Lee County, FL. The child, whose name and age are withheld to maintain privacy, is a low functioning, non-verbal special needs student with very limited abilities to communicate. His teacher, Catherine Hile, subjected him to physical violence and abuse, and our investigation uncovered Hile’s history, which showed she was unfit to teach these children.
- $225,000 Settlement – Abuse of Special Needs Preschool Student We were successful in obtaining a $225,000 settlement on behalf of a three-year-old preschool student and their family. The plaintiff was grabbed violently by their arm by the teacher causing marks, which were caught on video. The child’s teacher was arrested and pled guilty. The child’s teacher had prior incidents, although none of them were as significant in comparison to what happened with our client.
- $3,700,000 Combined Settlements – Victims of Child Abuse Preschool teachers at the Early Child Center of a prestigious church in the Sarasota area were physically abusing children over a long period of time. Abuse included slamming children to the ground, force-feeding them, embarrassing them, etcetera. A school administrator who was told of the abuse by a teacher’s aide declined to act, and told the aide to keep quiet. Multiple families have come forth and there may still be more children yet unidentified who were abused as well, so final settlement is still pending as of early 2008. We estimate the total settlement of these cases to be approximately $3.7 million. The school has since been closed down as a result of our findings.
- $1,027,000 Verdict – Medical Malpractice for Failure to Diagnose Florida teenager was rushed to the hospital for groin pain and was misdiagnosed by the emergency room physician as having a testicular infection. The doctor misdiagnosed the true injury, which was a testicular torsion, and he only had hours to appropriately diagnose and treat the torsion. Due to the misdiagnosis, the boy was sent home and ultimately lost one testicle. The jury awarded the plaintiff $900,000 in pain and suffering. The balance of the verdict was for medical expenses and court costs.
- $9,500,000 Brain Injury Settlement
- $1,000,000 Negligent Security, Assault and Battery - Verdict
- $550,000 - Auto Accident - Verdict
- 1,000,000 Premises Liability
- $50,000,000 Class Action settlement (Executive Committee)
- $7,000,000 Class Action (co-lead counsel)
Office location for Adam M. Balkan
1877 South Federal Highway
Boca Raton, FL 33432
- Super Lawyers: 2015 - 2023
These comments were made by fellow attorneys during the annual nomination process.
“Adam Balkan is a zealous advocate for his clients. He has won numerous 7 & 8 figure verdicts. Outstanding!”
“a fierce fighter”