David M. Garvin
Top rated white collar crimes attorney in Coral Gables, FloridaDavid M. Garvin, PA
Renown for numerous Not Guilty verdicts in federal white collar crime cases, David M. Garvin focuses his practice primarily on providing defense representation to clients, throughout the state of Florida and nationwide, who have been accused by the federal government of income tax fraud, securities law violations, bank fraud, wire fraud, mail fraud and money laundering. Mr. Garvin maintains his offices in Miami, Florida and for over 35 years has successfully presented an array of doctors, accountants lawyers, businessmen, celebrities and politicians. Mr. Garvin has earned the representation of being the lawyers' lawyer.
Sample jury trial verdicts include:**
United States vs. S.G. Case number 5:17-CR-366-Adams Not Guilty All 30 Counts;
United States vs. N.M. Case number 15-CR-20258-Graham Not Guilty on All Counts;
United States vs. J.P.M. Case number 12-CR-60025-Williams Not Guilty on All Counts;
United States vs. H.C.N. Case Number 08-CR-20916-Graham Not Guilty on All Counts;
United States vs. T.P. Case Number 09-CR-6525-Collier Not Guilty on All Counts;
United States vs. C.T.U. Case Number 98-CR-398-Seitz Not Guilty on All Counts;
United States vs. R.R Case Number 13-CR-20346-Ungaro Not Guilty on All Counts;
United States vs. D.A. Case Number 04-CR-20190-Altonaga Not Guilty on All Counts;
United States vs. T.E. Case Number 98-CR-511-Lenard Not Guilty on All Counts;
United States vs. J.R. Case Number 13-CR-20346-Ungaro Not Guilty on All Counts.**
Mr. Garvin earned his Bachelor of Business Administration in accounting from the University of Miami in 1978. In 1982, he was awarded his Juris Doctor by the University of Miami School of Law, graduating cum laude. Five years later, he obtained an LL.M in taxation, also from the University of Miami School of Law. He is a certified public accountant, passing the Florida examination in 1982. Admitted to practice in Florida, Mr. Garvin is also admitted to practice before the United States Tax Court, the U.S. Court of Federal Claims, the U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Northern and Middle Districts of Florida, and the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the 6th, 8th and 11th Circuits. Mr. Garvin is certified as a specialist in tax law by The Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization and Education, and he is a member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.
Over the course of his career, Mr. Garvin has received numerous honors. The Daily Business Review named him as the Most Effective Lawyer in the area of criminal law for 2014. The Daily Business Review selected Mr. Garvin as the most effective lawyer in 2010 in the area of complex litigation. Mr. Garvin has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America. Attorney at Law Magazine named Mr. Garvin to its list of "12 to Watch in 2012". He has received an AV Preeminent* peer review rating through Martindale-Hubbell and a 10.0 "Superb" peer review rating through Avvo.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
** Past trial outcomes do not guarantee future results. Each case has its own unique facts. The list is only a partial list of the firm's cases.
Practice areasCriminal defense: white collar, Tax: business
White collar crime, Criminal law - federal, Tax law
- 60% Criminal defense: white collar
- 40% Tax: business
First Admitted: 1982, Florida
Professional Webpage: https://www.davidmgarvin.com/
- LLM in Taxation from University of Miami 1987.
- Winner of the Daily Business Review "Most Effective Lawyer for 2010" in the area of complex litigation. Winner of the Daily Business Review "Most Effective Lawyer for 2014" in the area of criminal law.
- Florida Bar Certified as a specialist in tax law since 1990. Also, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) since 1982., 1990
- Helio Castroneves (3 time Indianapolis 500 winner), Demetrios Armadoros, Artur E. Teele, Jr. (former Commisioner of Miami), Alex Daoud (former Mayor of Miami Beach),Timothy Parkes,Nations Business Center [Abelardo Cruz],Alfred E. & Mary Schaer.Terry Elliot,Scott Levine,Cleo Perfume, and Unkle., 2009
- Attorney at law magazine wrote "By taking cases many attorneys simply wouldn't touch, Garvin has made a name for himself in the Miami area and across the country. He has more criminal tax defense victories than any other lawyer in the southeast United States, and perhaps, the entire US", One of the twelve to watch, Attorney at law magazine, 2012
- The Daily Business Review awarded Mr. Garvin with The Most Effective Lawyer in the Complex Category and wrote "The United States (IRS) sought the "Business Death Penalty" against Nation's Business Service. The Unites States alleged that Nation's Business Service prepared over 4,000 fraudulent tax returns each year during the period commencing 2004 through 2008. The United States also claimed that it had lost over $50,000,000 in tax revenue each year as a result of the tax returns prepared by Nation's Business Service. Following a 2 week trial the Court ruled against the permanent bar that the government sought. The Unites States appealed and claimed the trial court had abused it's discretion. The 11th. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in favor of Nation's Business Service. Retired United States Supreme Justice Sandra Day O'Connor wrote the opinion. “Up until then, the IRS had won every case it ever brought in which it sought an injunction or the ‘death penalty,’ ” said Miami attorney David Garvin, who represented Cruz. “Up until now, the ball was rolling downhill like an avalanche.”, Most effective lawyer in the complex category, Daily Business Review Publication, 2010
- In 2003, Mr. Garvin was selected for membership in the Outstanding Lawyers of America Association. (Membership is limited to 100 attorneys in each state.) In 1992, Mr. Garvin received the Who's Who award.
- A brief introduction on the services and steps to take when under investigation., Law Offices of David M. Garvin, P.A., Tax Law, 2012
- Representative verdicts. (Samples, list is not exhaustive.) United States v. S.G., 5:17CR366,(2018), United States v. N.M., Case No. 15-20258 (Not guilty all counts); United States v. J.R., Case No. 13-20346 (Not guilty all counts); United States v. J.M., Case No. 12-CR-60025 (Not guilty all counts); United States v. T.P., Case No. 09-6525 (Not guilty all counts); United States v. H. C., Case No. 08-20916 (Not guilty all counts); United States v. D.A., Case No. 04-20190 (Not guilty all counts); United States v. T.E., Case No. 98-511 (Not guilty all counts); United States v. C.U., Case No. 98-398 (Not guilty all counts); State v. A.T. Case No. 2007 (Not guilty all counts)., 2018
- The Miami Herald wrote "Bank Fraud Conviction Reversed In Benton Bank Case, Defendant Released; Attorney David M. Garvin Successfully Appeals District Court Conviction" White collar criminal defense attorney David M. Garvin today announced the successful appeal of the bank fraud conviction of Timothy Parkes in a case involving the former Benton Bank in Polk County, Tenn. On Feb. 2, the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals issued its unanimous decision in the case of United States v. Timothy Parkes, Case No. 09-6525, reversing convictions of bank fraud on all counts and granting the defendant's motion for judgment of acquittal. The court held that the district court had incorrectly denied Parkes' motion for acquittal following the jury trial., 2012
- Mr. Garvin is a member of the South Florida Tax Litigators Association., 2019
Office location for David M. Garvin
2333 Ponce de Leon
Coral Gables, FL 33134
- Super Lawyers: 2006 - 2013, 2015 - 2023