William J. Cornwell
Top rated general litigation attorney in Boca Raton, FloridaWeiss, Handler & Cornwell, P.A.
William J. Cornwell heads the civil trial and litigation sections and is a partner at the Weiss, Handler & Cornwell, P.A., in Boca Raton, Florida. With more than three decades of experience in the litigation field, he represents clients throughout the state, helping them with legal matters involving:
· Construction litigation
· Securities transactions
· Medical malpractice
· Products liability
· Contract disputes
· Property rights
· Class actions
A Georgia State University graduate, Mr. Cornwell obtained his B.B.A. in 1982 and his law degree in 1985. During law school, he was the president of the Student Bar Association and a member of the Moot Court Society. He is licensed to practice in Georgia and Florida, and admitted before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit, the U.S. District Courts for the Middle and Northern Districts of Georgia, the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida, the Supreme Court of Georgia and the Georgia Court of Appeals.
Mr. Cornwell maintains professional affiliations with the State Bar of Georgia, The Florida Bar, the American Bar Association and the American Association for Justice. Furthermore, he also served as an instructor at the Georgia Institute for continuing legal education from 1995 to 1997.
Recognized for his high ethical standards and professional achievements in the legal field, Mr. Cornwell has been peer-review rated AV Preeminent* through Martindale-Hubbell. Having handled several complex litigation cases over the course of his legal career, he has gained extensive trial expertise, analytical skills and excellent communication abilities. He has helped his clients get several multimillion-dollar verdicts and settlements.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer-review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasGeneral litigation, Business litigation, Class action/mass torts: plaintiff, Construction litigation: business
Litigation, Trade secret, Non-compete agreements, Class actions, Construction defects
- 40% General litigation
- 40% Business litigation
- 10% Class action/mass torts: plaintiff
- 10% Construction litigation: business
First Admitted: 1988, Florida
Professional Webpage: https://www.weisshandler.com/attorney/william-j-cornwell/
- State Bar of Georgia
- Student Bar Association, President, 1984
- The Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- American Bar Association
- The Florida Bar
- Georgia State University, Atlanta, Georgia, B.B.A. - 1982
- Bill and the skilled attorneys and staff members working with him have obtained verdicts and settlements in excess of $100,000,000 on behalf of a broad array of clients ranging from individuals to large corporations. Recent jury verdicts include: $11 million against Volkswagen in a product liability action stemming from the tragic death of a 16-year-old girl, and another in excess of $4.2 million in a construction defect case against a builder/developer. In addition, Bill has successfully defended numerous claims against large and small businesses, institutions, and municipal organizations, including the Palm Beach Sheriff's Office, the City of Delray Beach, and the City of Port St. Lucie. Bill also defends professional negligence claims against the full spectrum of professionals.
Office location for William J. Cornwell
2255 Glades Rd
Boca Raton, FL 33431-7313
- Super Lawyers: 2023